What do you think about the bubble?

• To be honest, I personally like the bubble’s concept. I like what it intends to do. I like that it forces a reasonable amount of space between you and your enemy to prevent you from “face hugging” to an extreme that used to be possible. Yes, you could deal with that face hugging in the past and beat it, but it was an anti-fun part of the game IMO that didn’t feel enjoyable to do or deal with. But I don’t like the bugs that have come with it, how it un-naturally increases your hit box and “bounces” you around when bubbles collide. I don’t believe these things are intended, and I think these things are why everyone hates the bubble so much and want it gone.

But what do you think about it’s concept? It’s intention? Do you want the old face hugging back? Why or why not? Do you only dislike the bugs that came with it, or do you dislike it all together? I’m curious as to what you think.

• The bubble wouldn’t have been so bad if it didn’t completely nerf any sort of competent footwork.

• @Kim:

The bubble wouldn’t have been so bad if it didn’t completely nerf any sort of competent footwork.

Explain in more detail. I feel like footwork is far more important now than before with the removal of combo feint to parry and addition of recovery parry.

• The bugs with it will still happen as all it is is an extended collision radius from the origin collision radius which is a “bubble”. They would just happen less often.

The bubble is also different from the copies on box that collides with objects in the world. Its actually smaller than that slightly.

The bubble was a shortcut. When they could have altered tracers. As some weapons stab tracers started behind the parry. It wasn’t difficult to combat if you knew what you were doing. You only had to look left, right, up or down to parry things.

• I agree with everything that SOC said. Everyone hates on bubble too much. It’s not perfect but try to remember how it was without it. You could block but you would have to turn all the way around to block hatchet, was annoying.

• @SOC:

Explain in more detail. I feel like footwork is far more important now than before with the removal of combo feint to parry and addition of recovery parry.

You can’t walk around someone anymore like you used to; before if someone stabbed you could walk and rotate out of the way without parrying and hit them without them being able to drag it into you unless they know what you’re doing. Now with the bubble you just bump into them and you get hit.

I’m not saying that footwork is dead or useless with the bubble, but it just removed a lot of the depth.

• @Kim:

You can’t walk around someone anymore like you used to; before if someone stabbed you could walk and rotate out of the way without parrying and hit them without them being able to drag it into you unless they know what you’re doing. Now with the bubble you just bump into them and you get hit.

I’m not saying that footwork is dead or useless with the bubble, but it just removed a lot of the depth.

^ this. Combined with the sprint lockout, doing any kind of dancing (especially in a duel) is suicidal unless your opponent is a noob and tries to rush you.

In Chiv+ I love to circle strafe, it’s that high risk, high reward because I’m completely forgoing the parry to be able to get a guaranteed hit on him.

I don’t like what the bubble does at all. The game would be better without it. Of course yes there’s the problem with weapons like the fucking Hatchet. But honestly, I would much rather have a harder time parrying a weapon, than I would losing the ability to use footwork.

Also matrixing is soooo much better without the bubble. You can really miss someone by the skin of their teeth and then they can counter attack. Feels very fluid.

• Bubble is the cancer.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

Bubble is the cancer.

Sprint lockout is the HIV.

• Dancing looked ridiculous anyway. Though I liked outsmarting the dancers and kiters. But now they hardly do it. Kiting happens occasionally but nobody does the figure 8 LMB spam anymore. It wasn’t terribly hard to combat. You just had to do nothing. As they usuall stopped as it wasn’t working. Though a persistent dancer would keep going until your stamina ran out and you have very little chance of a successful attack that doesn’t hinder you.

The bubble doesn’t affect that nearly as much as the sprint lockout. Personally I think the sprint lockout was a good change.

And I see how the bubble affect matrixing. It doesn’t stop you from doing it.

• I’m ambivalent about the bubble for the reasons already mentioned ITT.

• I have not experienced any problem with the bubble.
    If i was ever going to have had a problem with the bubble it would have been when i was unlocking the daggers and xbows recently, but no problems.
    Good footwork and timing has always been what i have focused on since day 1; i don’t use feint, ridiculous FoV, or abuse turn rates (i do use drags*)….i have had no impact on my performance since the bubble was implemented.

• It makes fists no fun.

• The bubble is not perfect. Maybe they should try reducing the size a bit? Or at least come out and say that any reduction in size of the bubble would cause problems with daggers/hatchets to return? I don’t know.

Anyway I still hate hatchets, lol, but depend on dagger’s speed for defending myself as an archer. But a good MAA can always still hit me around my shield/parry etc w/hatchet + sprint attack/drag even with the current bubble. So I don’t know what the “solution” is.

• Chasing people down with a hand axe is no fun when you’re bouncing off of their force field.

• I like the idea of it. The outcome we got I don’t like. Makes the game feel clunky, much more clunkier than it ever was. As bad was face hugging was, we learned over the months to deal with it and it really felt nice doing those large turns and blocking some of those attacks. The bubble however, I have played with for just about the same amount of time and I can’t say I’ve learned to like it. Face hugging was a single grievance. The bubble has caused so much more than just a single issue. It effects smaller weapons hitting/not hitting, it effects chasing, it effects manoeuvrability.

Jumping near any enemy is a death sentence because he can catch you on his bubble and stick you in mid air. There is absolutely no reason for the bubble to extend 360 degrees. It shouldn’t stop people from getting in close behind you. If you are letting someone come up behind you, then you deserve to have your skull stoved in. Instead we get a bubble which causes collision, even from being behind an enemy, causes extreme frustration when trying to chase/hit someone from behind with one hand weapons or anything smaller.

Anyway I still hate hatchets, lol, but depend on dagger’s speed for defending myself as an archer. But a good MAA can always still hit me around my shield/parry etc w/hatchet + sprint attack/drag even with the current bubble. So I don’t know what the “solution” is.

Hatchet still operates much like it did when there wasn’t a bubble. You just have to learn to ignore where it might be visually within the split second that it is swinging and know to turn a lot more into your parries. He slashes? Flick your parry much further to your side. He overheads? Flick your parry a lot higher than you might normally. Or better yet, crouch and learn back to catch the hatchet.
    When there wasn’t a bubble you would have to turn muuuuuuch further into slashes from kissing distance hatchets. At least that’s one part I don’t miss from pre-bubble era.

• We technically there was always a bubble that stuck out 360 degrees. Just the July patch made it a tad bigger.

• @lemonater47:

We technically there was always a bubble that stuck out 360 degrees. Just the July patch made it a tad bigger.

Only if by “bubble” you mean a skin tight suit and by “a tad” you mean hugely increased.

• I’d like to keep it, but decreased in size. Just today I tried fists again and I really couldn’t hit anyone running away from me, frankly it was hard hitting anything at all. Shortsword is more or less useless if you battle opponents in a slope, the same goes for some other shorter one handers, which is ridicolous.

• In reply to the first post.

I like the bubble now people cant use that hack that showed peoples box. Face hugging bug is gone. I don’t know of bugs that came with it as they are not listed. From what I can tell you don’t like it because

It increases your hit box.

As for bugs you say

Bounces people around. I’v rarely seen any bouncing around and if you way that account the face hug bug… well in my book there is no comparison. The face hug bug was terrible. You could reach through a shield, a parry…

p.s. I am sure their are plenty of combat related arguments but as far as bugs I’m not seeing much listed. I never see anyone say in game damn bubble bug! However at least 3 times a match youd see someone say when the f are they going to fix face hugging!

p.s.s. from what I have seen you cannot jump on someones head outright… so jumping is fine I think maybe you meant jumping on someone from above, which yes you can land on top of them but if your good you can time it so you land and over head on their back, but I bet it is pretty hard with 1h weapons.