TBS Huge Request

• whatevs -.-

• facepalm

• The combat in DW is fine, you just suck ass. Get better.

• @Oy:

The combat in DW is fine, you just suck ass. Get better.

Lets refrain from insulting others. He is allowed the right to have an opinion regarding the combat or anything related to the game.

Also, Nocturnal, there is some historical accuracy and value in the game. If you want to play with a Katana, you can continue to play Deadliest Warrior. If you prefer not to play it then you’re out of luck.

• While we’re on the topic of wild requests, I have one.

Add in some nasty pierce damage to the shield bash, and you have yourselves a winner.

• That’s why there is Deadliest Warrior. Inb4 Closed.

• @LTTLWLF:

While we’re on the topic of wild requests, I have one.

Add in some nasty pierce damage to the shield bash, and you have yourselves a winner.

And make it so the shield bash is also a block.

Flippin 10 knights rushing with spiked tower shields bashing the crap out of all the archers would be amazing. It would be really funny if you killed someone with that spiked shield they would be skewered on the shield so you will be running around with a dead archer on your shield acting as a human shield that can further protect you from projectiles. And he will be flopping around on the end of it.

• @lemonater47:

And make it so the shield bash is also a block.

Flippin 10 knights rushing with spiked tower shields bashing the crap out of all the archers would be amazing.

Oh man, if shield bash actually retained it’s active blocking ability I would be sooo happy.

• @LTTLWLF:

Oh man, if shield bash actually retained it’s active blocking ability I would be sooo happy.

I’ll say. Shields need more advantages.

• Obvious troll is obvious. But as he already got fed:
    @NocturnalAristocrat:

With weird things just as customization

that was the way to go over most of the Ancient and Medieval era.
    @NocturnalAristocrat:

Katana that plays like the MW Sword of War.

because the latter is optimized for piercing and the former is optimzed for slashing.

But you should really add a spatula that plays like the MW Sabre.

• Well actually a katana is a two handed sword. Though its a good 30cm than what the SOW is around about. The SOW is a longsword, a made up name for a short longsword if that makes sense. Japan didn’t have access to high quality iron and most of them weren’t great at making good steel. So a katana is designed the way it is because of the resources. The katana was also a stabbing weapon. Often kept sharper than a European medieval sword. Different cultures with Japan having a far more warlike culture and society than medieval warfare. Japan was constantly at war with itself. When they united they were over in Korea or China. Europe on the other hand was much more peaceful in comparison. Until someone thought of the great idea of crusades. And there was still usually a war on.

Japanese blacksmiths can spend over a month making one katana. They were designed to cut and pierce. They were made with different kinds of steel to remove impurities to balance the sword out. Soft steel in the Centre and sometimes medium steel beyond that with hard steel on the edges. Makes them lighter and makes it balanced. It could then Take up to 3 weeks polishing the sword. Just so its shiny.

A longsword on the other hand was usually 100% hard steel. Though it was generally better quality steel to start off with. All two handed swords, Longswords, bastard swords and Greatswords were made to punch through heavy armour. They were thick and not as sharp. But could deal with plate armour better than a katana would. You would just ruin your katana trying to beat through steel plate armour. European swords were low maintenance heavy duty rugged swords while katana in comparison were delicate. If you touched your katana’s blade with your fingers and didn’t wipe it then oil it then it would rust. European steel was a bit more resistant to rust and it wasn’t usually excessively polished which makes it even more susceptible to rust. Almost all European swords are based off the Roman Spatha. A cavalry sword which later replaced the gladius as the main infantry sword to help deal with barbarians who also had longer swords. Two handed sword techniques often involve a lot of wrestling. Even with the Longswords abilities to punch through heavy armour it sometimes wasn’t enough. So you often had to engage in hand to hand combat to get your opponents in a position where either you or a freind could easily kill him wit a weak spot in the armour. Wrestling could often missing or even remove armour off someone. I don’t think Japanese warriors wrestled in battle though I don’t know. I would think of it as a dishonourable tactic.

• Yeah, very helpful lemon. Your contribution solves everything.

Now seriously.
    SO what you’re basicaly asking for is a sword of war, that you’d have to pay a hundred bucks because it does not look like a sow? Why exactly can’t you use the sow and imagine it is a katana? OHHH you’re one of those people.

Yeah now I actually understand lemon’s post, he’s basicaly trying to subtly show you katana plonkers that katana is NOT the bestest sword ever ever ever as one would say. Just suck it up and use what you have. It would be better to be asking for custom content support, unless that is already in, in that case you can as well toss that money on a modder to grant you the wish and get you a custom model for sow.

• BUT IN MY ANIMES THE KATANAS ARE THE BEST SWORDS

• @lemonater47:

Japan didn’t have access to high quality iron and most of them weren’t great at making good steel. So a katana is designed the way it is because of the resources.

LOL this is so wrong.
    The katana’s varying levels of strength are a result of the folding process and heat treatment that yields a very hard edge but softer back. This has nothing to do with the quality of iron. The idea that they had ‘bad iron’ is ridiculous.
    Other fun facts.
    During the many times of relative peace in Japan, katanas were made to be more decorative than useful. I can only assume this is why the fruity one thinks “most of them weren’t good at making good steel”.
    The katana was developed over hundreds of years, three times (koto, shinto and shin-shinto).
    Most katanas you see now are mass produced crap. (gunto)
    The katana is primarily a slashing weapon. It was originally developed for use against lightly armored opponents. Japanese smiths began adding thicker backs and bigger points in response to the Mongol’s superior leather armor. Against metal armor it is decidedly not a good stabbing weapon.
    While it is primarily a two-handed weapon - you would also learn one-handed techniques as well as two-sword techniques using the katana in one hand.
    I have a shin-shinto wakizashi with a shark-skin hilt. :)

• Yeah I watched a documentary on sword making, and the quality of metal they use is very good. They spend like 3 days or a week just getting the sword metal ready, and blessing it and making it magical and infusing it with power and blah, blah, blah. Then the actual method of making the sword improves the strength of the already pure and fine metal by many times.
    I think the purest metal used for sword-making was actually done by some Viking blacksmith. Look up Ulfberht blades, they may have regularly went to India and brought back metal, and somehow they were actually able to produce Crucible Steel, one of the purest forms of steel that wasn’t producible anywhere else until the industrial revolution.

• @Oy:

Ulfberht Vikings blah blah blah

I see someone else here watched that Vikings sword thing on Netflix.
    It was actually pretty good.

• Wasn’t what I read. The iron in Japan was poor quality despite what many people think. The time they spent making the sword and the techniques were what made it so good.

Of course the Japanese didn’t the think their iron was poor. But in comparison with European iron it was. And most of these documentaries you watched would have used Japanese instructions which wouldn’t have said “our iron is shit”. Most of them hadn’t seen better iron.

And yes they had a soft back and hard edges. I stated WHY they did that. You didn’t. Making softer steel does reduce impurities.

• Thanks for the reply that actually restated what you incorrectly said before again incorrectly.
    Sure, sure. Japanese katanas were so bad the Chinese DIDN’T buy 200,000 of them hoping to strain the resources of ancient Japan so that pirates and commoners wouldn’t have such easy access to them. (By the way, it didn’t work - the Japanese just got more well trained smiths and money).
    Laminated folding and heat treatment. Laminated folding and heat treatment. Laminated folding and heat treatment. I’m sorry to repeat myself but they say even stupid people will remember something you say to them 3 times.

I should also point out that comparing long swords and katanas is like comparing phillips with flat-head. Katanas weren’t developed for heavy armor. The Japanese invented much better weapons for that.

• You really didn’t read what I said.

Same as always.

• @BillDoor:

Thanks for the reply that actually restated what you incorrectly said before again incorrectly.
    Sure, sure. Japanese katanas were so bad the Chinese DIDN’T buy 200,000 of them hoping to strain the resources of ancient Japan so that pirates and commoners wouldn’t have such easy access to them. (By the way, it didn’t work - the Japanese just got more well trained smiths and money).
    Laminated folding and heat treatment. Laminated folding and heat treatment. Laminated folding and heat treatment. I’m sorry to repeat myself but they say even stupid people will remember something you say to them 3 times.

I should also point out that comparing long swords and katanas is like comparing phillips with flat-head. Katanas weren’t developed for heavy armor. The Japanese invented much better weapons for that.

Well, not all longswords were designed as can openers, either. Most, if not all, of the later ones were primarily dueling weapons for civilian use, akin to the rapier or smallsword.

I read somewhere (I think it was Cracked.com) that folding steel more than, like, eight times leaves you with a nice, buttery-soft blade, due to hammering out all the carbon. But yes, comparing the two is a pretty fruitless thing to do.