Age of Chivalry maps

• In my humble opinion the Age of Chivalry maps had alot more going than what we have now and actualy quite different from their predecessors.

The layout, style it all made sense and fit the gameplay well.

In general I can say Age of Chivalry maps had more paths, objectives and just seemed to be more pleasing to the eye.

I’m not saying that the current maps are bad but I am saying that they could’ve been done way better by merely just copying most of the map layout.

Come to think of it, there were way more TO maps than we currently have in CMW and Age of Chivalry was made in their spare time as a hobby :P

Here are some of my favourites that might inspire map makers:

Overlook: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-w5ykGN2ds

Sorrow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hoj4OeF5qis
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN4-ZxLJ9TU

Helms Deep: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ8vACmvv4w ( definetly a clan favourite)

Meleefields: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4EocAJwuXQ, Rather simplystic but realy liked it

Other maps that I like but I haven’t found any decent footage of: Monastary, Siege, Invasion

Maps that realy flopped: Galadan, Firecrag (see Citadel) don’t play those for the love of god.

Age of Chivalry map list:

1. Darkforest
    2. Stoneshill
    3. Helmsdeep (Best AoC map)
    4. Firecrag
    5. Galadan (It was a snow based map and they made it so that when you played on snow the movement would feel all wonky and slippy)
    6. Overlook ( Best CTF map. Had catapults that could launch players acros the map.)
    7. Sorrow (Best looking AoC map)
    8. Siege
    9. Invasion
    10. Tombs ( most fun I ever had in a crampy team deathmatch map. Elevators leading to a fake room surrounded by lava :) )
    11. Arena
    12. Meleefields
    13. Valley

• Come to think of it you actualy had a very detailed statistic page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Sophax/stats/AgeOfChivalry/?tab=glance

Would’ve been cool if there was such a thing in CMW.

• Damn, I miss all those maps! Definitely one thing I prefer in AoC.

• I have been saying this from the beginning and was very surprised that the devs didn’t just port the maps for UDK. The AOC maps are far superior in almost every case as far as objectives and play ability. To be honest I really liked the CR1 versions of the maps the best because the devs didn’t totally nerf them. There were lots of secondary objectives and alternative ways to do things. I really miss building epic barricades by using found objects. BTW you forgot to mention Monastery.

I had been looking into and been doing lots of research into converting AOC maps for UDK and it is possible. I was also looking into importing the AOC catapults. siege towers, and ballistas as well because their function, aiming, visibility and rate of fire are still superior to the chiv’s versions. So this was my first set of projects using the SDK but after the last patch I pretty much just gave up on map creation. I already have a few started but the way the game has progressed and how virtually no one plays the custom maps nor are there any on official servers, I have put them aside for now.

• @Retsnom:

I have been saying this from the beginning and was very surprised that the devs didn’t just port the maps for UDK. The AOC maps are far superior in almost every case as far as objectives and play ability. To be honest I really liked the CR1 versions of the maps the best because the devs didn’t totally nerf them. There were lots of secondary objectives and alternative ways to do things. I really miss building epic barricades by using found objects. BTW you forgot to mention Monastery.

I had been looking into and been doing lots of research into converting AOC maps for UDK and it is possible. I was also looking into importing the AOC catapults. siege towers, and ballistas as well because their function, aiming, visibility and rate of fire are still superior to the chiv’s versions. So this was my first set of projects using the SDK but after the last patch I pretty much just gave up on map creation. I already have a few started but the way the game has progressed and how virtually no one plays the custom maps nor are there any on official servers, I have put them aside for now.

Don’t give up man! I’ve been dying to find TO maps that can be played competetively.

But its true that nobody plays custom maps. I think it ties in with the slow download speed and the buggy nature of the maps that makes it feel less appealing.

My hope is that one day the current custom TO maps in the making will get balanced and polished so that TB will hopefully put them into the map rotation for every official server to make them more mainstream.

• I loved Helm’s, Siege, Monastery and Sorrow. Stoneshill and Darkforest are my favorite maps in both Chivalry and AoC, but… I feel like I liked the AoC versions of them better, at least for Darkforest. Subbing in for a few Darkforest scrims (never really bothered with an AoC clan of my own) were some of the best times I’ve had in a game. Funnily enough the one thing I don’t like about Stoneshill is the same in both games, the last objective is boring on defense.

• I really miss interactivity with the environment and the ability to use found objects for building barricades. Some of the most epic battles were fought around these barricades. I remember that I was the first to take the chandeliers from the dinning hall on Monastery and spend 90% of the map pushing them down the hall, through the hole at the end and placing them over the crypt. So when that last objective was achieved and the floor was smashed the giant chandeliers would fall down the stairs and block it providing a maze of a barricade to protect the crown. As usual with all my findings of the game it was nerfed.
    Chandeliers - nerfed
    Back way and barricades in Invasion - 1/2 the map nerfed
    Firepots on the flag and full 360 aiming of catipults on Stonehill - nerfed
    3 catapults and 360 aiming on Battlegrounds - nerfed
    Barrels and Boxes for barricades and the back tunnel on The Shore - nerfed
    Flag capture and back hallways on Overlook removed - nerf
    Alternate ways to objectives made obsolete by removal of team gate control of sewer door on Siege - nerfed
    Alternative ways to objectives on Helms Deep - Nerfed
    Alternative tunnels on Westerly - Nerfed

Hell I was the one that discovered most of the tricks to building stuff in game because I would sit on our clan server for hours just trying shit. Sad how much of that fun stuff was nerfed. Remember pushing the cart under the chopped tree making a trampoline? lulz…… RIP AOC.

You can still find 1.1 versions of the game downloadable with the original maps. I wish they would release the source code for AOC as I know of a person that would love to update it with the HL2 engine.

• I didn’t play AOC but I know I can design a map that will change the face of CMW.

hot peasant girls

• @gregcau:

I didn’t play AOC but I know I can design a map that will change the face of CMW.

hot peasant girls

So something similar to tavern with girls on the tables? :D

• We definitely need a SAVE the Brothel map where the evil Mason Order are busy raping a pillaging while the Agathas are the protectors. Kind of like a GTA for Chivalry……

• we definitely need some maps

• Shore was a damn good map

• I’ve always heard good things about the AoC maps. I would be down with a re-make.

• @Flippy:

I’ve always heard good things about the AoC maps. I would be down with a re-make.

This
    /10chars

• Wish I had time to do that kind of stuff again. :l

Would totally re-make aoc_sorrow.

• Cue map competition with massive prizes……

• @Reginhard:

Cue map competition with massive prizes……

Screw the peasant hats, I want one of these bad boys for my knight.
    http://imageshack.us/a/img442/9149/helmet06.jpg
    or
    http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/340/9/7/hound_head_helm_by_dashinvaine-d6wxyvv.jpg

…if I win, which I will.

• Overlook, Sorrow and the old Darkforest were my favorite ones, but most of all Overlook :)