Chivalry: Launcher Update

Features:**

• Links to the website, forums, and steam workshop.
    • Latest Chivalry news.
    • The new SDK frontend tool (accessible through the new launcher) automates cooking, compiling, and uploading map and mod packages to help streamline the process. The tool also has an import function to allow you to easily reupload items already uploaded to the Workshop. You no longer have to mess around with batch files or keep track of GUIDs, though you can continue to if you want.
    • Added workshop autodownloads (launches the WorkshopUserTool.exe to do this, updates show in the bottom-right corner)
    • Added auto scaling; tries to fit the launcher on the screen even if the resolution is lower than the normal resolution.
    • Added “safe mode” option. (This mode will run the game in minimal graphical settings.)
    • Will automatically start 64-bit Chivalry if you’re on a 64-bit OS; 64-bit checkbox is gone

• Okay, nice, but how do I know if I launch the 64-bit or 32-bit version?

Thanks //B4RK 7th January 2014

Edit: I mean it, this new launcher is quite swell.

• For dual monitors the launcher shows up on the wrong screen for some reason, and I can’t seem to drag it to the other screen. Not a “problem” just peculiar.

• Vanguard charges broken and Dark Forest NPCs spawning out of their caves and in rafters? Better update the launcher!

Srs though it does look pretty nice. The font looks really stretched outhowever for the news section. Also, as mentioned above, the option for 64-bit support has disappeared it seems.

• @B4RK:

Okay, nice, but how do I know if I launch the 64-bit or 32-bit version?

Thanks //B4RK 7th January 2014

Edit: I mean it, this new launcher is quite swell.

The Launcher will run based on your OS version. If you’re running a 64-bit version of Windows, the game will launch in 64-bit, the same is true for 32-bit.

• Lol under the Play Medieval Warfare button it says “Lauch Editor”. I’m wondering how no one noticed this.

• Any word as to why for some people nothing happens after opening chiv from the new launcher? My steam icon goes to a brief synchronization stage, while that happens game overlay pops up. After a couple seconds of that the steam icon goes back to normal and the gameoverlay.exe disappears…and no game starts up.

• Developer

@Emilio:

Any word as to why for some people nothing happens after opening chiv from the new launcher? My steam icon goes to a brief synchronization stage, while that happens game overlay pops up. After a couple seconds of that the steam icon goes back to normal and the gameoverlay.exe disappears…and no game starts up.

Was the game launching successfully before? (Edit: i.e., with the old launcher)

Just to be clear, is this the order of events?:

• The launcher opens
    • You click the big blue button
    • The launcher closes
    • You see GameOverlay.exe open in task manager
    • You see GameOverlay.exe terminate in task manager
    • Nothing else happens

?

• Before the new launcher went up, I had no problem (last night). Game opened up fine. Yep sorta my bad, open launcher through steam, (this is when gameoverlay.exe pops up) click the big blue button, launcher closes unnaturally fast, gameoverlay.exe closes almost immediately in task manager. Then nothing happens.

• After the update with the launcher I cannot launch CDW anymore. Is anyone else having the same problem? Perhaps a way to fix this? When I press “Play Deadliest Warrior” I get an error message.

• The launcher opens through steam. Gameoverlay.exe at this point opens up. Click the blue button. Launcher closes immediately, gameoverlay.exe closes at the same time. Nothing happens.

• The mod automation sounds MUCH better than what we have now. Does this mean we will no longer have to attach a map with custom gamemodes and mess with all the batch files and cooking? How does it work exactly?

• Developer

@Cenkus:

After the update with the launcher I cannot launch CDW anymore. Is anyone else having the same problem? Perhaps a way to fix this? When I press “Play Deadliest Warrior” I get an error message.

Pushed a small update for this. You may need to restart the Steam client to get it.

• Im having issues with this launcher as well, could play fine a couple days ago and wanted to grab a quick games today :(

This is what happens after clicking the play button (right when is loading the unreal logo) :

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4827494/D3/BooTytards/Pic%20sharing/ChivError.jpg

Any help?

• Developer

Pushed another update. See what happens. The launcher should be launching the game and terminating itself exactly the same way the old launcher was. (Again, may need to restart the Steam client to force it to get the update; it’s only about 1.5 MB)

• Any word on the mod automation you described in the notes Crustacean?

• Developer

We may document it better later (maybe with a video?), but the tool is pretty straight-forward.

You create a new item with “New Workshop Item”; if you have a Workshop entry already and want to upload overtop of, use “Existing Workshop Item” (you’ll be presented with a list of items you’ve uploaded previously).

Choose the maps by clicking “Add…” under “Maps to Cook”
    Choose the scripts by clicking “Add…” under “Scripts to Cook/Compile”
    (you obviously need at least one map OR script directory, otherwise it’s not much of a mod)

Set the item type to “Map(s)…” if it’s just a map, or “Mod…” if it’s a mod, or a map that requires a mod. Fill in the “Mod package name” if you picked that second option.

Fill in the Workshop title/description and select an image.

Hit “Start”.

Wait…

Go into the Steam Workshop, click “My Items”, marvel at the newly-uploaded entry.

(You can also do only individual steps by clicking on their buttons instead of on “Start”)