So Why Has NA Not Switched Over to Chiv+?

• EU has, they got it figured out. So how come so many clans in NA refuse to scrim in Chiv+? Everyone in Tempest right now prefers Chiv+, but we still scrim in live because no other clans will scrim in Chiv+. So how come other clans refuse to scrim in Chiv+? It’s ridiculous. Isn’t it what you all wanted? No bubble, cftp, old stamina values etc. So why now are you staying with live?

I would like some actual, logical answers and not “Because NA clans are scrubs who like the bubble.” If you prefer the bubble and low stamina then fine, whatever. But why do you refuse to even do a fun 2v2 in Chiv+?

• From the comp NA players I’ve heard comment on it, it’s because they think the numerical balance of the live game is better (favors Knights and certain weapons less, more variety in loadout choice) and some of the live features are, if not perfect, better than the alternative - such as the bubble and feint window making lookdowns less instantaneous and unpunishable.

I think you’ll be hard pressed to find a current feature that is globally disliked. Which is why, to my understanding, Chiv+ is still looking at these mechanics and balance issues to determine what needs to change. Personally I think the mechanics of Deadliest Warrior solve a lot of the problems of current and old chiv better, from dodge to lookdowns to CFTP, but they may not fit the style and pace of chiv.

• Seriously SlyGoat, post more often.

• I played on a Chiv+ duel server the other day for the first time. It was a lot of fun. With that said, I think it’s already too late for any mod to save this game.

• @Flippy:

Seriously SlyGoat, post more often.

I cant relate to NA comp as a whole, i feel like there is a pretty large disconnect or divide between those that prefer live with some reservations and those that prefer prepatch with some reservations. I myself just cant go back to being a bubble boy. Matrixing and playing range with actaul punishment and less restricting stamina were the elements of this game i felt you could really sink your teeth into. Cant stress enough how good matrixing felt, especially early on with everyone experimenting and exploring the depth of those mechanics. Even now on chiv+ duels feel like such a more creative experience for me. I feel punishment of mistakes, mind games and player control are so restricted on the live build its like playing brawl when you can be playing melee. The feeling of moving your character out of the way with an attack qued to punish the other player is lost for me with panic parry. imo DW might have been different if they hadnt changed the windup and release right b4 launch (why even have testing grounds if your not going to let all the beta testers test such a big change and give feedback i will never know). I wish that clusterfuck of a cash tourney never played out how it did, because it was one of the few times tbs actually endorsed some comp play, since then the comp scene has felt like it lost its wind. I wish this game hadn’t taken such a radically different direction so long after release with modding tools still so many months away, i wish they had listened to the balance counsel or made sure the beta testing of huge changes were given much more feedback by much greater sample sizes. If the promise of promod wasnt on the table when the patch hit i would have uninstalled a long time ago, and maybe i should have, but this game fills a niche that no other game does, hopefully other companies see the money in this type of game, what can i do other than stop being a tbs customer, idk.

• I think pre-patch weapon balance was mostly worse. Everything else was better, bugs aside.

• @Flippy:

EU has, they got it figured out. So how come so many clans in NA refuse to scrim in Chiv+? Everyone in Tempest right now prefers Chiv+, but we still scrim in live because no other clans will scrim in Chiv+. So how come other clans refuse to scrim in Chiv+? It’s ridiculous. Isn’t it what you all wanted? No bubble, cftp, old stamina values etc. So why now are you staying with live?

I would like some actual, logical answers and not “Because NA clans are scrubs who like the bubble.” If you prefer the bubble and low stamina then fine, whatever. But why do you refuse to even do a fun 2v2 in Chiv+?

EU never switched to CHIV+ because most people just got used to the new patch - it’s easier now and they don’t want it to be harder again, especially these weaker clans who are semi-decent now. Skill ceiling is lower and these fresh clans are happy about it and they know pretty well that the old patch isn’t any benefit for them since they never achieved their full potential.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

EU never switched to CHIV+ because most people just got used to the new patch - it’s easier now and they don’t want it to be harder again, especially these weaker clans who are semi-decent now. Skill ceiling is lower and these fresh clans are happy about it and they know pretty well that the old patch isn’t any benefit for them since they never achieved their full potential.

Huh, for some reason I had the impression that EU had made the switch.

It’s real sad honestly. Nabster put all that hard work into making a mod so the comp scene could be happy again. Now that it’s out, nobody wants to make the switch. I mean I don’t care if you prefer post patch or pre-patch, at least give it a damn try. I was trying to convince someone last night to at least try a scrim in Chiv+ and he said “Nobody wants to play it.” (funnily enough, just as Rumpel said it was a semi-decent new clan).

By the way, I don’t have any pre-patch bias. I came around in July. I did get the game at release and played 100 hours, but then I quit for whatever stupid reason. So when I went into Chiv+ I went in without any kind of expectations. I absolutely loved it.

• As I am a poor pub knight with no clan to call home :( endlessly hunted down for my armour and boots by vans , archers and maa’s, you clan players are lucky to have such a nice mod as chiv+ made with you in mind, at least try it for a few months as a clan. do some scrims and all that elitist stuff.

• @loin:

you clan players are lucky to have such a nice mod as chiv+ made with you in mind, at least try it for a few months as a clan. do some scrims and all that elitist stuff.

Exactly guys, the scrub pubber has got the right idea!

I’m just yanking your chain Loin, luv u.

• @Flippy:

Now that it’s out, nobody wants to make the switch.

Well to be fair almost all of the “older” players in EU (that are still playing) prefer chiv+, i asked many of them about it. The problem is there just isnt a competitive scene anymore lol and most comp players quit a long time ago

• I think Flippy is a prett cool guy. Eh posts good posts and doesn’t afraid of anything.

Also, I asked some guys in an “Old duel server” playing regular chiv why they weren’t playing +, to which they replied something along the lines of “Because I don’t want to learn two games”. That’s bullshit if you sak me, but okay.

Happy new years, anyway. Hope you all had a good one.

• The problem is that the comp scene is already pretty much dead; there are rarely any new clans sprouting up, and when they do they get waxed and disband without getting any better (losing means getting better), also most new clans consist of the same recycled players (new player interest in the competitive scene is very rare, and that’s a whole other problem for another post). Right now it seems like there’s a pool of 6-7 clans (being generous) who are “active” and the majority of them consist of players recruited post-patch, so none of them really want to switch over as they’re content with the way live works.

Also I 100% agree with everything Guru said, I find Chiv+ to be a lot more skillful than live and generally a more pleasant experience.

• @Flippy:

Seriously SlyGoat, post more often.

Down with Slygoat

Long live Flippy

• What did I do to get praise from 2 people? I mean I appreciate it, but I don’t know.

• @Flippy:

What did I do to get praise from 2 people? I mean I appreciate it, but I don’t know.

He is the one agent smith is looking for him now hehe. poor slygoat the ori did not have a chance.

• first off there’s no comp scene really at all in NA, and 2. i have no idea of anyone that played competitively before that thinks the live mechanical changes are better.

did sly say people like the bubble and that i doesn’t allow the same lookdown overheads?

come on sly, when’s the last time you played? Must have heard that from lemon or something. He doesn’t speak for the community.

feint window was probably a good thing. combo/recovery parries were not.

i agree with rumpel, chiv+ IS harder to play, and even the comp players that play live now just aren’t what they used to be in chiv+, or maybe never even played beforee the patch… there’s another learning curve and people don’t want to learn to play again.

i miss the old chivalry because there was more skill ceiling to strive for, in this live version… you just plateau out and pretty much everyone just kind of sits on the same level class wise… you get so good, only experience so many different moves and playstyles and then basically that’s it. The level of mind games is so far gone, can’t fuck peopel in the head as much at all.

In the end, i’ll pretty much only be doing duels in chiv+ mod, the dueling experience of live hardly compares at all. If no one wants to actually start scrimming on it and shit, I’ll save the pub stomping for the live version where all the noobs play.

• I haven’t played Chivalry long enough to know about the whole June patch issue, but I agree with Clay’s last 2 paragraphs. Chiv+ definitely seems to raise the skill ceiling, especially for a player like me who dedicates most of his time to one weapon. I mean, I even played with you in the Chiv+ duel server earlier, you saw how much harder it was for me to beat people. I think it’s a great thing, because it forces me to go through trial and error to be able to beat someone even once, let alone consistently, and if it’s the same experience in scrims, I say I’m all for it.

We’ll just have to see, though!

• @Shack:

I haven’t played Chivalry long enough to know about the whole June patch issue, but I agree with Clay’s last 2 paragraphs. Chiv+ definitely seems to raise the skill ceiling, especially for a player like me who dedicates most of his time to one weapon. I mean, I even played with you in the Chiv+ duel server earlier, you saw how much harder it was for me to beat people. I think it’s a great thing, because it forces me to go through trial and error to be able to beat someone even once, let alone consistently, and if it’s the same experience in scrims, I say I’m all for it.

We’ll just have to see, though!

Shack I’m really liking your posts. You should come to the forums more often. We can bump butts later, if you’re down.

• <3

So down.