Community Update

• @HiveGaming:

Tibberius - We shot you an e-mail off last month that’s yet to be replied too. Have you received it? We are here and deftly willing to work with the community as far as competitive chivalry gaming goes. We look forward to your reply

No thanks we don’t want some third party community to deal with tournaments.

• So many hopes and dreams in this topic…

Just a reminder to people who are forgetting the track record; don’t let your hopes be crushed again.

• @CRUSHED:

Using a mechanic to stomp noobs

Make it a server configuration option so competitive players can play spinning, sprinting, full feint, face hugging, unlimited stamina on themselves instead of pub stomping.

Casuals pay the bills, competitive is barely 1% of the community, though 40% of the forum.

• barely 1% of the community my ass

you have to seperate pub stompers from competitive dude

there are pub stompers that are not competitive players

pretty much most of your veteran players

• Awesome! Tibbs is back!

• @CRUSHED:

barely 1% of the community my ass

you have to seperate pub stompers from competitive dude

there are pub stompers that are not competitive players

pretty much most of your veteran players

^ This is so true it hurts. Most comp players in NA right now are just a bunch of casual pub stompers who started a clan because they think they’re tough shit. There’s no more competition in NA right now. The only other clan in NA that can put up a fight against us is Faucheur, who we sometimes scrim, but they’ve all moved on for the most part.

• @Flippy:

The only other clan in NA that can put up a fight against us is Faucheur, who we sometimes scrim, but they’ve all moved on for the most part.

I find it quite sad that most of the players that were in strong support for certain changes that were opposed by others have simply vanished even though they got what they wanted (or what they thought they wanted at least).

• The bubble’s purpose was to make facehugging less effective/annoying right? I think another solution could be to add tracers to the arms and make them parry-able there. In reality, if someone got that close you’d either grapple or jam their arms so they can’t swing. This would require tracers to have different damage values based on location, which they should. For example, the handle on the bardiche shouldn’t do full damage.

• #1 Thing that needs to happen is bug fixes and making Chivalry a functional stable program. Ever since the last patch I have been dealing with crashes and I know of others with the same bug. This includes rank bug, improving the SDK, etc.
    How about Crossfire and SLI support? Many other indie games have it; NS2 and many more. (I will keep asking for this…. :distracted:)

#2 Balancing
    -Knights feel like defenseless whales hunted by every other class, and shields have been unviable since CU1.
    -MAA dodge needs a small nerf.
    -Archers’ arrows do far too much damage and are too easy to land. Try reducing the damage or making the hit box on arrows smaller.
    Vanguards actually feel pretty balanced, modify them last if you choose to do so.
    #3** FIX THE BUBBLE

• I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I like most of the proposed changes. On the other hand, the proposed revisions are indicative of TB’s mania in regards to balance. It seems like the purposed changes would take Medieval back to a higher skilled cap game. Which is the exact opposite of where they moved game with the last major revision.

It’s these radical shifts in balance that cast off more players than any other aspect. TB just needs to establish a vision for their product and stick with it.

They should differentiate the product lines between Deadliest and Medieval by skill cap. In that Medieval should be marketed as a high skill cap, E-sport type game. While Deadliest would be marketed as the casual fast paced hack and slash game.

The products would synergize well too. E sport events would promote sales of Deadliest. While sales of Deadliest would promote sales of Medieval, as players wanted to take the next step up in skill. As compared to right now, where both games cannibalize each others market.

• There are a lot of viable options that could be done right now, I got a couple of suggestions myself that could perhaps be something. Keep in mind that this is just a couple of thoughts that hopefully could get experimented with or beta tested.

Game mechanics/animations/bugs/glitches

*Fix current vanguard charge.

*Improve the blockbox to prevent strikes that should not be hit.

*Remove panic parry.

*Remove chase mechanic and instead implement stable movement speed for each class. Going from fastest unit to slowest: MaA>Archer>Vanguard>Knight. Some might NOT like this idea because the faster classes can outrun the slower ones, but then again, a knight should not be able to outrun a man at arms, and there is not reason for a knight to do so. This system worked once before in AoC, we should atleast try it here too.

*Remove or decrease the collision bubble.

*Reintroduce combo feint to parry, but make it work with the current feint changes, meaning that you will be limited with the current feint window to perform a successful parry mid-combo and not until the very end of windup.

*Reimplement old attack animations from the first patch of this game.

*Damage should be inflicted by the amount of stamina you have, meaning if you are below a certain amount of levels in the stamina bar, you’ll deal lesser and lesser damage. Hitting 0 stamina will cause you to not being able to attack/windup.

*Try to look for the issue that causes ghostswings and no flinch at occasions.

Class balancement

Archers

*Rework the range system. Remove the crosshairs entirely from the game, making it more difficult for archers to aim and other classes with throwables. Implement AoC style aiming, archers with bows has to aim with the tip of the arrow that is currently being fired, crossbow archers has to aim with an iron sight that is attached to the crossbow, javelin archers / other throwables will use the hand that is not occupied to aim with, like so : http://imgur.com/xBp7bX2. Making it harder for everyone to land projectiles in general, makes it more challanging and satisfying to land.

*Archers are also currently very strong in melee, stronger than archers should be. The whole idea of archers is that their ranged attacks is powerful, but less useful in melee. And therefor, archers should take damage for attempting to block heavier weapons such as maul, bardiche, messer etc. This should have been in the game since start.

*Remove sling from the game and implement something useful instead.

Man at Arms

*Remove dodge entirely IF the removal of chase mechanic and stable movement speeds as suggested above are to be implemented. If not, nerf it somehow.

*Improve tracers of an x amount of weapons.

Vanguards

*Has currently a lot of imba weapons such as spear, greatsword, halberd which should be looked into.

*Instead of having charge ability, perhaps some other ability may be useful?

Knights

*Knights are quite underpowered in this patch, I do not know in what way this class should be buffed, suggestions?

*Rework the flails, I was really let down of how the flails turned out in this game since I was looking forward to play my main class once again. Remove the shieldbash and reintroduce its 360 degree attack (might be difficult for chiv). Allow the heather shield with the flail, this is a MUST.

I am very intrested in hearing everyones opinions about these suggestions, some might be good, some might be bullshit, feedback and critique would be much appreciated!

• As for the MAA dodge, hear me out. It would cost the same amount of stamina, but only cover 3/4 of the original distance or so. This way it could still be used to dodge attacks, like it should, without giving the MAA that stupid advantage. Such as dodging out and regenning stamina. This would also prevent MAA dodging 180 degrees around someone which is just silly.

Oh, and don’t re-implement attack during dodge. Pls dun do it.

• @Flippy:

Exactly, word.

• @Flippy:

As for the MAA dodge, hear me out. It would cost the same amount of stamina, but only cover 3/4 of the original distance or so. This way it could still be used to dodge attacks, like it should, without giving the MAA that stupid advantage. Such as dodging out and regenning stamina. This would also prevent MAA dodging 180 degrees around someone which is just silly.

I don’t think that had even be considered. We understand that the last thing the dodge needs is a buff.

• I think that dodge is actually pretty close to being fair, it just needs some tweaking. I like Flippy’s idea of dodge only going 3/4 of the original distance. The cooldown is fine, and I think not being able to dodge while attacking is fine. Perhaps increase the stamina usage of a dodge? I think finding a way to lock an MaA to only three dodges could be a good idea. It should be tuned towards a defensive maneuver, not offensive.

• I’d be fine with ¾ dodge distance only if the dodge was made so that you always dodged that distance. Too many times surfaces make you dodge less distance. Even with ¾ dodge distance, I still think it would be possible to do those dodges that take you to the opponents back. It’s only accomplishable if you don’t have the dodge touch the enemies collision bubble and you don’t get stopped or slowed down.

And to the people who say that dodge should only be used as a defensive move, how can you even classify how a dodge is used during fights? If I dodge around someone’s side to avoid their attack and give them a sneaky stab, is that an offensive dodge or a defensive dodge? If I dodge out of the way of someone’s attack range and try to hit them during recovery, is that an offensive dodge or a defensive dodge? What I’m getting at is that you cannot strictly change dodge and try to categorise it to only a defensive mechanic. It just wouldn’t work.

Having it how it is at the moment (in terms of how it works technically) is good, it allows a higher skill ceiling to be had. So please Torn Banner, do not listen to the people who go as far as to say remove dodge and certainly don’t try your hand at attempting to warp it into a “defensive mechanic”.

• @Dubjay:

*Remove chase mechanic and instead implement stable movement speed for each class. Going from fastest unit to slowest: MaA>Archer>Vanguard>Knight. Some might NOT like this idea because the faster classes can outrun the slower ones, but then again, a knight should not be able to outrun a man at arms, and there is not reason for a knight to do so. This system worked once before in AoC, we should atleast try it here too.

There’s A LOT of reasons why a knight should be able to catch up to MaAs and archers. Especially when it comes to TO, or when the MaA/Archer is stalling at the end of a TDM or LTS.

• @SOC:

There’s A LOT of reasons why a knight should be able to catch up to MaAs and archers. Especially when it comes to TO, or when the MaA/Archer is stalling at the end of a TDM or LTS.

And that’s the difference between outrunning and catching people.
    Knights shouldn’t have such a hard time catching people. I suggested a while ago that we get different movespeed boosts depending on which class you are against which class you are chasing. This would allow the already fast classes to remain relatively the same when chasing another one of their class and wouldn’t get an unneeded speed boost against slower classes (such as MaA chasing a Knight). This would then allow the slowest class Knight a lot more room to work with as he could then chase down the faster classes.

• @DokB:

So please Torn Banner, do not listen to the people who go as far as to say remove dodge and certainly don’t try your hand at attempting to warp it into a “defensive mechanic”.

I don’t think it should be completely defensive, but I think they give MaAs too much of an offensive advantage, while essentially being immune to feints, and having a “get out of jail free card” move, on top of their high movement speed, and quick weapons that can have a deceiving reach, like the broadsword.

Dodging in to punish someone’s mistake is fine. You made a good point about a dodge being used defensively and offensively in the same “turn.” What I meant, was that the primary focus of it should be to keep you alive, not necessarily to kill your opponent. But, I agree, it would be hard to box it in to a certain role. Perhaps just stick with the reduced distance of the dodge, and have it use more stamina, to encourage players to use their dodges wisely.

• @SOC:

There is no reason for the knights to go after the man at arms in TO, its not their job, you guard the objective and let the objective whores come to you, if the man at arms decides to run away, then the knight has won the fight.