Steam browser protocol no longer working

• We used to use a Steam protocol link on our forums to directly connect to servers. For example: steam://run/219640/en/IP:PORT would open a public server. This no longer works and it just leaves you on the new launcher screen. Has anyone found a way around this? I’ve also tried steam://connect/IP:PORT and I’ve been trying to do the same with a passworded private server. I’d appreciate any ideas on this.

• And the new launcher screen is dumb - it has a picture with lots of things that you think would be clickable but are not.

• I’m still trying to get this setup on our forums, has anyone had any luck with this? I’ve found that steam://run/219640/en/IP:PORT works if it’s an open server, you just have to click the CMW button on the launcher then it continues to load. This only works if the game isn’t already running and with non-passworded servers.

So then I tried steam://connect/IP:PORT/password. It still doesn’t work with the server port (7777) and have to use the Steam port (27015) and it ignores the password. I also tried steam://connect/IP:PORT?password=password and this also ignores the password.

This is starting to irritate me more than any other issue I’ve ever had with a game server. This is simple, basic, steam protocol stuff and shouldn’t give this much trouble. If anyone has any ideas I’d appreciate it.

• Developer

The launcher passes all command line args through to the game. The only additional thing you need to skip the launcher is specifying -cdw or -cmw on the command line

e.g. ("%20" is read as a space)

steam://run/219640/en/127.0.0.01?password=something%20-cmw

Now if you’re trying to use the steam://connect command, that’s a little special. It’s not well-documented, but I assume it’s communicating to the game in a similar way to how the overlay/client does when you join a friend. However, in that case, the game specifies the command line arguments, so we add the -cmw or -cdw to the command line ourselves. I don’t know how steam://connect sets up the command line since it’s doing so without the game’s involvement. I’ll post if I figure that one out…

• @CrustaceanSoup:

The launcher passes all command line args through to the game. The only additional thing you need to skip the launcher is specifying -cdw or -cmw on the command line

e.g. ("%20" is read as a space)

steam://run/219640/en/127.0.0.01?password=something%20-cmw

Now if you’re trying to use the steam://connect command, that’s a little special. It’s not well-documented, but I assume it’s communicating to the game in a similar way to how the overlay/client does when you join a friend. However, in that case, the game specifies the command line arguments, so we add the -cmw or -cdw to the command line ourselves. I don’t know how steam://connect sets up the command line since it’s doing so without the game’s involvement. I’ll post if I figure that one out…

I finally got around to testing this and it still doesn’t work. Even with the -cmw it still loads the launcher screen and even though I’m specifying the password I still get an error message letting me know the server requires a password. I still haven’t found any way to join a server from outside the game itself. Did you get a chance to figure out how steam://connect works?

Update: Specifying the IP, port, or password seems to be causing the issue. If I change it to just steam://run/219640/en/-cmw the game launches and sits on the main menu just fine. It’s only when I add the server details that it fails to launch.