Samurai: Am I missing something?

• Hey guys,

Been playing DW for about 15 hours now but something has crossed my mind. I started as the Samurai and tried to main them, as well, samurai are badass. Thinking about it though I am starting to question what makes the samurai “unique” compared to the others.

For instance, in the tips menu it says that the Samurai are weak to piercing damage. Are any of the other classes weak to a certain type of attack? Seems a bit strange to have one class weak to a certain type of damage.

Secondly, the “damage whilst drawing the sword” unique “ability”….Seriously, to me this sucks balls. Maybe I am missing something with it, but I find it incredibly pointless. What about instead having the ability of the vanguard in MW and doing a small charging attack after running for a certain amount of time? That would be badass.

I am just a little dissapointed as it seems the others classes have a much more unique take on combat. Knights are tankier, Vikings are berserker crazy dudes and spartans have a unique attack set, ninjas can roll and lastly pirates are annoying as **** :p Just seems Samurai are missing something.

Any thoughts on this?

• @Heijoshin:

I am just a little dissapointed…

No… don’t! Get out of here before it’s too late! You’ll become one of us!!

• @Heijoshin:

I am just a little dissapointed

Welcome to Torn Banner forums.

• Global Moderator

Samurai deals the damage. They have the longest and highest damaging weapons and they aren’t slow. Their weakness is Spartans as they have no defensive against thrown spears.

And the draw attack ability was requested to death. Its also fun getting a draw kill. No one ever tries to parry it.

• The draw attack is deadly with the Nodachi, especially if you hit a guy whose charging you because you fed him an arrow or two.

The big bamboo bat and the Naginata are unbelievably effective for fighting multiple enemies. You can destroy 4 people at once with the Naginata if you’re pumped up.

The Yumi bow is seriously OP as fuck, whether you have one samurai shooting and a few melee’ing, or especially if you have a bunch of samurais with bows. A team of Samurais with Yumi’s can destroy a team of Pirates with pistols and blunderbusses ironically.

Samurai also has good speed and health, and he has kung fu punches. That’s all you need to know.

• Global Moderator

Yumi bow OP? It takes 3 body shots or 2 headshots to kill a pirate. And you only have 10 arrows.

• @Heijoshin:

For instance in the tips menu is says that the Samurai are weak to piercing damage. Are any of the classes weak to a certain type of attack? Seems a bit strange to have one class weak to a certain type of damage.

There does seem to be a general theme of ‘logic’ for what damage types affect what classes more, logic only really being so if you consider their armour. Heavier armoured classes such as the Knight, Samurai and so a lesser extent the Spartan, suffer heavily from blunt damage/piercing damage, whereas the lesser armoured classes take slashes heavier. It can take three hits with a mace to kill a Ninja, due to the blunt damage, but two to kill a Samurai/Spartan. For this reason the Poleaxe is touted as being the most ‘versatile’ weapon as it has an ability to do slash damage (slash), blunt damage (overhead) and piercing (Stab).

I do get what you mean about their seemingly large lack of specialties, though what I’ve really worked out is:
    They have possibly the most versatile range of weapons available to a class. Big blunt crushers, long slashers, long stabbers, short slash/stabbers, and the largest access to ranged weapons (by ammunition count) with the Yumi bow.

They have the drawslash which… at best I find to be a very mild and random ‘interrupter’ for someone’s attack. It’s little damage depending on the weapon but if someone is rushing at you and you time it, your slash will hit from nowhere and give you the upperhand. I have had a total of one kill with the draw-slash. It was a summers day on Isle, and it lopped off a weakened Pirate’s head as he charged at me. It was -beautiful-.

Just about all of their weapons are good for fending away groups, especially their large weapons. As they all seem to be rather adept at swinging left and right, similar to a Knight with a halberd, you can create a rather large deathzone around you.

Main drawback is that they have no shield but they believe that a shield is a manifestation of weakness so you don’t want that. Live your class.

• @lemonater47:

Yumi bow OP? It takes 3 body shots or 2 headshots to kill a pirate. And you only have 10 arrows.

Ok, listen. Like I said, when you have multiple Samurai firing it, or one acting as support archer while others fight, it’s ridiculously effective.
    When you weaken someone with 1 to 2 arrows and finish them in melee, it’s ridiculously effective.
    When you run around finishing off groups of fighting enemies from far away, it’s ridiculously effective.
    10 arrows is enough. It doesn’t matter if you have to 2 shot a pirate, since you can either melee him, finish him off if he’s wounded with 1 shot, or kill 5 pirates with 10 shots. Considering what a good melee fighter Samurai is and the kind of weapon variety he has, I stand by my original statement that giving him a Yumi is a huge advantage in most situations, especially in team games, unless he sucks.
    You simply look at damage and spreadsheets and try to cut and paste your balancing logic together, but there are a lot of other factors to consider.
    It could also be said that Viking’s throwing weapons are OP, or Pirate guns are OP, or the FUCKING NINJA STAFF is OP.

• @Oy:

Ok, listen. Like I said, when you have multiple Samurai firing it, or one acting as support archer while others fight, it’s ridiculously effective.
    When you weaken someone with 1 to 2 arrows and finish them in melee, it’s ridiculously effective.
    When you run around finishing off groups of fighting enemies from far away, it’s ridiculously effective.

This guy.

I’ve started using the Yumi simply because you can move forward loosing arrows and either weakening a charging enemy for an easier fight, or picking off wounded targets in a cluster-fuck. I maintain that the only MANLY way to use ranged weapons is to fire as you stride forward, and the sight of 4 shooting Samurai striding along the Isle bridge is just… destructive.

• @Jon:

This guy.

I’ve started using the Yumi simply because you can move forward loosing arrows and either weakening a charging enemy for an easier fight, or picking off wounded targets in a cluster-fuck. I maintain that the only MANLY way to use ranged weapons is to fire as you stride forward, and the sight of 4 shooting Samurai striding along the Isle bridge is just… destructive.

Right? Shoot a guy in the face, and when he gets pissed off and charges you, run toward him suddenly and hit him with a sword draw attack and he’s either dead or will die from a kick lol.

• Global Moderator

Yumi bow does hardly any damage and against heavier classes it won’t change the HTK. Using your melee weapon and supporting would be more effective.

• @lemonater47:

Using your melee weapon and supporting would be more effective.

Samurai.

Melee.

‘Supporting’, implying that most samurai are capable of helping teammates without chopping through them too?

ahahahahahasure.jpeg

• Global Moderator

We’ll if you manage to convince them to not use LMB then yes.

And its no difference than getting shot in the back is it? At less you can deal damage to your friend AND the enemy in one swing. You can’t do that with an arrow.

• @Heijoshin:

Well thought out grievances

Silence before you get banned for being “toxic” (saying anything bad about the game)

• No but like you said, an arrow does less damage. Keep ceaselessly defending an invalid point, L.

• lol i like the draw
    this one time in duel i 1v1’d a samurai he didnt hit me once then when he was at 1 hp i was did most badass draw kill. its like a pistol throw finish off its sick af and good against charging opponents who arent using the most longest weapon in the game.

• @Pesky:

lol i like the draw
    this one time in duel i 1v1’d a samurai he didnt hit me once then when he was at 1 hp i was did most badass draw kill. its like a pistol throw finish off its sick af and good against charging opponents who arent using the most longest weapon in the game.

……What

• @Jon:

……What

lol i like the draw

• Global Moderator

What sorta english to they teach in those Alaskan schools.

still find it hard to believe you are 22 or however old you said you were.

• wtf im not a disgusting american and even main land america has shitty education dont kid urself lil amerifats