Chivalry die hards… Review & Development possibilities

• Hi all,

I’ve recently returned to Chivalry after a long break (10 months), and have decided to post some thoughts… I was previously rank 47, but had to create a new account as I have lost access to my original steam.

Firstly I wanted to comment on the amount of people who cry about this game… to them I will say; there is no better game out there with as nearly as much functionality, realism, chaos and individual skill as Chivalry. Torn Banner have done a masterful job with Chivalry, and have taken a lot of care as to what changes they make, exploring all possibilities and effects it will have across all stakeholders involved. I don’t think what many players realise, is how increasinly difficult this game can get when in the battle ground of more experienced players (who know how to parry & counter in all directions, use all weapons with maximum effectiveness, drag weapons around to hit around players guards, effective use of feint/parry ect) and instead turn to crying on forums, or even kicking better players from servers (this happens to me constantly).

What I’m glad to see after my break, is that Chivalry still has its unique atmosphere which I discovered when I first played the game. It completely blew my imagination.

For all new players (rank 1-30): even at rank 40 there are many functions and mechanics in the game to be discovered which can greatly increase skill. So if you’re up against something you don’t understand, don’t persecute it - ask a the player, or imitate their style (the same with any Martial Arts !). For example, simply learning how to parry effectively and counter will allow you to beat atleast 70% of players in any server (minus clan/pro servers). Being able to drag your attacks around your opponents guard is effective also (eliminating the need to feint an attack).

After two days of playing, I have been bombarded with hate messages in game for using feint. I will say it again, feint is a mechanic of the game and should be used sparingly, to fool an opponent who is very adept at parrying normal blows… use it whenever you like! I can assure you, real life sword fighting involves LOTS of feinting (and any Martial Art for that matter). It should be a matter of being able to predict the feint, always expecting it - therefore gaining an understanding of being able to parry at the very last necessary moment, not lifting your blade up to block as soon as your opponent has flinched.

This one goes out to the devs… THANK YOU for not taking out the ability to combo-feint. This makes otherwise ineffective weapons, more effective (Bearded axe being my personal favorite). Weapons that have a fast windup, but slow combo time are more effective with combo feint. I don’t know whether this is one of those beautiful little mechanics which manifested out of the chaos of the game, or whether it was meant to be - but its great.

I was sad to see the MAA super leap be taken out… but I can understand why. Being able to leap 10-15 metres almost instantly was hilarious, but severely broken.

Lastly; there are two things I have always wanted to see in Chivalry. 1) Horses for players who are dominating (or the option to ride one) 2) knockdowns !!! it just makes me laugh that a peasant archer with a butter knife in his fist can parry a full swing of a maul. I know it damages their stam, but I think after 1 or 2 swings/parries it should literally knock them to the floor, for a 1 second stun or something.

Anyway - keep up the good work Torn Banner, you’re heading towards a magnificent game and a work of art.

Adios

• @|eX|:

Lastly; there are two things I have always wanted to see in Chivalry. 1) Horses for players who are dominating

You lost all credibility with that…

Or maybe this is Steve Piggot and they are working on horses…?

• Tbh I’d find it easier to parry a maul with my hands than with a longsword. Blocking it on the other hand would break my wrists with whatever I tried to use, except a shield perhaps.

• there is no better game out there with as nearly as much functionality, realism, chaos and individual skill as Chivalry.
    Did you just say realism? Did you really? I think that’s maybe why some people fail to understand why certain mechanics may feel broken.
    1. Parrying a maul with a dagger can happen in IRL, however it would actually be about twice as easy to dodge out of the way. Parrying in real life is a re-direction of the opponent’s force NOT a static block. I always just assume the “Block” you do in chivalry is in place of what really would happen and then it makes logical sense.

2. Drags - Yeah in real life you don’t ever want to make your swing slower…that would make you lose force and allow the opponent to easily attack during. (Plus I’m not even sure some of the body positions you put yourself in to drag in chivalry are possible). There’s more reasons but just think logically do you ever slow your swing down in real life on purpose unless you’re trying to not hurt someone? I will say this though, there is a certain speed at which you need to attack. You don’t want to swing so hard that if you miss you’ll be completely overextended, and it doesn’t take much force to kill someone assuming you poke them just right.

3. Feints - A real life sword FIGHT doesn’t consist of that many feints. It’s a fight not sword play. John Clements the leader of ARMA (Association of Renaissance Martial Arts = ARMA) himself said “Go straight in like it’s a barfight”. Hesitation is punished IRL quickly, so feints are rare and tactical.

Lastly: Chivalry is a great game and lots of fun, but PLEASE don’t ever confuse the mechanics of a game like Chivalry with real sword fighting.

• Well without drags it “looks” realistic. The movements of people and everything. Far less clunky than WOTR and mount&blade which are closer to simulators. In a way. Only with the way armour works. Especially with some mods for mount and blade warband. But those games don’t look very real do they.

And feints don’t happen much in this game. And real life feints usually change the direction of the attack. To make your opponent do something and you do something else. In this game its just for making them mis-time a parry.

This game certainly has a higher skill ceiling than the other games. Mount and blade is a game you can do well in without knowing what you are doing. In WOTR you have to have good gear for starters. Otherwise even well timed attacks won’t be that effective. And you never seem to die much in that game unless someone finishes you off with an animation. That can be interrupted several times. Even after you get stabbed ontje face several times and almost decapitated.

• @Helrin2:

2. Drags

Accelerated drags are realistic IRL, especially when slashing. OH accelerations are partially doable to some extent as well.

Decelerated drags doing full damage make no sense on the other hand and look simply bad. It’s an important part of the game though, which underlines the fact that chiv is arcadish as fuck.

• @Silu:

Accelerated drags are realistic IRL, especially when slashing. OH accelerations are partially doable to some extent as well.

Decelerated drags doing full damage make no sense on the other hand and look simply bad. It’s an important part of the game though, which underlines the fact that chiv is arcadish as fuck.

Meh, DW makes the releases quicker and adds in hotspots to the tracers where it does the most damage. These things combined solve people overly accelerating and overly decelerating without breaking drags. Implement this into MW and now we have a better system for determining damage and a higher skill-ceiling in knowing how to attack most efficiently. Swords do most damage at the arc of their swing, hammers and axes do the most at the end of their swing, stabs are better after they’ve built up a bit of momentum rather than hitting instantly, etc.

• Some could argue it lowers the skill ceiling. Though I agree that its a good idea.

• Have you read Musashi’s book of five rings?

… and yes ‘realism’ as opposed to any other similar title out there at the moment.

• So you lost access to your forum account… and your steam account…

“but I swear I’m level 47 and this is the best game ever”

:friendly_wink: Sure.

• @hiNilum:

So you lost access to your forum account… and your steam account…

“but I swear I’m level 47 and this is the best game ever”

:friendly_wink: Sure.

Ha ha good point, add he was level 47 10 months ago… I bet this is our lead posters fanboy account. 4 posts level 47… hehe so caught

• I’m rank 47 in MW and I still prefer DW currently.

• Haha, the email I used for my original steam was hacked, I moved cities and was unable to verify my account.

I just purchased Chivalry and DLC again… annoying, since steam finally got back to me about my issue.

• Aussie/NZ players will know me. DW is great fun… lacks a lot of the more technical side of fighting that MW offers though.

• @|eX|:

Aussie/NZ players will know me. DW is great fun… lacks a lot of the more technical side of fighting that MW offers though.

Well I don’t know you but I know your clan.

• I haven’t seen anyone bend the bearded axe to their will quite like Abbadon, take my word on him being a veteran.

• eX members are always changing their names. And they seems to keep swapping to Z and vice versa.

• @lemonater47:

eX members are always changing their names. And they seems to keep swapping to Z and vice versa.

Slightly off topic lemon haha.
    eX was created from Z, now eX has disbanded I wouldn’t be surprised if some migrated back or to other clans. Pretty sure Knight and Vengeance did a stint in res recently.

• @LTTLWLF:

Slightly off topic lemon haha.
    eX was created from Z, now eX has disbanded I wouldn’t be surprised if some migrated back or to other clans. Pretty sure Knight and Vengeance did a stint in res recently.

I had always thought it had disbanded. But why would abandon make a forum account with EX in his name? eX came around where Z got sponsored and changed their name to whatever it was as I remember. And last time I saw Vengeance he was clanless.

And this wasn’t off topic. People were unsure whether or not abandon was actually a good player and not some noob lying. Now they know.

• @lemonater47:

I had always thought it had disbanded. But why would abandon make a forum account with EX in his name? eX came around where Z got sponsored and changed their name to whatever it was as I remember. And last time I saw Vengeance he was clanless.

And this wasn’t off topic. People were unsure whether or not abandon was actually a good player and not some noob lying. Now they know.

I can validate Abaddon being around months and months and months ago. Only one person, yeah but its still validation. Can’t speak for his rank, but he’s been around since the beginning

If this counts as still being on topic, Vengeance disbanded eX without really consulting Myz, the co-owner. Myz happened to not be online for a couple of days so missed this whole event happening, in which time a new clan had been created by one of the eX members and Vengeance joined res. When Myz got back, he just said nah, not breaking eX up. Vengeance was an idiot. Myz made it clear that eX was not splitting up/getting back together (however you want to see it) so a lot of the eX members went back.

Well, this is surely so far off topic by now so lets just wait for this to be locked.