Please make archers more realistic

• Like this guy shows they were https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2zGnxeSbb3g

That is all :D

For those who don’t care to watch it shows a guy using an ancient bow draw method that allows him to loose 3 arrows in under a second. Faster than the fictional character Legolas lol.

• That reminds me of diablo 1.
    Archery had always been about rate of fire over accuracy.
    The best way to bring this to C:MW would be to remove the zoom function of archers. You could remove the cursor also but as people mention you could just put a mark in the center of the screen.
    edit:
    hmm, you’d also have to remove changing FOV on the fly (by console) as that is used in conjunction with zoom.

• That is amazing. Wow.

• i’ve seen this, but it wouldn’t be very balanced for a game now would it?

i bet also that in real life people could swing swords and axes faster or daggars and such… but that woudn’t be very balanced either.

• The majority of archers already play this way.
    The more dedicated archers are the ones who have turned their ranged weapons into sniper rifles with FOV macros and zoom etc etc.
    Either way i’m not overly fussed because archers don’t give me a real hassle. Smoke bomb or shield ftw, but i think the game would be more fun if something like this was implemented. Its a much better idea the nurfing their ammo count or tying their hand behind their back……
    I don’t think archers need nurfing, i find archery in this game a challenge (as i dont use this fancy macro), its just an idea and i think its a better idea then a nurf.

• @giantyak:

The majority of archers already play this way.
    The more dedicated archers are the ones who have turned their ranged weapons into sniper rifles with FOV macros and zoom etc etc.
    Either way i’m not overly fussed because archers don’t give me a real hassle. Smoke bomb or shield ftw, but i think the game would be more fun if something like this was implemented. Its a much better idea the nurfing their ammo count or tying their hand behind their back……
    I don’t think archers need nurfing, i find archery in this game a challenge (as i dont use this fancy macro), its just an idea and i think its a better idea then a nurf.

It’s “nerf”. And why the hell did you start blabbing about archer nerfs when this thread is to showcase the fact modern archers have forgotten an ancient technique allowing them to shoot arrows much faster? I mean then there’s going off topic, then there’s this.

• What an exciting video yawns it reminds me of the bbc test card picture do google that. I will now be adding a thumbs down.
    utter rubbish tbh.

• An idea for a new bow? :)

• So you want the archer to become even better in ranged combat… Okay… Well that’s the point of the archer. But before making him better, I’d rather say make the archer less effective in melee combat. So damn annoying how an archer easily defeats a knight in melee combat by just running left and right and spamming his attacks until the knights down… The flinch in release bug, which still isn’t fixed makes it even worse…
    A good archer just TOPS every scoreboard.

• This proves archers should be able to jump and kick while firing the bow.

• Why not give them op moves like the Vans and Maa’s ? What about that Fatal Fury move or a SFII fireball hyo ken!
    home seeking heat arrows once shot at simply follow its target.

• @Peter:

So you want the archer to become even better in ranged combat… Okay… Well that’s the point of the archer. But before making him better, I’d rather say make the archer less effective in melee combat. So damn annoying how an archer easily defeats a knight in melee combat by just running left and right and spamming his attacks until the knights down… The flinch in release bug, which still isn’t fixed makes it even worse…
    A good archer just TOPS every scoreboard.

the thing about archer melee is … all you need is one feint :D

• @50ShadesofClay:

Lol no… MOst of the archers don’t even look. They just spam their attacks. Feinting will just result in a free hit for them.
    Feints are readable anyways, so no guaranteed hit (at least not with slower weapons like the greatsword, which I use most).

SOME fall for it and SOME are even to dumb to get near enough to hit you. But most of the Archers just rule the game. Funny on some servers. One time, the masons really had no chance on stoneshill, 2nd stage.

Agatha was nearly only archers. 10 Archers, 1 Knight, 1 Maa and me, a Vanguard. I felt sorry for the Masons. Arrows were raining onto them any made their heads explode. Not funny…

• @50ShadesofClay:

haha, so true. ;-)

• This video makes me wanna learn archery in real life

• @Peter:

slower weapons like the greatsword

wot

@OP
    Ranged is already too powerful in this game. Plus fast shooting with shortbow like in that video will not do that much against plate armor. This game is not realistic and believe me, you don’t want it to be.

• Yeah archers work on heavy targets when there’s 6000 archers. Even wearing heavy armour when enough arrows but you your armour is battered and so are you. Some may of peirced sweet spots too. Your armour would be very uncomfortable and some arrows would have penatrate deep enough to be stuck in your armour.

Though in MW neither knight is actually wearing proper thick plate armour. The Gathain knights looks like he is with his shoulder pads. But the agathain knight just has chamail and a coat of plates underneath that which is just lots of thin cheap plates often made of tin not iron or steel all stuck on leather by either a kind of glue or sown onto cloth or leather usually the latter. The mason knight is wearing this wierd studded leather coat of plates with a big plate in the middle of the front. So they both have weaker armour tha the stereotypical 15th century knights you see wearing full plate armour. And those full plate knights still managed to get slaughtered by longbowmen but only becuase they forgot their shields, decided to march close together and through mud. By the time they did reach the meekness lines they were tired, half dead or dead dead. And the archers who wore no armour and had hand axes and ha beta could easily cut them down along with around 1000 of their foot infantry. This was Agincourt. 9000-20000 French losses all noblemen or rich men and the English lot about 130 total. They had an exact number of English losses but I forgot. And those losses included the archers who they usually don’t count as archers are never noblemen or rich. By the English lost so few they counted them. 6000 English archers against an army of 22,000. The French had their own crossbowmen but decided they wouldnt need them as it would be a slaughter. And it was but not how they expected it. The French troops that didn’t fight aren’t counted in that 22,000.

In reality though in archer against one of those knights can fire all their munition against a single knight and not kill him. With one of the chivalry knights you could hurt him but be unlikely to kill him unless you get lucky using all your ammo. Most of your arrows would bounce off or peirce the armour by not having enough velocity to pierce the guys skin properly.

So the game compensates for there being a lack of archers by making armour not do much. As people want archer melee nerfed? You’re lucky they don’t have axes.

• The video shows that you can fire arrows at a very high rate - with poor accuracy and power. As you can see he fires much slower when trying to penetrate the chain mail. But why not include the option to fire prematurely (which is exactly what is shown in the video) to gain a higher rate of fire?

If we want more realism we would also need some spread on the ranged weapons to make them less accurate at long distances (not speaking of video game shotgun spread). This would also increase the effect of shields and cover forcing Archers to get closer to actually hit partially protected targets (no more toe-sniping over the whole map).

And of course fix the magic pavise - I don’t want my cover blown up because its owner had an encounter with a wild arrow.

• I as archer am annoying to most people like this… no need for that. Good video but everyone would be playing archers then and here we go! Another CoD game… gj. -.-’

• @Evil:

If we want more realism we would also need some spread on the ranged weapons to make them less accurate at long distances (not speaking of video game shotgun spread). This would also increase the effect of shields and cover forcing Archers to get closer to actually hit partially protected targets (no more toe-sniping over the whole map).

As an archer, I agree with the above statement. It would definitely make archers a little more vulnerable if they wanted extra accuracy. Although I can see a bunch of snipers trying to defend themselves against their teammates if they have less accuracy at distance and hit their team.

Or they could reduce damage at long range instead, making archers have to get closer to do more damage, ala real life.