Sprint strafing problem

• Abusive, unrealistic tactic.

I understand that this game isn’t about realism. But in my opinion, this tactic detracts from the game play experience.

The speed at which you can circle strafe in this game needs to be addressed. The best players have been forced to exploit this tactic to compete. The pacing in MW makes it so that sprint strafing isn’t as much an issue. MW has it’s own issues, but this isn’t one of them.

The whole thing is pretty silly to watch, and frustrating to take part in. Combat has devolved into a constant sprinting joust, where players simply attack, and if the attack is not successful, they turn their backs and sprint off to the side. And even if you have a bead on them, using anything other than the longest range 2 handed weapons, you will miss your attack, simply because sprinting in combat is too fast.

They really need to look into slowing sprint down a bit while in combat, as this is yet another example of how 2 handed weapons carry an advantage over everything else, in conjunction with the range, knock back, and lack of penalty for exhausting stamina from excessive LMB spam.

• I never had a problem with people who circle strafed me. I either smacked them first or simply disengaged to go to another target. Or I duck them. Or I ripost parry into them. etc. Just play more and get better is all I can say.

• @Flippy:

I never had a problem with people who circle strafed me. I either smacked them first or simply disengaged to go to another target. Or I duck them. Or I ripost parry into them. etc. Just play more and get better is all I can say.

We’ve tested it extensively. If the attacker is using a 2handed weapon, a riposte with a 1hander is never fast enough to hit him before he’s sprinted out of range, unless one condition is met. You predict the way he’s going to run and start moving that direction WHILE you parry the attack. In that case you will catch him on the very edge of your attack range. The problem with this is, it forces way too much guess work and eliminates skill upon reaction as opposed to prediction. Add in the fact that there are more than 3 ways to sprint off to safety, and you’re introducing an element to the game that promotes random hack and slash instead of calculated skill based twitch combat.

We just think that if the sprint strafing is slowed down a bit in combat, that it would add a lot to the combat system overall, and help balance out the gap between 2handers and 1handers.

• I think you’re literally the only person I’ve heard say circle strafing is bad. I guess we have to nerf sprint. Or we can nerf the knockback on all weapons. Or you could get better at the game.

• A lot of the time people try this tactic and I just chase after them, stab them in the back, and hit them till they die lol. If you’re just standing there, letting them run around you in circles and play their game, then it’s no wonder you’re dying from it. This game is called Deadliest Warrior, not Nerfiest Warrior.

• What Flippy and Oy said basically.

• @Flippy:

I think you’re literally the only person I’ve heard say circle strafing is bad. I guess we have to nerf sprint. Or we can nerf the knockback on all weapons. Or you could get better at the game.

Please be reasonable Flippy. Many people have complained about strafing and sprinting in fights. There are numerous threads speaking about Vanguards sprinting and turning with a slashes to try to stay out of range of enemies. Obviously this isn’t as big of an issue now since your sprint is stopped after you parry but in the past it was. Many people have talked about this sort of behavior in the past.

I also don’t appreciate you just telling people to get better. If that’s all you say then nothing will ever get balanced because you are scoffing at everyone’s impressions. Even a brand new player can provide valuable feedback.

As to this matter, the movement speed in DW is much faster than in MW. I imagine the issue that the OP is describing is happening because the opposing player is using a longer ranged weapon and is trying to get the OP to start a combo so they can hit guarantee a hit on them since you can’t parry once you combo. Does any of that sound about right Scy22?

• I’m sorry, Nick, but sprint lockout is bad and shouldn’t have been considered being added. It wasn’t an issue and it gave you more control/freedom over your character. You had a much better chance of dodging attacks/disengaging instead of being stuck and the game basically forcing you to parry. It’s just another thing that limits you, and for what?

This is mainly from a MW perspective. I haven’t played DW since beta. :o

Edit: I agree with you that there’s a much better way to state a point than saying “git gud”.

• @Ranulf:

Edit: I agree with you that there’s a much better way to state a point than saying “git gud”.

That’s all there is to say a lot of the time. If a noob says dragging is OP, what can you do besides tell him to get better and to learn to deal with it? If he thinks that you should not be able to manipulate your weapon in any way during windup or release, you can lay down all the facts and evidence you want to change his opinion. But he’ll still say “Dragging is too hard to read and parry hurr durr.”

Some people are just stupid, and want everything to be easy for them. I don’t understand why this game attracts so many mouth breathing casuals though. I mean good lord. Saying stuff like dragging is OP (and yes, I’ve heard many noobs say this dozens and dozens of times) would be like saying the AK47 is OP in Counter Strike. Or that rocket jumping in TF2 is cheap and unfair.

It’s the same thing with circle strafing. Boo hoo, someone runs around you and attacks you and you can’t parry it. Who’s fault is it? The game’s? Or maybe it’s the fact that you need to get better.

If one person can deal with it, and counter it, then every single other person can as well.

• “That’s all there is to say a lot of the time.”

Don’t worry it gets easier might be a nicer thing to say however… Or even making a suggestion, like try doing an alt lmb as you sprint after them (I don’t think I’m visualizing the situation 100% btw).

Flippy is right however, unless they are really good and have a playstyle around it after about 5 hours you do… better.

• @Dr.Nick:

Please be reasonable Flippy. Many people have complained about strafing and sprinting in fights. There are numerous threads speaking about Vanguards sprinting and turning with a slashes to try to stay out of range of enemies. Obviously this isn’t as big of an issue now since your sprint is stopped after you parry but in the past it was. Many people have talked about this sort of behavior in the past.

I also don’t appreciate you just telling people to get better. If that’s all you say then nothing will ever get balanced because you are scoffing at everyone’s impressions. Even a brand new player can provide valuable feedback.

As to this matter, the movement speed in DW is much faster than in MW. I imagine the issue that the OP is describing is happening because the opposing player is using a longer ranged weapon and is trying to get the OP to start a combo so they can hit guarantee a hit on them since you can’t parry once you combo. Does any of that sound about right Scy22?

Yes, you’re right Dr. Nick. The problem is really twofold. It has to do with the increased speed in DW, as opposed to the pacing in MW. In MW I don’t have a problem with sprint strafing, as the speed of the game doesn’t give a big enough advantage to do it. When people do do it, I usually don’t have a problem punishing it. And the second problem is weapon range. When you have a faster paced game, it gives longer ranged weapons a much bigger advantage when sprint strafing, simply as a byproduct. We think that this in turn is a huge reason 2handers have a distinct advantage in DW.

As for Flippy’s “omg l2p noob” comment. Well, he really isn’t worth the effort to argue with. I do find his quote to be incredibly ironic, though.

• But there is nothing else to it. If good players have no problem hitting strafers, then the only thing keeping others from doing it is lack of experience or reactive abilities.

• @B4RK:

But there is nothing else to it. If good players have no problem hitting strafers, then the only thing keeping others from doing it is lack of experience or reactive abilities.

Exactly. Why is it that myself and every other good player I know have had no problem dealing with people who circle-strafed them? Maybe because circle strafing isn’t abusive?

As for this little remark,

As for Flippy’s “omg l2p noob” comment. Well, he really isn’t worth the effort to argue with. I do find his quote to be incredibly ironic, though.

I guess you think the irony is that I’m a scrub and yet I’m telling you to get good when I myself, am bad. Well I challenge you to a First to 10 Duel. I’ll play on DW or MW, your choice. If I am a scrub, as you subtly implied, then you should have nothing to fear dueling me, since if I am a scrub I’ll be oh so easy to beat.

Just so you know who you’re calling a scrub though, let me show you some screenshots.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=196807209
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=196807192
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=206887626
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=208069336
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=210528804
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=197928310
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=197927474

Yup, I’m a real scrub all right. You have nothing to fear, so accept my challenge, or be a coward and hide behind these forums. (Unless of course you’re not in NA, in that case we can have a screenshot battle)

• I guess you think the irony is that I’m a scrub and yet I’m telling you to get good when I myself, am bad.

That’s not at all what I said. I referred to your quote. You should take a look at it. So in the spirit of that quote, i’ll let you continue on alone in your toxic little world. I think you’ve done enough to make yourself look like an ass.

• @scy22:

I guess you think the irony is that I’m a scrub and yet I’m telling you to get good when I myself, am bad.

That’s not at all what I said. I referred to your quote. You should take a look at it. So in the spirit of that quote, i’ll let you continue on alone in your toxic little world. I think you’ve done enough to make yourself look like an ass.

Ahhhh I see, you were referring to my Mark Twain quote.

Very well. I think I’ve done enough to make you look like a whiny little noob who cries about getting spammed to death by players that are better than you.

So I take it you don’t want to duel me? I want to duel you. I want to go archer and spam you to death rofl.

EDIT: Well fuck me. My sincerest apologies, the whole archer bit and the spammy bit were meant for HammerSword, who I’m arguing with in another thread, those remarks weren’t meant for you. Allow me to rephrase.

Very well, I think I’ve done enough to make you look like a whiny little noob who can’t handle some random pubbers in DW circle strafing you. It’s people like you who say shit like,

Abusive, unrealistic tactic

and

The best players have been forced to exploit this tactic to compete.

. For fuck’s sake why can’t you get it through your head? YOU NEED TO GET BETTER AT THE GAME TO DEAL WITH IT. Every player has the ability to become better and beat any strategy or tactic that gets thrown at them.

I guarantee you, if we were to duel in DW and/or MW and all you did was use the “abusive, unrealistic mechanic” that good players “exploit” I would destroy you, and so would anyone else who’s decent at the game.

You expect us to nerf the game down so it’s easier for you? I guess TB will, they’ve done it before.

• Holy e-dick batman.

• @Flippy:

Ahhhh I see, you were referring to my Mark Twain quote.

Very well. I think I’ve done enough to make you look like a whiny little noob who cries about getting spammed to death by players that are better than you.

So I take it you don’t want to duel me? I want to duel you. I want to go archer and spam you to death rofl.

I accept your challenge on his behalf. Both MW and DW, first to ten. Frankly, I think you’re being more than a bit abusive to a player whose opinion, while I don’t agree with it, was at least well thought out and nicely stated.

Also, shout out to Dr. Nick for his response to the OP. That’s how it is done, sir.

• @DrDiamond6:

I accept your challenge on his behalf. Both MW and DW, first to ten. Frankly, I think you’re being more than a bit abusive to a player whose opinion, while I don’t agree with it, was at least well thought out and nicely stated.

Also, shout out to Dr. Nick for his response to the OP. That’s how it is done, sir.

Fighting for the weak peasant? Noble, but foolish. Very well. Here is my Steam account. Go ahead and add me and we shall organize it. http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198017227177/

• This post is deleted!

• Lol I facepalmed.