Is anyone else having a fantastically wonderful time 90-95% of the time playing Chiv?

• I am :D I come to the forums (mainly to see if TB ever updates anything) and it’s hard not to get sucked in by the regular forum trolls out to “get the developer” because they’ve been “wronged”, yada yada. But I hardly ever see posts in the general forum about how great the game is, and how much fun and enjoyment people get out of it. Those posts exist, but I thought I’d just add my two pieces of sense. Like the commercial says, “I’m lovin’ it!”

Don’t lose faith, teach those n00bies, patience is a virtue, and when all else fails, get in there and play your heart out :) If you need to give the game a break, give the forums a break too. If anything, think about what you’re going to say before you say it and try and reduce your negativity by 10-25% before you post. At least that way your message won’t get immediately written off as sounding whiny and adolescent.

Not a single gaming session goes by where I don’t say to myself, ONLY IN CHIVALRY could I be having this much fun, this often.

Even when I go up against 20 spamguards all tk’ing themselves, I just kinda stand back and laugh at the ridiculous scene, and hope that they begin to learn. (Sometimes I’ll even suggest trying a new class.)

Even when I go up against a “pro-knight” doing 180 behind the back strike/parries, look-up 360 parries and ridiculously slow overhead drags, I just back off for a second, and laugh, it’s quite hilarious watching him perform these things in a row, w/out any enemies near him anymore and especially when it finishes w/him getting hit in the head with an arrow.

Even when I’m having a bad day, ie, everyone in the (TO, TD, LTS) server is 50+ and working together, EXCEPT (seemingly) the folks on my team, and we’re getting stomped. I just jump out of the server and go for a FFA, or a ridiculously adorable BIG HEAD game to cool off.

That said, I make this charge to players and devs: What a damn fine game, NOW MAKE IT BETTER.

• I used to enjoy the game a lot more, and then I started noticing the glaringly consistent bugs and balance issues. I still have fun lopping of heads, but I do so in a state of pure rage, generally because I’ve taken a few more hits than I should have from my team, flying vanguards and the unflinchable laggers. Nonetheless I persevere, forever waiting for a fix.

• I’ve been playing for almost exactly a year now, and I’m still addicted to Chivalry. I have not put as many hours into any other game, L4D’s got ~230, L4D2’s got ~330, Killing Floor’s got ~170 but Chivalry’s got ~400 (+ Chivalry Beta which has 56 hours, I guess that’s from alpha testing DW.) Ok, sure, that’s not as much as these people who have like ~1000 hours or more, no idea how they’ve managed that. I play almost every day.

Granted I am an angry gamer. When I have a bad day, I hate players who are better than me (unless they are on my team) and players who are worse than me (unless they are on enemy team.) I curse myself for constantly falling for these overheads-behind-the-back matrix moves and dragged swings. When you are having a bad game, bugs and glitches are much more noticable. You can blame everything that goes wrong on them, or on exploits your enemy is using. If you are having a good game, on the other hand, you just laugh it off.

So really, I need to make somebody elses day worse to have a good day myself. I’ve never been successfully votekicked from a server, but people do want to vote me out because apparently I cheat or something, I dunno. I even get kicked by server admins sometimes. I was on one of those Third Reich servers, I killed the enemy top player like every time we met eachother. I then see “Blah Blah has logged in as an administrator” and a few seconds later my game closes down and I’m back to the game menu. In that case, I just laughed it off because I was doing so well before I got kicked. It’s kind of an honour if people want to kick you because you’re doing good.

But yeah, as I said, I’m an angry gamer and Chivalry is the game that has had me rage the most in my life. I’ve destroyed two mice and one knuckle thanks to Chivalry <3 Game’s like heroin, I love it but it’s ruining my life and family (disclaimer: I don’t love heroin)

Although what I really really miss from this game… New Team Objective maps!

• I have loads of fun with SaFE, just treating the game like a casual slasher. The voice commands, atmosphere and concept are all still wildly brilliant, especially the voice commands, which was the tipping factor that caused me to start playing again.

But the game is LOADED with bugs, inconsistency, mechanical errors, poor design decisions and, overall, has a pretty daft and inexperienced developer behind it. It has regressed since its release and is a sad shade of what the game could have been.

• I have lots of fun, most of the bugs/issues I don’t mind - the duel menu popping up while typing is the only thing that makes me rage.

@SavageBeatings:

Although what I really really miss from this game… New Team Objective maps!

This x100. I want the TO map design competition so I can have some fun designing a map. So far the custom servers are not really taking off (only a couple out there) so their hope that the community will build TO maps appears to not have taken off.

• Please understand that most people who complain on here really enjoy the game and just want it to be better. They see the potential it has and get frustrated when the developers ignore/don’t know how to fix the problems.

• The game is fun when it isn’t ruined by 300ms laggers. Which is 90% of the time for me.

• Well it’s like this: If you have fun instead of being butthurt, you’re just silent here in the forums. Or you post a thread like this, but not many guys do that. That’s why the majority of threads here are ragethreads.

I’m not having that much fun in-game unfortunately. Butthurt admins ruined it for me. I’m banned from my favourite classic duel server because the admin was butthurt. He dishonored a corpse, I kicked him away to make him stop, then he attacked me. I defended myself, he didn’t stop so I killed him… Banned… for “ffaing” I guess…

Well luckily TO is my favourite mode… But it’s rarely played off of official servers. And most people dont do the objective and it makes me rage…

• The problem is that the game just used to be so much better. Everytime i play it these days i get reminded by how much it got worse it has gotten and it makes me sad and depressed and i have to turn the game off after 10 min.

I have 1200 hours in this game from release till ~August 2013

The game simply gets worse with every update there is no better way to explain it lol

• It’s hard to enjoy a game that used to be so much better, especially when you know it’s only going to continue to get worse.

• @SOC:

It’s hard to enjoy a game that used to be so much better, especially when you know it’s only going to continue to get worse.

Exactly, Torn Banner is Chivalry’s cancer - slowly killing the game.

• The problem is that people play 500+ hours, start to get a little tired of the game (as expected in any game), and start to make a big deal out of every minor bug or development mistake. You got what you paid for, stop being so annoying. I’m not saying that the game is perfect, of course it needs improvements, but it’s a pretty good game, and people should acknowledge that.

• I have a wonderful time playing Chiv+. 10x more fun for me, and I can play a lot better and learn new things. If everyone just switched to Chiv+ the game would be fine because then Nabster would continue to update it and make it perfect. But sadly people want to stay with their dumbed down version, where if you get surrounded by more than 1 person you’re stuck inside their invisible force field magic.

• @Flippy:

I have a wonderful time playing Chiv+. 10x more fun for me, and I can play a lot better and learn new things. If everyone just switched to Chiv+ the game would be fine because then Nabster would continue to update it and make it perfect. But sadly people want to stay with their dumbed down version, where if you get surrounded by more than 1 person you’re stuck inside their invisible force field magic.

You know… Not everyone thinks that chiv+ is better than the normal chivalry. I played it and I don’t like it to be honest. like the new gamemodes though… But not the old balance.

• It’s funner in that I no longer care what my score is or how many times I died. Why be mad at the bubble for being a bubble? It didn’t make itself, it’s just a bubble.
    So I will go jump on the rock in Battlegrounds and peck people with a shortbow spamming “Sorry” instead of actually trying to stay in practice for scrimming with the clanners who still think this game can be competitive (while arguing about which weapons to ban, apparently).

• I would say it’s more like 50%.

TBH the only times Chivalry is still fun is when you coincidentally run into an old friend in a random server or just try a random setup you’re not comfortable with because then at least you can blame all your deaths with just not being familiar with your weapon.

When you’ve spent over 400 hours with 1 weapon like me(almost 600 hours total, latest 400 are with Longsword) you start to notice how many times you die because you’re outsmarted and how many times it’s just buggy or random BS that killed you. The latter making up for around 80%.

I’d say combat mechanics are just… odd to say the least. Like HEXEN proved in his post: Huge clunky swords clipping through walls, getting close to an opponent only for him to be magically pushed away… And last but oh so not least: 2 identical attacks are used after each other; yet 1 flinches the opponent while the other doesn’t. How are you to become good at this game(and mainly crowded TO matches) if 50% of the time the mechanics just work differently? This game shouldn’t be about guesswork, it should be about strategy.

Don’t give me Chiv+ as a solution. I just want this to be fixed is all. For once, in maybe half a year, would it not be awesome when THE patch comes live? Fixing all the remaining bugs and an announcement from TB that they finally did it right and will no longer make changes to the gameplay in order to guarantee the bugless game it is at that point. A man can dream…

• BWAHAHAHAHA This thread is full of lulz. It is so hard to be positive when so much is full of fail.

• @MissingNo:

The problem is that people play 500+ hours, start to get a little tired of the game (as expected in any game), and start to make a big deal out of every minor bug or development mistake. You got what you paid for, stop being so annoying. I’m not saying that the game is perfect, of course it needs improvements, but it’s a pretty good game, and people should acknowledge that.

+1
    Nostalgia is a big deal isn’t it;
    Nay sayers will always be nay sayers though, i guess its just the way they were raised - to be cry babies anytime things aren’t cushy enough.

• @giantyak:

to be cry babies anytime things aren’t cushy enough.

Says the guy who hates feints and refuses to use them.

• @Peter:

You know… Not everyone thinks that chiv+ is better than the normal chivalry. I played it and I don’t like it to be honest. like the new gamemodes though… But not the old balance.

3hard5u
    /5chars