Knight dragged stabs

• You know what I’m talking about. A knight gets in your face starts a stab and starts looking left and right so you can’t tell which side the stab will come from.

What’s the best way to defend against these? It seems to be one of the only moves I can neither use nor defend against very well. Veterans… the floor is yours.

• Walk into his stab tracers if he’s trying to drag around you.

Turn hard into your parry from whichever side it’s coming from, 90 degrees +

Good luck reading a SoW dragged stab though. They can be brutal at times.

• A knight? I would say this occurs alot more with vanguards, its also alooot harder to counter when a vanguard does a delayed dragstab than when a knight does it.

• This post is deleted!

• It aint easy being a casual

• @Pungvarg:

It aint easy being a casual

Quite easy to be a douche though.

I think its less about the common stab drag - the one where you try to get around your opponent stabbing his side - but about the “inside your body” drag where you put your weapon inside your opponents body and move it around hoping that his parry is aimed to the wrong side when windup ends.

For this there are some methods:

• more aggression:
      In order to use this move your weapon needs a fairly long windup on stab and you need to be fairly close. Thus you are vulnerable to counterattacks from faster weapons and/or better times strikes.
    • kick him:
      Similar to the above but needs stamina instead of speed. The knockback help putting your opponent in a more “manageable” distance and have a chance of flinching him.
    • avoid facehug range:
      Its clunkier than ever thanks to the bubble. Just pick a longer weapon and keep your distance. Knockback and some footwork also help to maintain distance.

• It’s just practice honestly. I can tell which side the stab will come from most of the time. The most common pattern is (from the defender’s point of view) Left>Right>Left. The reason for this is because the stab comes from your attacks right side, so it’s easier for him to drag it from that side.

If I ever see someone doing that, I just look to my left and parry. Sometimes you’ll get the guy who also goes to the other side. Then it becomes trickier. You’ll just have to read his actions on the spot.

• TO HOLD DOWN A PILLOW
    To Hold Down a Pillow means not allowing the enemy’s head to rise.
    In contests of strategy it is bad to be led about by the enemy. You must always be able to lead the enemy
    about. Obviously the enemy will also be thinking of doing this, but he cannot forestall you if you do not
    allow him to come out. In strategy, you must stop the enemy as he attempts to cut; you must push down his
    thrust, and throw off his hold when he tries to grapple. This is the meaning of to hold down a pillow". When
    you have grasped this principle, whatever the enemy tries to bring about in the fight you will see in advance
    and suppress it. The spirit is too check his attack at the syllable at…, when he jumps check his jump at the
    syllable ju…, and check his cut at "cu…

Taken from ‘The book of five Rings’ written by what is regarded as the most successful Japanese Ronin in existence, Miyamoto Musashi. If what is written about his life is a truthful account of his life, he may even be among the finest fighters that ever existed.

Anyway, the point is when people start to drag and they are in close range, you move into their attack and force a parry. Sometimes you have to jump+parry for overheads, step to your forward left for a LMB drag and so on. The idea is to play their drag against them. If you are further away, just let them swing and waste stamina. If you are in the middle ground, you have positioned yourself poorly and let them control the fight, don’t do it again.

• I always referred to it as the ‘snake stab’! XD It’s only really effective with knight from close range, so a good defence against it is to kick him away. You can usually predict it too. It’s quite an advanced technique (I guess), so if you learn to expect it from good sword knights (especially powerful with the SOW), and you can often guess when they might try it because they try to close too much before winding up. Then you can kick them or look down overhead. It’s a good move though, make it your own!

You can obviously do similar stuff with the van swords from further out too, but when they’re done from distance I find them pretty easy to deal with, personally. It’s the lookdowns with vanguard that trouble me more.

• The Vanguard look downs are surmounted by simply baiting the attack out of them and punishing them for it, or using fancy footwork being sure to remain in the dominate position and feint/flinch them not even letting them get their overhead in at all.

• To defend against stab drags: Hold S+D (or S+A, situational but you want to be walking at an angle) when you see them start their attack and be ready to parry. This creates some distance between you and your opponent and makes you tougher to sidestab because those attacks aimed at your side are now hitting your front. Also, most of the time when people do stab drags they stab to their right (your left). Using the method above and looking slightly more to the side than you normally would should help a lot. With everything though it all comes down to practising until you get it down to a reaction. Also Greatsword is a bitch when it comes to stab drags, they’re extremely powerful and (in my opinion) the hardest to defend against.

• @Kim:

Also Greatsword is a bitch when it comes to stab drags, they’re extremely powerful and (in my opinion) the hardest to defend against.

This.

Definitely one of the hardest weapons to block when dragging is involved. You have a high damage weapon that can either hit you extremely fast, or it can be dragged out and manipulated as it stays in release for a good amount of time where your opponent can drag from left to right and back to left.

Compare this with a Norse sword while being a bit faster, it cannot be dragged anyway near as much as a Greatsword and you know at least where the Norse sword is going to try and hit you because it really only has a single trajectory path it can follow. Greatsword’s can have their direction changed close to 3 times in a single stab if you’re good enough.

• Thanks for all the good feedback, particularly Flippy and Evil Minion. I have 600+ hours in the game so some of the other advice was still useful but not so applicable (to me at least). I was, in fact, referring to the ‘snake stab’ and I ended up using kicks quite often to regain distance but the stam loss then put me at a disadvantage. I started to gather that it more often comes from my left side but hearing that from some of the vets is reassuring.

Kim Jong you make a good point bc ordinarily I will tend to run ‘into’ some attacks to protect against the drags but with those dragged stabs, walking away from the attack will actually help by squaring me up to the opponent.