Dark Fantasy Mod Idea

• I’m sure some people have thought of this. I know a few people were getting ideas for magic and magery and whatnot when the game was first announced. Now, I have no clue how to use udk tools or anything, but I thought I could at least make a topic to throw out one of my ideas for those who might be thinking about it.

But before I begin, I’m not really thinking of an Elder Scrolls or Dragon’s Dogma or Dark Souls or any RPG games. There are too many of those.

I’m thinking of something more like what Chivalry already is, but with a different theme and gameplay mechanic. I’m thinking of something more like an action fps fantasy game, where unique equipment choices, smart spell usage, and tactical decisions beat the game rather than how many numbers you have. Skill based, not RPG based.

I guess that would sort of be like a medieval/fantasy COD game, if I were to take a wild shot to describe this idea. I say often that I am a big fan of the Hexen games, an old dark fantasy action game based off of Heretic which is based off of Doom, but those were years ago. DMMM Elements came out recently, and it’s a close shot at what I’m getting at, but that game wasn’t nearly as great as it could’ve been. Nowadays it seems like you can’t have ‘Fantasy’ without ‘RPG’ anymore.

Where are the fantasy action games? Wouldn’t it be fun to have a dark and intense fantasy adventure action game against monsters and demons that doesn’t involve crunching stats and doing optimizations all the time?

I think it would be really cool to see someone bring some life back into this worn-out genre, and with Chivalry already being a medieval game, it wouldn’t take too much tweaking. Just add some fantasy flare, throw in some magic and work it out right, and you’d have it made.

What do you guys think?

• So kind of like this but with polished mechanics in first person view?

• Sort of, yes.

• Didn’t the developers already say they weren’t going to do something like this? They didn’t want to turn this into a magical game with overpowered wizards, etc. It would be immensely fun, admittedly. Maybe there will be a fan made mod for this?

• @Jake:

Didn’t the developers already say they weren’t going to do something like this? They didn’t want to turn this into a magical game with overpowered wizards, etc. It would be immensely fun, admittedly. Maybe there will be a fan made mod for this?

:|

That’s why this is in the custom content section. Pay attention please.

• you would have to create an entire mod for this to be even remotely effective. That would include new game physics, animations, models, and menu system. Good luck. I for one am not a fan.

• I would love to have a Hexen-based mod for this. Having the Cleric as a class with his fire-shooting spells and soul-destroying wraithverge would be sick. Or the Crusader’s (hexen 2) ice staff to freeze people and shatter them.

Actually, come to think of it, we could recreate the Hexen 2 “seige” multiplayer mode in chivalry quite easily, considering it already has catapults and ballistae. Just need the more “fantastical” stuff, and the contesting the crown mechanic.

• Maybe you should check out Kindoms Collide. It was a beautiful mod but sadly didn’t take off

• id love this =)

Savage was an awesome game