Community Update

• @Dubjay:

There is no reason for the knights to go after the man at arms in TO, its not their job, you guard the objective and let the objective whores come to you, if the man at arms decides to run away, then the knight has won the fight.

So you mean that MaA on attacking team when you’re trying to defend the objective just grabs a torch and out runs you all game, or when they’re slaughtering peasants and constantly running away from you and you can’t ever stop them. Okay, got it.

• @Chimpanzer:

I don’t think it should be completely defensive, but I think they give MaAs too much of an offensive advantage, while essentially being immune to feints, and having a “get out of jail free card” move, on top of their high movement speed, and quick weapons that can have a deceiving reach, like the broadsword.

Dodging in to punish someone’s mistake is fine. You made a good point about a dodge being used defensively and offensively in the same “turn.” What I meant, was that the primary focus of it should be to keep you alive, not necessarily to kill your opponent. But, I agree, it would be hard to box it in to a certain role. Perhaps just stick with the reduced distance of the dodge, and have it use more stamina, to encourage players to use their dodges wisely.

I can agree with you when you say dodge should be used to keep the player alive, but then that’s the beauty of Chivalry where you’ve got a mechanic that can be adapted to be used offensively. It allows for higher levels of play, makes the combat feel more intense and micro intensive.

I can’t say dodge gives you an immunity to feints. Sometimes you might not want to dodge and instead you want to get a parry into riposte. It only really works that way if the MaA beforehand dedicates to the action of the enemies attacking. That’s why I believe feints still are an effective way to bait out a dodge if you wish or to keep the MaA guessing to what you might do and try to get him to make a mistake.

I would admit however that the MaA who just back dodge after every attack, while not very skilled, it is a bit too rewarding for it escapes pretty much every weapons reach which isn’t a Spear or a longer Polearm. So having a reduced dodge distance, like you said, would be a good way to counter those MaA who just poke at you then hit back dodge (encouraging a smarter use of dodge).

• @DokB:

I would admit however that the MaA who just back dodge after every attack, while not very skilled, it is a bit too rewarding for it escapes pretty much every weapons reach which isn’t a Spear or a longer Polearm. So having a reduced dodge distance, like you said, would be a good way to counter those MaA who just poke at you then hit back dodge (encouraging a smarter use of dodge).

What is the point of dodge if you can’t dodge out the way… If still in the range of spear or long polearm that helps otherwise less interesting weapons.

Mechanic changes I don’t think will improve the game except for pub stompers.

Focus on bug fixes and TO map content.

• @gregcau:

What is the point of dodge if you can’t dodge out the way… If still in the range of spear or long polearm that helps otherwise less interesting weapons.

Mechanic changes I don’t think will improve the game except for pub stompers.

Focus on bug fixes and TO map content.

Less interesting weapons? I’m talking about MaA just back dodging out of any form of counter attack or striking distance of EVERY weapon in this game except the spears which just might be able to reach them. This would be aimed to help those “less interesting weapons” you speak of.

If we reduce the distance of dodge, we give the slower classes with the weapons that don’t reach so far a little more chance against the already dominant MaA.

Dodge would still be able to dodge things, the MaA player would just need to be more careful with the distance he can achieve with it. For such an easy to use mechanic (dodging backwards after an attack) to work so well in so many situations, I think a reduced dodge distance would help others deal with the MaA.

• @DokB:

I can agree with you when you say dodge should be used to keep the player alive, but then that’s the beauty of Chivalry where you’ve got a mechanic that can be adapted to be used offensively. It allows for higher levels of play, makes the combat feel more intense and micro intensive.

Completely agree, and I’m fine with someone being innovative and finding a new way to push the limit to increase the potential of the class. I’m an MaA main, so, I’m trying to sympathize with other classes, and I understand why it is/can be frustrating to fight someone who’s constantly shifting around. But, I think we/TBS can come to a compromise to make it more balanced for everyone. 10/10 would discuss again.

• @Chimpanzer:

Completely agree, and I’m fine with someone being innovative and finding a new way to push the limit to increase the potential of the class. I’m an MaA main, so, I’m trying to sympathize with other classes, and I understand why it is/can be frustrating to fight someone who’s constantly shifting around. But, I think we/TBS can come to a compromise to make it more balanced for everyone. 10/10 would discuss again.

Same boat here with MaA main and likewise, good discussion.

See what happens when TB speaks? Forum’s hasn’t been this civil in a long time.

• With all good intentions community members need to agree on for example the top 2 priorities atm. I suggest a poll of what needs to be change/fixed. That might then put the things in a kind of numerical order that the DEV team can work from. A poll with the 10 things mentioned by Tibberius . In house fighting might not be productive atm.

• I don’t think the only problem with shields is the stamina drain. It’s more about not being able to counter or interupt an enemy who just spams attacks.

• @SOC:

So you mean that MaA on attacking team when you’re trying to defend the objective just grabs a torch and out runs you all game, or when they’re slaughtering peasants and constantly running away from you and you can’t ever stop them. Okay, got it.

You must take into consideration that you have a team that you should be able to rely on in TO, you have archers, man at arms, and vanguards aswell that are able to take out the units that knight aren’t supposed to handle singlehandedly. I don’t know how the scrims work in America, but you’re telling me that everyone is playing their own individual game in a team game?

• @Dubjay:

You must take into consideration that you have a team that you should be able to rely on in TO, you have archers, man at arms, and vanguards aswell that are able to take out the units that knight aren’t supposed to handle singlehandedly. I don’t know how the scrims work in America, but you’re telling me that everyone is playing their own individual game in a team game?

I don’t think changing that mechanic has anything to do with clan battles. It has everything to do with making pubs far less enjoyable where you have no control over your team.

• @SOC:

I don’t think changing that mechanic has anything to do with clan battles. It has everything to do with making pubs far less enjoyable where you have no control over your team.

Hmm not sure what topic you’re on to right now. Could you elaborate?

• 2 Simple and elegant fixs to MAA over dodging.

The range of dodge is determined by current stamina. As your stamina decreases your dodge distance decreases. The longer a MAA fights the less effective he gets.

OR

If a dodge is used within a determined time (maybe 1-2seconds) of another dodge, that dodge stamina cost is increased 50%. Do it again and it is 50% above the already increased dodge. This makes spamming dodge in quick succession a very tiring affair, which it really should be. It still allows the MAA to dodge out of danger, but it begins to limit their offensive capability.

• @NabsterHax:

I find it quite sad that most of the players that were in strong support for certain changes that were opposed by others have simply vanished even though they got what they wanted (or what they thought they wanted at least).

(I know this is quite a few pages back, but I just saw this and wanted to reply)

I know, it’s so strange. They begged and begged for Chiv+ and now that it’s finally here nobody wants to play it.

• @Flippy:

(I know this is quite a few pages back, but I just saw this and wanted to reply)

I know, it’s so strange. They begged and begged for Chiv+ and now that it’s finally here nobody wants to play it.

Reality is less fun than fantasy. Not so easy to try to be TBS.

• @Dubjay:

Hmm not sure what topic you’re on to right now. Could you elaborate?

With your idea of the changes to the chase mechanic, it would be impossible for knights to “deal” with Man at Arms who go straight for the objective on TO in public game matches. I’m speaking for it on a “pub” level, not on a competitive scrim clan battle level.

• Dodge should have a longer cooldown or be removed completely.

• @Xylvion:

Dodge should have a longer cooldown or be removed completely.

Can’t just remove dodge without giving anything in return. MAA would get feinted into oblivion by any other class with longer weapon.

• IMHO Man-at-Arms doesn’t need dodge. Defensive dodge has always been a problem, any kind of turtle mechanic like that is in a fast paced game. It doesn’t mesh. Offensive dodge was a problem because of the super lunge attacks, but to me it was one of the few legitimate uses of dodge as an aggressive maneuver. MaA could just maintain their strong mobility (high base speed + less backpeddal/strafe restriction) and lunge further forward while attacking (the current lunge every class experiences, but amplified) to give them an aggressive boost with their otherwise short range weapons. It’d bring back MaA aggression but without the variable of “I have to parry every time I see a MaA attack out of range because he might light speed lunge stab me”, while eliminating the turtling and nigh uncounterable auto-punishment dodge baiting/feint spam stamina war winning.

I’ve been anti-dodge for a long time and originally wanted to balance MaA away from dodge in CU1P2, but I think it’s already been mentioned how that went down.

• 1. Removing panic parry - > removing dodge and stun

2. Remove archer’s backstab ability and make knights slightly faster.

3. Do some weapon balance

4.Slightly decrease size of bubble

5. From 1,2,3,4 - > remove feints

6. Make some new TO maps

Skillfull game is ready!

• @Artemius:

5. From 1,2,3,4 - > remove feints

Your opinion is invalid if you suggest to remove feints.