The BEST idea for the next DLC

• When Chiv first came out we were promised that all future DLC releases would be completely free, I do admit we got a neat dueling mode and Frigid and Citadel, but it’s been ages since that.

After Deadilest Warrior it became clear that TB couldn’t continue making free DLC and actually had to earn some income.

So here’s the logical solution:

You’ve got a ton of fan-made maps on the steam workshop, from what I’ve seen at least ten are TB-quality. A few months ago Counter-Strike: Global Offensive got the idea of taking the best maps from the CS:GO workshop and actually implementing them into the official maps, it was awesome to have so many new maps even though they were in the workshop the whole time. But now everyone had these maps since they were official and came with a patch, before (like chivalry) these high quality workshop maps were hardly played except for a dedicated server to the map, which was rare.

All TB has to do is release a patch with the best workshop maps, the mappers will feel honored and it’s good to put on their resume if they ever want a game dev job where they use UDK. Release this as free and TB hardly puts any effort into what will be a huge positive response from players.

After satisfying their fans with a much needed free DLC, Torn banner can get back to work on whatever its working on now. (Helmets, paid DLC, new game, whatever.)

Sorry if I’m sounding arrogant saying that it’s the ‘best’ idea but I can’t believe TB didn’t think of this before. If anyone can think of why this is stupid please say why.

• We’ve been asking for a map competition since the SDK went live, still hasn’t happened.

• Deadliest warrior wasn’t a little DLC but an expansion. A separate game some would say.

And it was “gameplay related” DLC that would be free. Helmets aren’t gameplay related but aesthetic.

Another words they won’t sell maps or weapons to us.

I mentioned this before the SDK was released and they have acknowledged it at least once seemingly because they got annoyed at me asking.

• imo dw IS a different game and should have been advertised as such. In no way does it conform to anything i’ve called an expansion in the past. Most expansions have the original game and add to it so that you still have the base game but more stuff. Like if DW was an expansion, you’d be able to use all those new classes/weapons etc on the old games maps and game modes.

Take WoW, you have the base game and all it’s expansions, but you still start out at the same area, go through the same words and stuff, but you have access to more. An EXPANSION to me is supposed to EXPAND on the original game, not be completely different.

So i take DW as a completely different game. The only thing that makes it somehow compare to an expansion is the fact that you have to own the first game to play it for some unknown reason.

• Yeah I’ve also been asking for this. It seems a pretty quick and easy way to get new maps into the game. The problem with custom maps is that they don’t really fill servers no matter how good they are, people just play the official maps. So yeah, making the best custom maps become official maps seems logical.

I’ve downloaded quite a few but not actually seen them hosted on servers (at least within acceptable ping range).

• @AngryDave:

Yeah I’ve also been asking for this. It seems a pretty quick and easy way to get new maps into the game. The problem with custom maps is that they don’t really fill servers no matter how good they are, people just play the official maps. So yeah, making the best custom maps become official maps seems logical.

I’ve downloaded quite a few but not actually seen them hosted on servers (at least within acceptable ping range).

This adds an interesting point, if TB took my advice many great but scarcely used maps would flourish in the official servers, then other servers would follow the example of the official servers since they’re ‘official’ and that must mean they’re great. Also if you own a server with custom maps it’s hard to get many people playing it, but if those custom maps were made official… you get my point.