Active block for shield bashes?

• IMPORTANT. Some people think that some of you who will vote in the poll are completely stupid and might be Completely swayed by the opinion of someone else (I don’t think anyone is that dumb). Just in case any of you are stupid be sure to think over this carefully. Its just yes or no. Its an “anonymous” vote.

Shields need more advantages they sorta got nerfed more than buffed over the life of the game. While they do have advantages the disadvantages outweigh the advantages.

I was thinking that you could block attack while shield bashing. It still blocks projectiles currently but at the moment it turns into paper when you shield bash someone. It’ll add a bit of realism and make shields a tad better.

A few minor stat buffs wouldn’t go amiss either.

But who likes that idea?

• I approve. Currently shield bashing in someones windup will flinch them out, but you’ll end up worse off for stamina. Being able to bash someone during their release (without a flinch) would be pretty useful for setting up kills/putting them into shit positions, whilst you yourself are reasonably protected provided they don’t drag around the shield. Seems reasonable to me.

• I’d also approve shield bash while walking/running.

• Biased voting options: The reason for “no” is so bad it hurts!

But yeah - its a good idea and I like it. Also adds realism and consistency - you would expect your shield bash to block attacks.

• @Evil:

Biased voting options: The reason for “no” is so bad it hurts!

Shh. Its an advertising strategy. Just not very subtle. But it works with some people.

• I approve of this

• @LTTLWLF:

I approve. Currently shield bashing in someones windup will flinch them out, but you’ll end up worse off for stamina. Being able to bash someone during their release (without a flinch) would be pretty useful for setting up kills/putting them into shit positions, whilst you yourself are reasonably protected provided they don’t drag around the shield. Seems reasonable to me.

Good point,
    Though, i think it could be pretty hard to defend against a shield slam that can block and have no flinch (where the opponent is already in release). I think it’d be best that if the opponent is in release, hits the shield, and gets hit by shield bash that both parties are flinched to simulate a ‘clash’.
    Such a change would at least solve the problem that the javelin class has where you can shield slam your opponent in windup but flinch fails for some unknown reason and you get 1shot - dead.

• I think of it more of a substitute for there being no ripostes. It would first block them then flinch them giving the shield user the advantage. And it still costs quite a bit of stamina. But you can ruin your opponents rhythm if he has got himself into one.

• @lemonater47:

I think of it more of a substitute for there being no ripostes. It would first block them then flinch them giving the shield user the advantage. And it still costs quite a bit of stamina. But you can ruin your opponents rhythm if he has got himself into one.

So it would have to be timed perfectly like a real riposte to collide with the weapon and then the player? Yes please. That would add a little bit more depth to skilled shield use, and give me something new to learn haha.

• Yeah you have to time it. This way you make shields more useful without encouraging Turtling much more.

• I want to see a short range shield riposte. The most dangerous time for shields is when your enemy is right up in your face, it can sort of poke through a shield or get around easily, which is fine if you let them stay that close. Whilst you have a kick, it takes time to do and is very unreliable.
    Enter the shield riposte. When you block, if you shieldbash(or something) within 50-100ms of the block connecting you do a quick shield bash that is very short range pushing your enemy back a little leaving you both with equal initiation.

I would LOVE to see shields just passively block ALL damage. If you are not actively bracing your shield (holding it up) any hit it does block costs large amounts of stamina. This means that you really want to actively block, however the passive block would help a bit, until you stunned…

As for using the shield offensivly as above, it would be awesome. Shields are not just a blocking utensil, they can be great bludgeoning weapons.

• Yeah, i think all shields should have a shield punch like the buckler. Buckler shield punch is awesome, but that shouldn’t be unique to the buckler IMO.

I recon a passive block would be cool - and as a penalty you, the shield user, take stamina reduction = to panic parry.

• Passive block would be annoying as hell.

• I approve.

And also get rid of the stamina drain for holding it up for too long, it’s just a nuisance since you can reset it by just clicking.

• But dropping the shield gives archers the window they need to shoot you in my experience :O

Mr :lemo:, how do you mean passive block would be annoying?
    You’ve still got options:
    -move the shield away from your attackers
    -take the passive block
    -raise the shield
    -step back out of the way
    -attttaaackkk!!!
    edit:
    i forgot one:
    -if you’re an MaA use your get out of jail free card.

• I think a good addition would be to give the shield a second type of block, that works like a “parry” (you have to time it just like a parry, but allows a counter). This would make the fights much more interesting.

• I think shields need some help but this isn’t the answer. I think this will make them extremely annoying to fight against since EVERYONE will just spam shield bash ALL the time. Don’t just think about knights, but think about MaAs and archers too. I don’t think this would be healthy for the game and is certainly not the answer to shields.

• @SOC:

I think shields need some help but this isn’t the answer. I think this will make them extremely annoying to fight against since EVERYONE will just spam shield bash ALL the time. Don’t just think about knights, but think about MaAs and archers too. I don’t think this would be healthy for the game and is certainly not the answer to shields.

I was scared I would get flamed if I voiced why I voted no. +1. Shields themselves are fine, it’s just the stamina drain + the pathetically small stamina pool. If they blocked when shield bashing, like SOC said, we’d see nothing but shield bashing everywhere.

• But a good javelin player
    <––
    Can already do this - spam shield bash, and so can knights with the flail.
    The only thing that prevents the javelin player doing shield punch/bash more often is that flinch doesn’t always stop peoples windups, so you get one shot because of a bug.
    But as a knight with flail you can just soak up the bugs with your stamina and mash people into little bits. Its great fun and very effective.
    The look on peoples face (or what bits are left of it :D) is priceless when you 2 shot them.

I don’t think being afraid of shields is a good enough excuse to not go ahead with a buff like this.
    If TB could fix flinch so it worked then i’d be happy to recant my position here but really a solution, as has been mentioned, is going to be a more effective long term solution.

• Reminder that this bug is still around: http://forums.tornbanner.com/showthread.php/15154-Hitting-faster-with-shield

Fix this before touching shields.