Good custom maps that don't have game breaking bugs?

• Figured I’d also post this here. You guys know any good custom maps that do not have game breaking bugs in them?
    I want to try running a North America custom map server again.

• cave hideout is clearly the best map and virtually bug free, there are a few others that are worth playing but not many. Motte and bailey is another

• Cave Hideout - Don’t try to load it on a server yet. It got broken somehow cause of TBS/Steam workshop patches. I’m fixing the map right now (Re-doing the landscape, fixing lightning bugs). Expect it to be fully working in few hours.

• awe…. it is clearly the best designed map even better than most of the official ones. Hope it gets fixed soon.

• How does this look for a maplist?
    Maplist=AOCTO-Darkforest_p
    Maplist=AOCTO-Whitenest_p
    Maplist=AOCTO-Bailey_p
    Maplist=AOCTO-Stoneshill_P
    Maplist=AOCTD-CaveHideout_p
    Maplist=AOCTO-Bailey_p
    Maplist=AOCTD-ThroneRoom_P
    Maplist=AOCTO-bluehour_p
    Maplist=AOCLTS-Arena3_p
    Maplist=AOCFFA-CaveHideout_p
    Maplist=AOCCTF-Frigid_p
    Maplist=AOCLTS-CaveHideout_p

• Looks good! Bailey and Bluehour is a good choice.
    Don’t know about that Whitenest map, never played it before.

• There are a few good maps actualy that just need polishing or balancing. They’re so close to being good TO maps.

• Blue hour sucks…. the spawns are just too far away and the lighting in the tower is horrible along with the narrow staircase. IT looks pretty but it needs another objective and spawn points reworked.

• I really like Doctor Zob’s Siege TO map, that one is by far the best IMO. Also Malric’s Manor is very fun, too.

• Zobs siege map is ok, a bit large but very playable. For what ever reason, I think it is the map specular/reflection settings, all versions of that map has bad FPS. I do like the concept of the TO version though.

• I would recommend Neuschwanstein, but it’s not free from bugs. It’s not finished yet though, but when it is, it will be one of the top maps, I hope! Modelled after a real castle, man! And the objectives are very much enjoyable, reaching that last objective, stealing the Holy Grail and the get the hell out of there.

• Maplist=AOCTO-Darkforest_p
    Maplist=AOCTO-Whitenest_p
    Maplist=AOCTO-Bailey_p
    Maplist=AOCTO-Stoneshill_P
    Maplist=AOCTD-CaveHideout_p
    Maplist=AOCTO-Bailey_p
    Maplist=AOCTD-ThroneRoom_P
    Maplist=AOCLTS-Arena3_p
    Maplist=AOCFFA-CaveHideout_p
    Maplist=AOCCTF-Frigid_p
    Maplist=AOCLTS-CaveHideout_p

Updated maplist. The server is now up and running with 24 slots.
    Name of the server is

Semi-Custom Map Server - Custom maps may have long load times

The direct ip to connect to using the open console command is

208.100.25.73:7797

Note that the custom maps may or may not take a while to load. The total download upon connecting is somewhere between 80-120 MB. (I think)

• @Retsnom:

Zobs siege map is ok, a bit large but very playable. For what ever reason, I think it is the map specular/reflection settings, all versions of that map has bad FPS. I do like the concept of the TO version though.

It runs fine on my machine but I’m not surprised that others have FPS problems with it. I need to make a few optimisation passes over it, removing unnecessary meshes, collision, fixing some UVs etc.

The truth is I am only half way through finishing the map but got disillusioned with hardly anyone playing the custom maps and the dwindling population even playing CMW made it seem like a lot of work without much reward. I may have another go when they announce the contest.

• @Dr:

It runs fine on my machine but I’m not surprised that others have FPS problems with it. I need to make a few optimisation passes over it, removing unnecessary meshes, collision, fixing some UVs etc.

The truth is I am only half way through finishing the map but got disillusioned with hardly anyone playing the custom maps and the dwindling population even playing CMW made it seem like a lot of work without much reward. I may have another go when they announce the contest.

That is exactly why I gave up on my plans to convert original AOC maps for Chiv. Just didnt seem worth it and I would have to do some serious scaling and creative use of the UDK engine to get it to do the things that HL2 engine does so well. That and I wanted original Catapults, ballistas, and trebuches to have the same abilities and functions as the current versions just suck, aiming, views, rate of fire, and how the function. Chivs are terribly limited in all of those not to mention the mounting and dismounting bugs.

• @Retsnom:

That is exactly why I gave up on my plans to convert original AOC maps for Chiv. Just didnt seem worth it and I would have to do some serious scaling and creative use of the UDK engine to get it to do the things that HL2 engine does so well. That and I wanted original Catapults, ballistas, and trebuches to have the same abilities and functions as the current versions just suck, aiming, views, rate of fire, and how the function. Chivs are terribly limited in all of those not to mention the mounting and dismounting bugs.

Yeah the dismounting bugs also had a direct effect on my map, the ballistas on the walls would often drop people off the edge or get in the way of other things. Also why can’t we use trebuchets at all? Lastly when I put ballistas and catapults side by side in my map for both attackers and defenders I realized just how bad catapults were: less accurate (much harder to aim), much less range, only slightly more AOE damage than a ballista bolt and need to be manually reloaded whilst ballistas reload by themselves.

• I have never understod why you would have to mount a catapult and not have an auto reload. If it just had turn/aiming triggers along with auto reloads like AOC cats, it would be more more fluid of a game. In AOC you could have one guy aiming, another guy defending you and another guy on the fire trigger. Then you have the fact, because you are mounted, you cannot see where they are landing because the Cat itself is in the way not to mention getting accurate range shots as the audio and visual clues desync all the freaking time.

Funny how they have auto trebuches but you cannot use or aim them. They are just FPS killing eye candy. Then even just standing there to cap them? Stupid. Why not just put a damage meter on them and make them distructable? Would add another level of objective and to watch you stamina.

Ballisata visual aiming is stuttering and wonky and fills 80% of your screen…… So many lessons not learned from AOC…

• Yeah I had the idea the other day that on Hillside they should reintroduce treb 3 but make them all destructible and give them hit points. Get rid of the silly boxes you have to stand on or even better make them places the defenders can stand to slowly heal the trebs.

I think the problem is that it’s easy to give a static mesh hit points but the trebs are interp actors.

• *Issue is fixed i think