State of CMW with focus on the clannie

• The old phrase is back, the clannie. Not necessarily part of a competitive clan but it is the enthusiastic players who play very seriously in the game. The have a large number of hours invested (1000+) and fight with great skill.

I have 1000 hours invested but not a clannie because myself (and probably people like Bill Door) I never tried to achieve excellence in the game. Other priorities, lack of a true gaming rig setup (though I confess I bought a $150 razor mouse with bat wings but I am still charging the bloody battery), preference to changing classes, reduced reaction times etc.

The typical clannie has the following attributes:

• Level 50+
    • Talks about the skill ceiling
    • Often took part in competitive clans (but not all of them)
    • Wishes the change a number of game mechanics
    • Prefers to utilize quick noob killing mechanics (lookdown with the fastest weapons, CfTP, face hugging etc)
    • Loves to dominate pub games (well it is the reward)

The question is whether they evolve the game and are good for the longevity of CMW?

I would argue not really. While they had some good thought on balance, balance is generally fading out as an issue due to all the changes. Mechanics for the most part really need to be reserved for a new release with a new good base that allows for advanced combat maneuvers. Changes that allow better pub stomping is not good for new players picking up the game - it is quite frustrating to see an unbalanced game with 3 50+ on one side and 30s on the other side already because the slaughter is inevitable. They only represent around 1% of the community.

So I think the priorities should be

• bug fixing
    • content

Content in the form of community designed, TBS implemented maps aka the map competition.

With new content, of even better quality than Stoneshill and Dark Forest is really the direction to take.

DW was fine, not my cup of tea, but the stats are dropping again and I believe a few bug fixes and new maps is all it takes to revitalize it. Once that is added you retain more new players which keeps you high on the steam list - which is critical to new sales.

• ^truth. I’m sorry comp players.

• Did you not read my thread on the parallels between TB and Unknown Worlds? UW catered to the competitive players and guess what, game is extremely popular and was on the front page of Twitch with 10,000+ viewers in the most recent tournament.

TB catered to the casual players, and look what happened.

The rank bug is on top of the list of priorities for them anyway, and new content will come eventually.

• @Flippy:

Did you not read my thread on the parallels between TB and Unknown Worlds? UW catered to the competitive players and guess what, game is extremely popular and was on the front page of Twitch with 10,000+ viewers in the most recent tournament.

The rank bug is on top of the list of priorities for them anyway, and new content will come eventually.

I think the fact that the game had a lot less bugs and didn’t hate new players played a far bigger part in its popularity.

• @lemonater47:

I think the fact that the game had a lot less bugs and didn’t hate new players played a far bigger part in its popularity.

Actually Unknown Worlds catered to casual players same way Torn Banner did, before they realized it’s wrong approach.

• @lemonater47:

Um, no. Clearly you didn’t read the thread at all. UW released an update that changed every mechanic of the game because the comp players said that it was better than vanilla. They were right.

• Our clan is bigger then yours, we are the casual’s if not for us you would not be here today. we are spoil brats TB’s favourites we can do no wrong :). I do like that signature how did you get that pink butterfly under the writing?

• @Flippy:

Um, no. Clearly you didn’t read the thread at all. UW released an update that changed every mechanic of the game because the comp players said that it was better than vanilla. They were right.

And that increased the playerbase how exactly?

• @lemonater47:

And that increased the playerbase how exactly?

Because the game became 10x better. Lemon just please break your fingers so you can never type.

• Read the damn thread, it’s not hard.

• Gaming rig setup? I’m playing on laptop and used a 10 dorrar mouse and I was doing arright.

People aren’t asking for much change, its literaly maximum 30 seconds of work on the side of the developers to please the competetive community.

Bring back CFtP. Its not about freaking owning and all the other crap you mentioned its about how the game plays. I can still make full server rage quit with certain weapons even in the absence of CFtP. My ability to pub stomp is unaffected. Trust me with or without CFtP, those poor casuals will just find another mechanic to blame.

This argument has been brought up a couple of times already so I don’t see why you’re under the illusion that “CLAN FGS TRYING TO COUPE THE GAME EEE!”

Its more fun and more fluid with CFtP and it balances certain classes ingame.

Ofcourse its good for the longevity I’m even going to explain that.

First bug fixes, then balance/ game mechanic fixes AND then content. The fact that CFtP has to return does not influence wether or not you’ll have your new shiny content that.

Why so afraid? Content will come regardless TB has made that much clear so far but what are you with content if your game is broken, further more what are you with content if no one plays it?

The barking of the dogs does not influence the movement of the clouds.

• @Flippy:

Did you not read my thread on the parallels between TB and Unknown Worlds? UW catered to the competitive players and guess what, game is extremely popular and was on the front page of Twitch with 10,000+ viewers in the most recent tournament.

I did read it, but that is like saying drinking diet coke will give you cancer. Just because you can create a correlation does not mean one leads to another. They are two different games and there are many, many factors that lead to success.

The majority of people play and enjoy TO maps. But there are only 5 so sure we spice it up with a little duel a little LTS etc. But the bread and butter of the game is team battles. New content is desperately needed. I agree that competitive players provided essential balance feedback, but I think we are past that. Raising the skill ceiling could be done, as a low priority. Perhaps if a server side option for competitive games, but again I think we are past that with most clans having disbanded and I really doubt it was The patch that caused that. Rather the famously failed competition along with people just moving on due to lack of interesting strategic and tactical battles.

• It already is a serverside option.

Chiv +.

Other games have competitive mods and largely the competitive players stick to them.

• Game balanced for competitive play is gonna be just as good for casual players but not vice versa.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

Game balanced for competitive play is gonna be just as good for casual players.

With CFtP it sadly wasn’t the case.

• @lemonater47:

With CFtP it sadly wasn’t the case.

What do you mean?

• I’m pretty sure the numbers are dropping because the competitive scene remains dead, due to the bugs and bad mechanics to the game, not just lack of new content. I think content is important, but it’s far less important than -finally- getting the game into a good, solid and stable state.

It isn’t because rank 50s team stack that new players aren’t staying. It’s because their weapons aren’t unlocking and they’re stuck at rank 5.

• @Sophax:

Bring back CFtP. Its not about freaking owning and all the other crap you mentioned its about how the game plays. I can still make full server rage quit with certain weapons even in the absence of CFtP. My ability to pub stomp is unaffected. Trust me with or without CFtP, those poor will just find another mechanic to blame.

Maybe they will, I never used it - at least not intentionally. Will it make any difference to the server population, to sales to new players, unlikely. Might appease a few hundred players out of 30,000 but will it bring back clan competition - not a chance. I agree it is not a major pub stomping tool so I don’t really care either way. Though I do think if you constantly combo regardless if you hit or not - which a lot of clannies do, you are punished by not having it. What warrior really purposefully misses and wastes energy? So if they bring it back I hope with a strong stamina penalty for spinning in circles constant comboing and forced to feint and parry.

• Really? this shit again?

• @gregcau:

What warrior really purposefully misses and wastes energy?

Yeah lets bring realism into this.