Community Update

• I think Archers should be on this list as well. For how easy it is to actually hit people, arrows do far, far too much damage. There are several ways that have already been proposed to balance archers. Some combination of the following:

1. Remove the backstab damage bonus

2. Balance the shortsword

3. Make it harder to hit people (i.e. remove crosshairs or something)

4. All arrow hits do far less damage except headshots

5. Reduce Ammo capacity

We also need general weapon balance TB. The GS and Brandistock have remained incredibly OP. The messer is currently, by far, the best of the bastard swords. Broad/Norse need a stab animation fix, etc.

Dodge also needs adjusting. As it stands, it is far too powerful an ability. It grants both offensive and defensive capabilities, saves you from countless mistakes, and always grants you the initiative.

Thanks for letting us know where you stand though, its great to hear from you. And if you are serious about these changes, I’m sure a lot of the players who have stopped playing would probably consider coming back.

• Pretty much what Sophax said although I think dodge only needs a slightly larger stam drain. Not the cooldown as well.

Please for the love of god though just bring back CFtP and put it into the tutorial. You don’t even have to make a tutorial yourself. Hire Crushed or some other clanfag just for like a week or two and consult them about what needs to be put in the tutorial and maybe even record his character’s movements when performing certain maneuvers so this can be demonstrated to those doing the tutorial.

• @SHH_:

I think Archers should be on this list as well. For how easy it is to actually hit people, arrows do far, far too much damage. There are several ways that have already been proposed to balance archers. Some combination of the following:

1. Remove the backstab damage bonus

2. Balance the shortsword

3. Make it harder to hit people (i.e. remove crosshairs or something)

4. All arrow hits do far less damage except headshots

5. Reduce Ammo capacity

We also need general weapon balance TB. The GS and Brandistock have remained incredibly OP. The messer is currently, by far, the best of the bastard swords. Broad/Norse need a stab animation fix, etc.

Dodge also needs adjusting. As it stands, it is far too powerful an ability. It grants both offensive and defensive capabilities, saves you from countless mistakes, and always grants you the initiative.

Thanks for letting us know where you stand though, its great to hear from you. And if you are serious about these changes, I’m sure a lot of the players who have stopped playing would probably consider coming back.

Oooo I’m glad you brought this up! Please add some kind of stam drain for drawing arrows. It’s perfect. Realistic for the realism whiners, simple, and it’s the only nerf you need for archers. It prevents them from raining arrows constantly on the battlefield bigs style and if they are shooting often then it cripples their melee by leaving them with no stamina during a melee engagement.

• @Karasu:

Oooo I’m glad you brought this up! Please add some kind of stam drain for drawing arrows. It’s perfect. Realistic for the realism whiners, simple, and it’s the only nerf you need for archers. It prevents them from raining arrows constantly on the battlefield bigs style and if they are shooting often then it cripples their melee by leaving them with no stamina during a melee engagement.

I approve of this idea as well. A good solution, and realistic.

• @Karasu:

Fuck realism.
    Arrows should do less damage up close, get rid of shotgun-bows.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

Fuck realism.
    Arrows should do less damage up close, get rid of shotgun-bows.

It was a balance argument with a bonus that it’s realistic. Don’t forget the balance part of it.

• Thank you for addressing the community, that’s all we ask.

1. Rank/Unlock issues - The most important for average player retention. Needs to be fixed, not much more needs to be said here.
    2. Sprint attack bug - This one is pretty obvious, too.
    3. Server ping limits - Oh, god, please. This needs to be fixed/implemented badly.
    4. Idle time/Ping for votekicks - Sorely needed
    5. The bubble - The IDEA is good, but the execution was done poorly. Perhaps just make the bubble smaller? Face hugging is annoying to a degree. The most infuriating thing is trying to move between multiple opponents, and having your footwork negated because you were pinned in by their bubbles. And, I know the bubble isn’t supposed to count for damage. But something is wrong with it, you see swings that just don’t look right, it’s negatively affecting combat and really needs to be fixed/removed.
    6. Removal of parry in recovery/“Panic parry” - This HAS to go, why should someone be able to defend themself while in their recovery phase?
    7. Shield stamina usage - Shields are definitely weak, especially with the recent patch. And their hitbox isn’t very good, new players get incredibly frustrated when you get around them. You should be able to, but not to that extent. It’s a shield, it’s supposed to be hard to get around.
    8. Lack of new content - This is huge. I love TO, and I think the majority of players like TO the most, as well. We’ve had the same maps for basically a year. We really, really, really need new maps. Something refreshing.
    9. Custom content - This needs more exposure to average players. There also seems to be a bug that crashes your game with mods. For me, it’s the Mana Warfare mod, I crash every time I join, and I’ve been dying to try it. As well as the support, players don’t want to have to download it every time they join if they aren’t subscribed, or if the server is on a different version of the mod.

Some other notes/suggestions: I think customization could use some work. I miss the old dark navy blue for Agatha, I know it added confusion when covered in blood, BUT I MISS MY DARK BLUE/LIGHT BLUE CUSTOMIZATIONS. And I think there would be less confusion if you made the trim colors only ones that are related to the faction, to ease the decision making on players with less experience. Also, some colors aren’t the same, even when it’s the same choice, in different sections, it’d be nice if they were corrected to be the same color in all categories, outfit/shield/emblem. The spectator camera moves to a spawn when you die, it should stay where you were, so that you can get a sense of what happened to you. I think other things need to come back to the game as well, like no sprint lockout, and, a front chase mechanic.

As far as balance, there are some issues. The longsword really needs to go back to its old glory. Knight is just so underpowered now, compared to other classes. Swing animations are another big issue. They’re so choppy/laggy after the recent patch, makes it much harder to read a swing. Those need to be fixed.

I think we just need compromise. I think the feint window was a good idea, maybe make it a little bigger/smaller based on what everyone wants.

I’m by no means some great player, I have closer to 1,500 hours of play time, and consider myself an above average player. But, I want the game to be more competitive. I shouldn’t be on the same skill floor as a rank five, likewise, someone better than me should be able to take advantage of that. There should be some disparity between new and experienced players. It’s the sign of a deep game.

Overall, we just want the game to be fixed so that it can be what we all know it’s capable of being. Thanks for working with us, I’m excited to see where it goes.

Edit: TL;DR - That list sounds good, this is what we want, and, need.

Edit #2: Shields blocking from behind, incredibly annoying.

• Mod

Fixing all of the bugs is fantastic and a great step forward.

I also don’t think ctftp should be added back in it’s full form, as a happy medium, but also don’t remove panic parry just limit it more or some other kind of trade off. I also agree with Chimpanzer, the bubble was a good cocnept but just needs to be made smaller, if possible.

A note about the custom maps - Our server runs several custom TO and LTS maps, but very frequent crashes is leading us away from it, as players are crashing and not joining any custom servers back. Also, many people cannot connect without crashing at least 3 or so times.

And some new TB made TO maps would make my year.

Edit: Also, Templar Terse wanted me to post his response-

They SHOULD NOT remove panic parry if they are not going to put combo feint to parry back in. One or the other. It will totally break the game. Personally, I would prefer combo feint to parry. But, either one will work.

Also, I hate to be “that guy” but even vets must realize how important panic parry is to new, and casual players, no? Can you imagine what will happen to all those poor new people when us higer ranks get in there with no panic parry?

• I’m just going to say that most people who still enjoy Chivalry the way it is stay far away from these forums.
    Most people in my clan and on my friends list have little to no problem with the “bubble” or the “panic” parry, same with me, and avoid the forums like the plague.
    But, everything else on that list looks wonderful and will make a lot of people happy.
    Also, “Shield Buff” - OH MY FREAKING GOD ALL OF MY YES PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD!

1. Rank/Unlock issues – This should be top prioety to fix ASAP an update to fix this alone would be welcome. The bug doesn’t affect me at all however I see many, many people complain about it with in-game chat and I also don’t see many level 10’s since I assume they have quite.
    2. The large size of enemy-specific collision (“The bubble”) – Whilst I side on toughen up princess when it comes to face hugging, I can understand why you wanted a bubble. Make it smaller, and shaped if possible so that it only protects the front 180deg of an enemy. You know you have the bubble size correct when you can play Boxing without missing lots of hits from both players because the bubble simple got in the way of movement.
    3. Removal of Panic parry – Panic Parry is annoying. you fight someone and out-class them only to have the fight dragged on because they panic parry, you force them to do it a couple of times and they run out of stamina. Basically if the player has to panic parry, they are already out-matched and will die to stamina drains anyway. Ditch it, and bring back CftP. Reading Parry into Parry would also be an acceptable option. However, in doing this it reduces the standing of shields a little.
    4. Lack of new content (TO Maps in particular) – I’d rather New TO maps than removal of Panic parry and the bubble if I had to choose, this should give you an idea of how badly we want TO maps. Please don’t make them big, expansive maps like Citadel, it runs very poorly on many peoples PC’s, severs often lose 50% of players when citadel loads…
    5. Vanguard Sprint Attack Bug – It’s an obvious bug, no brainer to get rid of it asap.
    6. Showing Idle time and Ping for votekicks – I would love you forever and I think every other Aussie/NZ would too if this came back/got in. This is needed big time.
    7. Shields run out of stamina too quickly – Shields running out of stamina isn’t the problem. I use shields a lot, particularly with MAA. Even with dodging I don’t generally have stamina problems. As a Knight Shield user I do eventually run into a problem with stamina. The reason for this is the MAA has the ability to move around and not allow themselves to be caught into a position where they can be repeatidly bashed in the shield to lose stamina. Knights are slow and have a much harder time avoiding this situation. The shields need a riposte style system of pushing back the enemy a little with a successful block. So you block, hit kick in the riposte time window and it does a quick shield bash, none->little damage with enough knock back to set a neutral initiative for both parties. This would allow the shield user an options to manage their attacker better and with quick thinking and a bit of luck get a flinch attack in and fight their way out of a losing stamina-draining position.
    8. Nonfunctional server ping limits – Not sure what this is.
    9. Custom content is not sufficiently supported – The best of the best custom content should be heavily advertised by TB and non game mode-changing stuff should be moved into official servers if good enough.

• I agree with most people here, the rank and unlock bug should be the main thing you guys should be working on.
    • I also think that if you do remove panic parry (i hope you do) that it needs to be replaced with cftp or something of the like otherwise the combat will suffer greatly.
    • The bubble doesn’t need to be done away with but it does need to be made smaller and only effect the fronts of the player models, no need to get bounced off someone because you’re hitting them in the back.
    • New content is always welcome. I would suggest new TO maps should be more interactive objectives, less stand next Trebuchet and more hit it to pieces.

• Global Moderator

@Toll:

Removal of Panic parry – Panic Parry is annoying. you fight someone and out-class them only to have the fight dragged on because they panic parry, you force them to do it a couple of times and they run out of stamina. Basically if the player has to panic parry, they are already out-matched and will die to stamina drains anyway. Ditch it, and bring back CftP. Reading Parry into Parry would also be an acceptable option. However, in doing this it reduces the standing of shields a little.

Well similar thing happens with CFtP except its even more beneficial to the guy who does it.

And a ping limiter is something that doesn’t allow people with a certain ping in. So if the limit is 200 then those over 200 wouldn’t get in the server.

The bubble should be on their list. As 99.9% of people want it gone or shrunken. With CFtP there’s a 40-60 split. And that’s only on the forums it has competitive bias.

• O lol yeah, my blunder, server ping limit makes sense I totally read it as something else :/

I’m happy with their PiP idea over CftP or Panic Parry.

Also CftP was used as an aggressive tactic and it’s use did not mean you where out matched at all. It allowed for excessively aggressive fighting both for 1v1 and 1vMany. Panic Parry though does not. That is the difference, one was used by the competent aggressor, the other is used by incompetent defenders.

• Great, glad to see anything from TBS.

The list looks good. However, you shouldn’t just remove panic parry. Please please please put back in CFTP. On that note, instead of making it so we can’t feint the last 200ms of windup, why don’t you make it so we can’t attack again if we feint in the last 200ms of windup? That way we can still feint to parry late in the swing, without buffing feints.

@Tibberius:

Let me know what you think of the idea of a “successful parry into a parry” as explained in this thread: http://forums.tornbanner.com/showthread.php/18280-Successful-Parry-into-Parry?p=198874#post198874 It might help make 1 vs. many combat a bit more manageable in a cleaner way.

This is an interesting idea, but it won’t replace panic parry/cftp. It could work well in addition to those. For people who are complaining about noobs spamming parry, imagine this scenario. You attack a noob and he blocks it. If he had his shit together he’d attack you, but he wastes his advantage by spamming parry. PiP would actually help vets and people who are precise about their actions.

I think a good general test of features is ‘Is this feature going to give an advantage to someone who wildly mashes buttons?’ and the answer for PiP seems to be ‘no, it’s the opposite,’ from what I can reason.

• This is great news; however this does not address the greatest problems in PvP in this game, this includes: ‘Rainbow’ spin slashing/striking (chopping people behind with 360 degree looking up/down), the abuse of the server lag/ lackluster netcode with stabbing, often causing stabs to do damage before even reaching opponents or a secondary attack with NO animation, as well as dragging (not the tactical kind, the absolutely random spazzing kind that damages opponents without any weapon contact), and last but not least combo feinting - attacking in combos causes the feinted follow up to be actually faster than regular combos especially with a stab (also can break animations).

Still loving this game, but balancing is much needed.

Cheers, and welcome back!

• Please remove sprint lockout, it really hurts footwork. PiP sounds really good tbh, cftp should still make a return though.

• @Ranulf:

Please remove sprint lockout, it really hurts footwork. PiP sounds really good tbh, cftp should still make a return though.

YES. How did I forget sprint lockout. Pretty pleaaaase we don’t want sprint lockout.

• @Flippy:

YES. How did I forget sprint lockout. Pretty pleaaaase we don’t want sprint lockout.

I complain about sprint lockout daily. Would love to see it gone.

• @Karasu:

I complain about sprint lockout daily. Would love to see it gone.

GOOD THING I INCLUDED SPRINT LOCKOUT IN MY POST

• While I can agree with much of that list if implemented properly, I think you have forgot one of the biggest issues. Simple and expanded administration of servers. Did you not learn anything from this side of the game? Without a simplified admin system it still become tedious to do anything efficiently. Pawning it off to Big Brother Bot without even giving a complete instructions and or list of console and admin commands is bad, really bad. This is specially true with commands that are available in the UDK engine but not accessible in Chiv.

How hard is it to have a admin login file that remembers logged in admins then has a simple button interface like the game menu? I have already dropped hosting two servers, now I am down to one and we barely use it as is.