Sword of war

• Reading around the forums there is this odd thing going around that is suggesting that sword of war is considered a good weapon, even OP by some. So I wanted to ask what is that about? What is it that with the sword of war?

I played with it for a while indeed, and I can’t say it’s bad or anything but the moment I switched back to longsword it just felt all better. It just not only feels, but looking at the spreadsheets, it also looks that the longsword is superior in almost every way to the sword of war. Sure SoW has a bit of extra speed but the damage difference, especially when one-handed is just too much of a trade, or at least it looks like that to me.

Am I missing something? Or is it just sarcasm going on around the SoW that I failed to understand?

• You are reading old threads from before The Patch.

• @dudeface:

You are reading old threads from before The Patch.

Haha, yeah.

• @quigleyer:

Haha, yeah.

LS and SOW used to be really good swords. Now they’re just swords.

LS is STILL really good in my opinion.

And the SOW… It became a stabweapon I guess. I see everyone stabbing with it. And the stabs are so fast…

• I see, well I am pretty sure I was looking at fairly recent posts and the patch is pretty old too. But I guess they were just echoes of the old SoW.

• The old SoW lives on in our hearts.

And in Chiv+ mod, I guess.

• You can still latefeint with SOW.
    Other than that it’s the prepatch SOW that was bullshit, hits during windups faster than live claymore and so on. It was dumb and I’m happy TB made some good decisions when it came to balancing it.

• SoW continues to be superior to the longsword in every way, outside negligible range. SoW has fewer hits to kill on every class, is far more versatile, is faster, and is better in one hand.

It’s just, there’s so many better options for solo pubbing than either of them.

• Yes. after reading this thread: http://forums.tornbanner.com/showthread.php/17359-Longsword-in-the-competive-scene
    that I coincidentally found after starting this one I gave the SoW another shot and I must confirm most of what is said there. The SoW is faster while requiring the same amount of hits to kill classes against which it matters, and actually one less stab to kill a vanguard. In 2H version is better, faster. But in 1H version it seems only as a stabbing version and longsword might still be better.

• @Xylvion:

You can still latefeint with SOW.
    Other than that it’s the prepatch SOW that was bullshit, hits during windups faster than live claymore and so on. It was dumb and I’m happy TB made some good decisions when it came to balancing it.

Funny because it was rarely used in European competitive scene before the nerf. Only Crushed was using it consistently AFAIR.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

Funny because it was rarely used in European competitive scene before the nerf. Only Crushed was using it consistently AFAIR.

I never understood why EU players never used SoW over longsword, never will, and still to this day hate them because they got the longsword nerfed for absolutely no reason at all because it didn’t need it. It was the most perfectly balanced weapon in the game that no one could complain about since it was completely fair in every aspect. Now it’s trash.

• i still like longsword better, mostly because it takes less hits to kill on a knight, it should only take 3 while the sow CAN take 4 hits to kill. I also like it’s drag ability more and you get a bit more range with it as well.

• @SOC:

I never understood why EU players never used SoW over longsword

@50ShadesofClay:

drag ability

/10characters

• I’ve always been able to drag just as well with the SoW, basically meaning it’s a faster stronger better longsword with negligible less range. There’s literally nothing the longsword can do better than the SoW that ever made or makes it worth using.

• Yeah the SoW in 1 hand is the best - beats long sword, mainly cos of speed. I’m a European SoW user BTW. It was better before the patches nerfed it true - but i think its still an excellent high skill weapon

• @MassiveChaos:

Yeah the SoW in 1 hand is the best - beats long sword, mainly cos of speed. I’m a European SoW user BTW. It was better before the patches nerfed it true - but i think its still an excellent high skill weapon

Had a look at the weapon spreadsheet? I used to use LS + kite then SoW + kite, but in the last week or so I’ve reverted back to LS purely for the fact that SoW is weaker than the broadsword in one hand (in both damage and speed), and becomes heavily reliant on stabs. The LS on the otherhand has a far stronger overhead, identical windup times and a longer release allowing for slightly extended drags, whilst retaining the slight damage advantage over the broad and norse.

• @SOC:

SoW continues to be superior to the longsword in every way, outside negligible range. SoW has fewer hits to kill on every class, is far more versatile, is faster, and is better in one hand.

It’s just, there’s so many better options for solo pubbing than either of them.

^ This is it in a nut shell.

I’d love it if people could specify 2h LS or 1h LS, because yes the 2h LS is good but the 1h LS is really sub par compared to just about any other loadout.

And yes the SoW is a stabbing weapon, so it does fit that everyone tends to use it that way XD

The one problem with the SoW is that the 2h stab animation floats a bit too far in front of the player model and this tends to cause the windup/release phase to start in or very nearly in the opponent’s player model and that is a bad thing when it is abused.

• like i said, longsword is my preference. perhaps we have different playstyles to where mine finds ways that the longsword is better than the sword of war. i just don’t think the sword of war is the end all be all knight sword. I also like the messer sword and there’s plenty of things it does well without being the fastest poker. and you certainly can NOT drag the sword of war as well as the longsword. ANY sword of war drag in this live game now is a joke to parry, its so easy you can pretty much right click at any time with virtually no timing and still land a parry against a sword of war. Because why kids? because the bubble. Look at solo dolo, which is like the best duelist right now since winning the last 1v1 tourney… longsword baby.

i’m still using longsword now in chiv+ duels which is how the game was pre-patch… and the sow was BETTER than, and i STILL prefer it over the sword of war because IMO it’s better.

just comes down to preference.

also, sow doesn’t have fewer hits to kill on all classes:

longsword 1 shot archer
    sow can not

longsword and sow 2 hits for maa

longsword and sow 2 hit vanguard

longsword 3 hit knight
    sow CAN 3 hit knight but no guarantee, can take up to 4.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

I know that both Thomi and Ilos used it.

• @50ShadesofClay:

like i said, longsword is my preference. perhaps we have different playstyles to where mine finds ways that the longsword is better than the sword of war.

I just completely disagreee. There’s no preference or different kind of style to play that would ever make the longsword better than SoW. I don’t know why you think you dragging SoW is so easy to parry, I have many hours with both longsword and SoW and I drag the SoW just as well as the longsword.

@50ShadesofClay:

also, sow doesn’t have fewer hits to kill on all classes:

longsword 1 shot archer
    sow can not

longsword and sow 2 hits for maa

longsword and sow 2 hit vanguard

longsword 3 hit knight
    sow CAN 3 hit knight but no guarantee, can take up to 4.

You’re right about the archer, but it happens so rarely that I forget about it a lot. Longsword has an extremely difficult time 2 shotting vanguards, so the SoW easily takes that with two torso stabs. Longsword takes 4 hits to kill knights wayyyyyyy more often than the SoW, the SoW 3 hits knights far more consistently than the longsword now. As for MaAs, I find the longsword to take 3 hits to kill more often especially when stabs are involved. The SoW is faster and better stabs so it 2 shots more often.

I -want- the longsword to be better and an alternate to the SoW. But it’s not. It’s just an inferior weapon.