Ping issue

• Lately I have having a terrible ping issue with chivalry that doesn’t happen with other games. My ping for any given server in the server browser is pretty low (30 or 60), but when I get into a game, my ping is around 200. Is it my computer, or the game? Any tips to help would be greatly appreciated.

• Which OS are you using? Chivalry has some problems with Windows XP for example.

• Usually when there is that dramatic of a ping differntial it us because your bandwidth is being eaten by streaming or down loading. If you are the only one on your network then there is an issue. But if you share your internet with roommates or family I would see who is doing what online while you play. This can also be an issue of you are connected wireless. Thus I would check your router and see if there are people logged into your router wirelessly without permission. If so, time to change your password.

If you are in an apartment building or dorm then you could be simply screwed as your bandwidth is being eaten by the number of people that are on that node. You can also do a trace route and then check the health of the internet to see if your zone is being effected. Then again there will be nothing you can do about it. But check the other reasons first.

If all else is fine do several online speed tests to see if you are getting the internet speeds you are paying for. If not contact your ISP about the issue. You can also do the basics, do a full power down and restart of your router by unplugging it for 30 secs and reboot the computer.

• Having run a few chivalry servers, I have seen this happen to people for the last year or so. Randomly myself or another player in my server will for no reason have around a 150 ping even though they normally have a 60ish ping. Other people in the server will still have their normal pings but a few will be high for no reason. Joining a server in another game or testing ping elsewhere shows verifies that it is a problem only in chivalry. Weird problem that I just kind of gave up on as I don’t worry about running a server anymore.

• Another thing that can increase pings on many people in a server along with a hugh lag spike is someone joing the server with a terribly high ping usually 600-900. What will usually happen is that there will be a hugh lag spike then a few moments later you will see a player with really high ping when you TAB. But they are still not really in game because they are lagging so badly.

Sometimes if there are too many people sharing a node or similar traceroute, everyone ping in that node will increase because it is either a weak node or there is just too much net traffic going through that node at that time. Sadly there is nothing you can do about it other than play in off peak times.

You can kick a high ping player though.

• @ranger350:

Lately I have having a terrible ping issue with chivalry that doesn’t happen with other games. My ping for any given server in the server browser is pretty low (30 or 60), but when I get into a game, my ping is around 200. Is it my computer, or the game? Any tips to help would be greatly appreciated.

Sometimes I believe pings are also displayed incorrectly on server browsers. I’m US East and sometimes US West servers will show 60-90 ping. At the later hours some times you just find more people over there so I try it out and will find I’ve got 140-200.

Please note that the ping results aren’t dynamic, and by hitting “refresh” and checking these servers I know I can’t connect to with the ping displayed I’ll often-times find more reliable results after it is done refreshing. It would appear to me that when pings are gathered for the server browser some are gathered at moments when ping is much lower than it will be most of the time you’re in the server.

Is it possible this is happening to you, or is it a more prevalent problem than that (like EVERY server you join)?

• Apparently the OP is having this issue only with Chivalry, which I can relate to. It’s really odd ; I get into a game that shows a decent latency, it goes along fine, then after a few minutes, bang, 200 ping time. I did a quick test the last time it happened and joined a Warband game to test its ping while Chiv was still running : warband was just fine, and kept being that way indefinitely.

It’s also quite weird when the browser shows games with 600+ ping and run just fine once joined. I’ve stopped trying to fix or even understand why it’s doing this long ago. It is a mystery :ghost:

• @Valinde:

Apparently the OP is having this issue only with Chivalry, which I can relate to. It’s really odd ; I get into a game that shows a decent latency, it goes along fine, then after a few minutes, bang, 200 ping time. I did a quick test the last time it happened and joined a Warband game to test its ping while Chiv was still running : warband was just fine, and kept being that way indefinitely.

It’s also quite weird when the browser shows games with 600+ ping and run just fine once joined. I’ve stopped trying to fix or even understand why it’s doing this long ago. It is a mystery :ghost:

Look, you cannot compare one games server to anothers because of several factors. One is the actual server location. If a Chiv server is hosted at a data center on one side of Chicago and then you try to compare that to another game server on another side of chicago, you will get different pings. You will also get different pings because the traceroute will not be the same.

I will be the first to admit that the netcode for this game is still crap even with the so called netcode improvements. Much of it has to do with how much info is actually being transmitted. Melee requires mucn more information than a gun game going to and from the server and back.

The only way to compare ping speeds between games and then claim it is a Chiv issue is to have two different types of games hosted on the exact same server. Since this isnt really a reality, anything else is placebo effects.

One thing I would note is that Chiv is really not that popular of a game and in the big scheme of things most are hosted on lowend servers or over worked servers. Very few people are paying top dollar for top hardward filled dedicated Chiv servers. Most of the Official servers are terribly unstable once it starts to get full or have a few high ping player playing.

• Sounds like a bandwidth issue. Are you upload or downloading any else at the time of playing chiv, or is anyone in your house doing so? How old is your modem?