Feint controversy/ Remove offensive feint?

• Feint has been with chivalry since the beginning of medieval warfare and ever since there has been a lot of complains about it. Even now after several patches that intended to nerf it, it remains a feature that is looked down upon by the majority. TB stated they are looking into it and are trying to find a solution that would be more fun for everybody, doesn’t quite seem like they have any luck in that. And so I ask how much do you think that feint is necessary, yes people are complaining, flaming it but do they think that it can be removed just like that?

Nevertheless feint is needed for other things, not only getting a hit through. I use feint to avoid hitting a teammates should they suddenly charge in front of me or to interrupt a combo when the target died already and many more non-offensive uses. What I propose is keeping the feint, albeit without its offensive uses, and maybe even allow feinting into parry and actually bringing the CFtP back.

The idea is further increasing the recovery from a feint, so the delay before the next attack can be made is longer and the other player has enough time to recover from their parry and parry again. This would purge the offensive use of a feint, to throw opponent off-timing, to get a free hit, but would keep the feint mechanic to avoid the situations where you begin an attack but the conditions change but you cannot do anything anymore because you already clicked. Connected with this would also be removing that mechanic that prevented feint at certain point during windup.

The second proposition is treating feint as a special recovery state. As result players would be able to panic parry during it and therefore a certain kind of CFtP mechanic, as well as simple FtP, although with greater stamina cost would reappear. This would indeed provide a way to make up for mistakes but with quite the penalty on stamina, as you not only pay for feint but also for the panic parry and finally for parrying, loosing at least 35% if not more of your stamina, especially when you are not a knight.

An interesting idea connected with removing the offensive feint would be allowing to feint an attack at any point, even during release, to avoid hitting a teammate but that would clash with the panic parry option.

As a downside of this would be indeed the fact that fights would be more likely to drag out and end up in who runs out of stamina first

And so I ask do people think that feint is afterall still needed. Because the feint is basically a way to get a free hit on any common pub player, and even the best of the best can be thrown off by a well placed feint, not a simple one but a feint during combo after successful hit, sometimes you just can’t afford to risk and wait and have to take your chances and parry but the opponent is already a step ahead with a feint. They might fall for it, they might not.

I’d like to see what people think, CFtP is not coming back as it used to be but we could get it back as a different feature. Similarly panic parry is not going and so why not take advantage of it?

• Delete the entire game and start over.

• People still whine about feints? My god.

• where is the option to buff feints? why is this poll so biased? are you fucking retarded?

• Fight with your ears not your eyes, A strong Knights advice. This was in the training game I thought so just leave it alone tbh.

• A feint thread, how fascinating…

• Remove recovery parry, re-add combo feint to parry.

• @loin:

Fight with your ears not your eyes, A strong Knights advice.

I’m not sure what to make out of that. Are you talking about the grunts? Yes in DW they are quite audiable but not all that in MW, if they are actually synced. Either way, what is the best time to parry a face-hugged stab? You wait a bit more and the lag causes you to be already marked for doom should they not be planning on a feint.

@rumpelstiltskin:

People still whine about feints? My god.

No, if you actually read the post, you’d find that this thread is not whining, instead it is asking whether or not are people whining as well as representing an idea. A reason why my idea is not good is all I am asking for

@CRUSHED:

where is the option to buff feints? why is this poll so biased? are you fucking retarded?

Because anyone and everyone with at least half of a brain already realised that buff of the feint is not happening. CFtP was removed, TB has made it clear they never intended for it to be in-game yet people still whine about it. And so it is with feint, it was nerfed, nerfed for a reason btw, a buff is the last thing that is happening.

@dudeface:

Delete the entire game and start over.

Haha, right, go ahead. Why don’t you do it yourself afterall? No need to wait for them…

• I thought people finally stopped worrying about feints since they got nerfed. Please for the love of all things holy no more feint threads.

• This poll is not such a bad idea.
    The previous poll was old and the results were tainted because the poll did not have an end date - people were continuing to vote on a system that had changed over time.
    This poll will indicate how the current player base feel about feint mechanics as they are now.

• Buff feints. Feints are already nerfed and easy as fuck to counter. Why would you nerf it even more?

• @Flippy:

I thought people finally stopped worrying about feints since they got nerfed. Please for the love of all things holy no more feint threads.

It’s annoying isn’t it?
    It’s even worse ingame. I usually don’t feint. And that’s what makes my feints so effective. They think I never feint, so they’re surprised and almost never notice my feint in time.
    But that makes nearly everyone that got feinted cry around like hungry baby.

@afiNity:

Buff feints. Feints are already nerfed and easy as fuck to counter. Why would you nerf it even more?

Because people are butthurt and too lazy to learn countering them.

• The live feints are fine. Just don’t parry instantly when your opponent moves. Its likely that most of the still existing issues actually come from something different like faulty animations or hitboxes (or just lag/ping).

If there was anything to be changed then the way the unfeintable window is applied. Right now almost every feint looks like twitching (indeed most real life feints also look like twitching). To make them a little prettier weapons could get some of their release time switched to windup. This way the window for feinting is a little bit larger without making them impossible to read.

A last thing: Removing feints would not “solve” the “issue” (people falling for fake attacks and refusing to learn proper parrying). The kind of player who complains about feints also falls for headbanging, turning, jumping etc. Even staring works!

• @Evil:

Even staring works!

This. Intimidation is an incredibly effective tool.

• Everyone hates getting feinted. But its part of the game and usually counter able.

if you remove feints more people would just delay attacks or use the swing and miss combo. So the problem of getting outwitted would still be there. Its not even a problem really.

• I never fall for feints… If you fall for a feint once, then you will usually assume the player will do more than one feint and you will keep learning to block more efficiently, start becoming a better player than making the game even easier.

• Feints are pretty good as they are atm, not unreadable yet very effective against bad players while still giving a decent chance to beat a better player with them.
    However, I miss CFTP system and somewhat miss the old feints that couldn’t be read, because they would create very fast and volatile fights.

• @Pungvarg:

Feints are pretty good as they are atm, not unreadable yet very effective against bad players while still giving a decent chance to beat a better player with them.
    However, I miss CFTP system and somewhat miss the old feints that couldn’t be read, because they would create very fast and volatile fights.

Well the feints were OP. You couldn’t do anything about it. Feinting = win back then.

The the less amount of feints you do the more likely they are to succeed as your opponent isn’t expecting them. I get successfully feinted by bloody rank 5s more than experienced players. Ones that found out how to do in in the training level. I don’t think for a second they they are gonna do a feint so I’ve parried already and suddenly they feint and I can’t do anything. With certain players you are up against you know they are gonna do it. So you parry late or you just know in certain situation that they are gonna feint.

If you changed your username and customisation I bet feints will be far more successful again for you.

• That’s why you always parry late against a bad player. (under level 20)
    Because they could always feint, and are most likely not going to drag.

Dragging is becoming demonized as much as feints nowadays anyway. People scream and cry like 5 year olds whenever I drag them, and say ‘‘Oh you’re a dragger…No respect for you then.’’

Soon we’ll only be able to do Accelerations + …uhm, stabs? Gotta love the mentality of the new pubplants.

• @Pungvarg:

That’s why you always parry late against a bad player. (under level 20)
    Because they could always feint, and are most likely not going to drag.

Dragging is becoming demonized as much as feints nowadays anyway. People scream and cry like 5 year olds whenever I drag them, and say ‘‘Oh you’re a dragger…No respect for you then.’’

Soon we’ll only be able to do Accelerations + …uhm, stabs? Gotta love the mentality of the new pubplants.

God damnit, some pubber started calling me a “clan fag dragger.” the other day. I was flabbergasted by his stupidity.

I proceeded to grab a Zwei and drag him down to Hades itself until he ragequit.