New Loading Screen Drawbacks

• I love the new loading screen, great animation, color, design… But,

…with new players joining every day, I think they’re going to miss out on the tips and tricks that used to load during map changes, etc. Those were fairly useful, if not for making someone a better player, but at least for informing folks of the basics, some people will inevitably skip the tutorial (and the tips and tricks covered more than the tutorial did anyway)

Do you think there’d be a way to include the tips and tricks again (and accompanying art) in another way into the game for newbies to enjoy as did I long ago?

• I think that information should appear in the slider on the main menu.

• What they should do, and should have done from the start, is make a decent fucking tutorial, that works, and which showcases more than just the bare minimum of gameplay.

• Ingame tips on loading screens for singleplayer games was one of the dumbest (immersion-destructive) ideas ever imo.
    Yea maybe somewhere in the mainmenu would be nice.

Also I’d like to have levelshots of the loading map instead of just always battlegrounds.

• @H:

What they should do, and should have done from the start, is make a decent fucking tutorial, that works, and which showcases more than just the bare minimum of gameplay.

I think I was one of the lucky few that actually got all the way through the tutorial first day, first try. But I have had friends and others report that it bugs out quite a bit, especially if you stray from the intended course even a little. While I totally agree with you HEXEN that it should have worked for everyone from day one, drudging up things about the past don’t really help move us forward. If they have time to perfect and enhance the tutorial I totally agree that they should :)

• @INerevar:

Ingame tips on loading screens for singleplayer games was one of the dumbest (immersion-destructive) ideas ever imo.

Not really sure how this applies to a strictly MP game, but I share your sentiment when it comes to SP.

@INerevar:

Yea maybe somewhere in the mainmenu would be nice.

This could work, and maybe stick them under the tutorial menu, or a training menu.

• @SOC:

I think that information should appear in the slider on the main menu.

This could work as well, but how could they integrate those hilariously gruesome artworks that went with the tips that originally pumped me up for a gaming session of dismemberment and skull splitting….

• @H:

What they should do, and should have done from the start, is make a decent fucking tutorial, that works, and which showcases more than just the bare minimum of gameplay.

Well, I’m not familiar with any technical issues of the tutorial we have right now, but I don’t think that the tutorial needs to demonstrate more than what it does right now.

I think of it this way: The tutorial shows us the exact basics of the game, and lets us use those same basics to develop them into our own, more advanced moves (like ducking, inverse overheads, drags, jump stabs). Learning about these ridiculous moves were, and still is, a big part of this game for me, haha.

• I’d have to say leave the tutorial as it is, but just fix the bugs. I think the bare minimum it teaches is a decent start. If it taught you how to drag, jump stab, stab drag, feint to parry, reverse OH, etc. the game would just lost its learning curve. My favorite moments in the game were when I learned how to do an advanced trick or move.

When I first learned to drag, I jizzed myself I was so excited. It got me motivated to learn more and play more. Same with all the other moves. If everyone was shown how to do that from the get-go, the skill ceiling would still be high, but the learning curve wouldn’t be nearly as steep.

• @H:

The C:MW tutorial is one of the best game tutorials I have ever experienced. The only thing that might have made it better is if they including a training room like in C:DW for offline practice.

• The tutorial was pretty good and slightly entertaining.

Its more fun to learn things in game than in the tutorial. Like flippy said if the tutorial taught you how to do everything there wouldn’t be those moments. Or it would just confuse people completely.

It teaches you the basics. And that’s all it needs to do.

• The tutorial sucks and always has. It’s why peopled considered drags and CFTP exploits, not to mention reverse overheads and all that good stuff. It doesn’t showcase any of this. There was also a time where the tutorial DID NOT work properly, so new players were completely blind.

Yeah, discovering all these things on my own was awesome. Watching others whine about that stuff until the game was changed was not.

• @H:

The tutorial sucks and always has. It’s why peopled considered drags and CFTP exploits, not to mention reverse overheads and all that good stuff. It doesn’t showcase any of this. There was also a time where the tutorial DID NOT work properly, so new players were completely blind.

Yeah, discovering all these things on my own was awesome. Watching others whine about that stuff until the game was changed was not.

Teach the masses. Don’t bitch at them for bitching. You are no better. We learned. They can too.

• @lemonater47:

Teach the masses.

You are no better.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3nc4lZdN7LNkQl2aep9rxA

Yup.

• The tutorial was amazing when I started about a year ago, it covered more or less everything in the game, except for drags. Now. . . it sucks and you can use alt attacks even when you’re not supposed to be able to move. I think it needs an update.

• @lemonater47:

Teach the masses. Don’t bitch at them for bitching. You are no better. We learned. They can too.

Dude, do you even read what you type? I really don’t want to get into this with you, but you’ve got to be one of the biggest hidden trolls this forum has ever had. Either that, or you’re extremely vacant.

I HAVE taught the masses, or at least tried. They DIDN’T learn, and the game was changed because of it. Do you have any idea how many hours I’ve dumped into trying to make the casual better?

You’re right about one thing though: I actually learned how to play. I didn’t go bitching on the forums so I wouldn’t have to. Although, that’s the model TB seemed to follow. The game was changed once based off bitch… I think people today are just trying to replicate that same strategy because it clearly worked.

Also, my thanks, sir flippy!

• Try again.

Thats what I do. Someone complains about something I tell them how to do it. After I tell them to push F10 of course.

You do realise that there will always be new players. The players you that hit have learned. But its a never ending stream. And abusing hem just makes it worse and they complain even more.

Youtube isn’t the way because things get outdated. You can often explain things like drags in one line of text in he in game chat while you are dead. I made tutorial videos for things then It gets updated and my video gets outdated. Same things happened with chiv In July. Nothing you can do will change that.

Sticking more things in the tutorial won’t make the game better. Though expanding the archer tutorial to say “don’t shoot into melee fights” would be good.

• So don’t make videos to teach people. Don’t teach people in the tutorial. Don’t teach them in game by using the skills you’ve learned. Maybe we should just not play the game because new players are playing. le sigh

HEXEN - Don’t feed the troll.

• I’ve had newer players WANT to duel me, knowing they were going to lose horribly, simply because they liked fighting me. They said they learned a lot just from dying, and asked my for tips. A bunch of people have friended me just so I could teach them a bit on the side. These kinds of players are the ones we need if this game has any hope of ever re-gaining it’s comp scene, and also players like Hexen and I, and (I hate to say it), even Lemonator, who at least explain shit

• @Oy:

I’ve had newer players WANT to duel me, knowing they were going to lose horribly, simply because they liked fighting me. They said they learned a lot just from dying, and asked my for tips. A bunch of people have friended me just so I could teach them a bit on the side.

That’s a good one. I was getting votekick attempts or being called a ‘noob’ and/or a haxxor by newer players lately. I guess they didn’t like fighting me. The calmer ones just wanted to know what class I was using, I was asked about it twice in the last few days.