How To Avoid Handle Hits

• This will be the first in a mini-series of tutorials designed to address a single issue in the game.

Handle hits are a problem on weapons like the grand mace, the bardiche, the polehammer, etc. This is because hit tracers for the weapon extend the length of the weapon, including the handle. When you start an overhead swing, the handle is far enough in front of your body to hit an enemy. This causes them to take damage ‘before the swing even starts’ - though actually the swing has started, you’ve just taken damage from a part of the weapon you weren’t expecting.

Here’s the solution:

Basically, lean the fuck back and crouch when you’re close to someone with one of these weapons.

Another solution is to actually try to block the handle of the weapon, not the actual weapon weapon. You’re going to have to grind yourself into the enemy to accomplish this. Things could get awkward.

• Picasso plays Chiv?

• What happened to the tournament last night, Flippy? You left me hanging. That is, you left me to win easily

• Learning how to crouch and lean back when I don’t have the initiative is the best thing that’s ever happened to me. This definitely helps to avoid getting hit by handles.

• @Yazuak:

What happened to the tournament last night, Flippy? You left me hanging. That is, you left me to win easily

I forfeited yesterday. I’m unable to play because my ISP gave me a bum dish. (see what I did there) I get a constant 20% packet loss with high ping. It would’ve been impossible for me to play so I just forfeited.

• Crouching and looking up is defiantly one of the best defensive positions in the game, vital to know if you are a shield user.

• You don’t even need to lean back to catch the tracers, you can just continue to look forward and be fast with your RMB.

The problem is that in a game which promotes blocking from the tip of the weapon, these select weapons that have this issue completely defeat any notion of that idea. Not only does it animate poorly, if you add a riposte into the situation, you’ve got extremely bad animation for such high damage output.

It only becomes less of a problem for people who’ve played long enough that know they need to parry early against the look down overhead of these weapons. This could either be rectified by a better tutorial system that teaches more about tracers than this “tip of the weapon” business. Or by changing tracers. I prefer the former.

• @DokB:

You don’t even need to lean back to catch the tracers, you can just continue to look forward and be fast with your RMB.

Said that at the bottom, but you gotta be careful with this because most of the weapons are quite draggable, so you block early to try to catch the handle but it actually misses you then your block expires before the main weapon comes down. Not saying it’s not possible, just have to be aware and time it right.

• I dont have a problem with the mechanic at all as it is a horizontal butt stroke. Yeah baby, yeah. But the best defense against it is simply to keep your distance. If you are an aggressive player like I am, you tend to get caught by it more often than not.

• @Yazuak:

Said that at the bottom, but you gotta be careful with this because most of the weapons are quite draggable, so you block early to try to catch the handle but it actually misses you then your block expires before the main weapon comes down. Not saying it’s not possible, just have to be aware and time it right.

Oh I didn’t read that part (unless you editied that part in later but I dunno), to be honest I got distracted by the pretty pictures and me trying to word what I said correctly but you’re right. Another reason why it’s dangerous as it can force you to parry early if they look down but like you said they can aim off to the side and drag upwards a tiny bit and the top most part of the weapons tracers will come down on you. Very scary weapon indeed.

@Retsnom

It just makes me shake my head that a “horizontal anus stroke” has the exact same damage as the huge blade atop the polearm.

• @DokB:

Oh I didn’t read that part (unless you editied that part in later but I dunno), to be honest I got distracted by the pretty pictures and me trying to word what I said correctly but you’re right. Another reason why it’s dangerous as it can force you to parry early if they look down but like you said they can aim off to the side and drag upwards a tiny bit and the top most part of the weapons tracers will come down on you. Very scary weapon indeed.

@Retsnom

It just makes me shake my head that a “horizontal anus stroke” has the exact same damage as the huge blade atop the polearm.

I would say the exact same thing about drags doing the same amount of damage.

• I like the concept they have in DW with optimal hit areas, if they refined that a bit I think it would work well in CMW. Pitty the rest of DW sucks balls haha

• Difference being that dragging can be done with just about every weapon which isn’t a dagger yet this handle hit problem is only limited to a select few.

• The biggest problem with the handle hit is that is it very counter intuitive for newer players, they just don’t understand why they got hit. It can even make them think people are hacking and whatnot.

• They could quick judgement remove part of the lower handles collision box? (granted it’s a solution looking for a problem) But they could.

• The thing is, this shouldn’t even be an issue in the first place. Calling it a “butt stroke” honestly just sounds like backwards rationalization from someone who mains halberd. Of course they would like handle hits because it does grant a large mechanical advantage.

IF the tracers didn’t go past the hands:
    you could still hit people in facehug range just like every other weapon.
    you could still lookdown overhead your heart out just like every other weapon.

my2c

• I would say it was ridiculous that this problem still exists, but I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.

• I’ve pretty much gotten used to the handles on the polearms. They’re quite predictable. But the handle on the maul…it’s teeny tiny so you can’t predict it nearly as effectively. And that little thing one shots every class. At least fix that if you’re going to do anything to handle tracers.

• I dunno. I have a hard time with the halberd tracers. Maybe it’s just weird desynced shit.

• Handle tracers are not good in any weapon. Polearms are supposed to be long weapons that have advantage in reach. Now they have advantage in reach and are super deadly in close range too.

Grand mace, maul, double axe and poleaxe handle hits are just counter intuitive.

Handle hit feints are very balanced and readable tho’. It’s a joke.