[Suggestion] Auto-kick high ping players

• I’m sure there is already a thread about this somewhere but I couldn’t find it. This is a bit long winded so bear with me.

Any other Australian players will agree that there is a huge problem over here with high ping players joining Australian servers. I don’t know how much of a problem it is on US and other worldwide servers, but here in Australia we get people constantly joining our servers from overseas. There are two main problems with it that I see:

1. They lag. Anyone with ~200 or over lags very noticeably. They rubber-band and teleport all over the place and their weapons hit you from meters away.

2. They take up spots that Australians could be using. We only have a handful of servers over here in Aus, and there’s usually about 5 servers with people in them at a time. If you want to join a team objective server you need to wait for one of 2 or so servers to have a spot available, which sometimes means waiting 5 or 10 minutes for a spot. This is in contrast to the US and Europe where they have dozens of populated servers at a time. There are servers in Brazil, Latin America, Asia and Singapore too so there’s no real reason for them to join Australian servers at all.

Usually it’s controllable by votekicking high pingers as they join, but since the sales there have been ridiculous numbers of people from overseas joining our servers (this happens every time there’s a sale but it’s been especially bad over Christmas). Basically any server I join now in Australia will be around half Australians and half foreigners. Because the ratio of high pingers to Australians is so high they are hard to votekick off, because they all vote no.

The problem is mostly that they’re mostly new players who bought the game during the sale and either don’t pay attention to ping, don’t know what it is, or just simply don’t care and join whatever server they see.

Here’s an example of what I mean: http://i.imgur.com/ppBMzqm.jpg

This particular server actually was actually mostly high ping players about 5 minutes before this, but I left for a bit to find another TO server and rejoined after I couldn’t find one, and when I came back a few had left or been kicked.

The point of my post is this: we need a working auto-kick feature, so that server admins can set their servers to kick anyone with anything over ‘X’ ping, whatever they set it to. You could make it similar to TF2 where you can join a server with high ping but it will give you 10 warnings that you have high ping before it kicks you. I think most people don’t even notice their ping until they are votekicked for it.

Anyway that’s it. Sorry if it’s been said before but I feel it’s one of the biggest issues in the Australian Chivalry community at the moment.

• It’s pretty fucking bad. A working autokick would be a godsend.

• I’ve pushed for auto-kick 200+ ping players for a long time now. TBS refuses, saying they want to make sure every player has some servers to play on. If officials had it, then there’s no guarantee every custom wouldn’t have it either.

I disagree with them completely. 200+ ping players have no place in this game.

• @SOC:

I’ve pushed for auto-kick 200+ ping players for a long time now. TBS refuses, saying they want to make sure every player has some servers to play on. If officials had it, then there’s no guarantee every custom wouldn’t have it either.

Our highest local standard for ping is ~100-110, from Perth to Sydney/Melbourne. Personally I think anything above 140 is too much, as that’s when it starts hitting the sweet spot for teleports and desyncs. A 200+ ping autokick is pretty lenient in my opinion, so I think TB should listen to the voice of reason and at least attempt to implement it.

• @SOC:

I’ve pushed for auto-kick 200+ ping players for a long time now. TBS refuses, saying they want to make sure every player has some servers to play on. If officials had it, then there’s no guarantee every custom wouldn’t have it either.

Yeah I’ve heard this argument before and I can’t say I completely disagree with their reasoning. It would suck to not be able to find any servers that won’t automatically kick you.

I think the solution would be to allow third-party server operators (like games.on.net here in Australia) to implement an auto-kick feature, but Torn Banner can just turn it off for all of their official servers. That way players from South Africa and other remote places would still be able to play while allowing us who live close to third party servers to play comfortably. Either that or go with the more expensive option of opening more servers in remote places like South Africa and India (forgive me if I’m wrong but I’m not aware of any Indian servers going). I’m not pushing for more servers though because I’m pretty uninformed about the cost or feasibility of it, this post is only about getting an auto-kick feature.

• Yep, I’d love to see a working auto kick feature. Ping and idle time in votekick info would also be ideal.
    The Jaz moves like greased doodies and can generally carry any team.

• I believe there is already a like 500 ping+ auto kick. But yeah it has been suggested. 300+ ping would be my vote. But if there is no ping auto kick at all…… I also think a auto kick for idle and 20%+ team damage after 5 minutes of play would be good. Or auto spectate when afk for XX minutes. Already been suggested but yeah +1

• It really needs to be 200 ping.
    Anything over 180ms starts to wreck the game and the more people you have over 180ms the worse everything gets. A 200ms cap would allow for spikes but keep everything civil.

• @giantyak:

It really needs to be 200 ping.
    Anything over 180ms starts to wreck the game and the more people you have over 180ms the worse everything gets. A 200ms cap would allow for spikes but keep everything civil.

TF2 has a system where it warns you a few times that you’re about to be kicked for high ping. I think it works well because it lets you know about your ping, and at the same time it doesn’t just straight up kick you if you spike.

• @BandOfTheHawk:

I believe there is already a like 500 ping+ auto kick. But yeah it has been suggested. 300+ ping would be my vote.

There is no 500+ ping auto kick. I’ve seen people in the 500’s and above dozens of times on official servers and never get kicked.

300+ would be worthless, as the distance in the remote areas isn’t long enough to be as high as 300, so we’d still get people flocking overseas and from Africa with 200-299 ping and not get kicked.

200+ ping kick would be my vote.

• Global Moderator

They gotta make one. Even if they don’t put it on their own servers. Its their funeral.

But it we would put it on then GON Australian servers straight away. That’ll be 14 servers with a ping kick. Not to mention the clan servers.

• @the_jaz:

I think the solution would be to allow third-party server operators (like games.on.net here in Australia) to implement an auto-kick feature

We have always run the ping limit at 200 (even for our clan servers), it’s just part of the default .ini we use
    All we need is for TB to fix the simple issue of it doesn’t work and it should kick in immediately

• Ha ha.

GLHF.

• Yeah… i suspect there wont be any players to get kicked for high ping by the time this is fixed

• @BlaZe:

We have always run the ping limit at 200 (even for our clan servers), it’s just part of the default .ini we use
    All we need is for TB to fix the simple issue of it doesn’t work and it should kick in immediately

Either that or we need more admins on GON servers. Really the only admin we have that regularly plays is Lemonater but I think he’s more into DW now.

• Global Moderator

@the_jaz:

Either that or we need more admins on GON servers. Really the only admin we have that regularly plays is Lemonater but I think he’s more into DW now.

We have DW servers too.

And the problem I have is that I played too much DW and I come back to MW and suck really bad. I keep doing things way too early I’m getting feinted by rank 5s who accidentally pushed Q instead of W. Kinda makes me ragequit.

• 180+ping should be kicked imo.

At 120+ its starts getting risky to attack players with the intention to flinch them. The higher the enemies ping the lower your time to flinch. It gets to the point where you do a well practiced move, a lunging stab that you know will flinch your target if they attack whilst you move in… but nope they had a high ping and no flinch and you die. So annoying.

• @Toll:

180+ping should be kicked imo.

At 120+ its starts getting risky to attack players with the intention to flinch them. The higher the enemies ping the lower your time to flinch. It gets to the point where you do a well practiced move, a lunging stab that you know will flinch your target if they attack whilst you move in… but nope they had a high ping and no flinch and you die. So annoying.

Mauls man, every damn time.

• I was going to create a similar thread +1 it gets incredibly frustrating to play against such vast numbers of warping players. I sometimes explain to the new players what ping does and that seems to help but some simply don’t get it. The warning then auto-kick feature would be a godsend.

• Unfortunately the breaking aspect of flinches not working and other stuff isn’t readily apparent to new players and is hard to explain. Just fall back on the incorrect explanation ‘their high ping makes you lag’ it gets peoples attention, is totally wrong but gets high ping players kicked…