MAA in team modes (TO/TD/LTS)

• Excuse my weird curiosity but I wonder what the community thinks about it. Good maa is a hell of a duellist no doubt, but what about the good ol’ team pubstomping? Isn’t he overshadowed a little by a vanguard, probably the best CC class in Chiv?

• MAA’s make for good solo’ers in LTS where they take the opposite direction of it’s team, kill a few enemies, and then duel the remaining enemies in a row if he turns out to be the last man alive.

For TO they tend to make for good assists, but unless you are REALLY good at MAA you’re gonna spend half the time recovering from near-fatal team damage if you decided not to go solo.

I would say MAA’s are being near useless in any good pubstomping match because in crowded battles, apart from the oil pot the MAA just doesn’t offer much crowd control. Sure, you can go nuts with a broadsword and switch enemies one by one by constantly hitting the next guy, but nonetheless you’ll need a team to fight them all off and like I said, your team equals clusterfucks and that’s what you’ll want to avoid as MAA.

That’s just my opinion, anyhoo.

• which the flinch and maa being nerfed ridiculously he is practically useless in more then 1v1 now as you even look at the blade of an opponent and you die.
    don’t get hit.

his weapons are too short as is he, to really be any good out side of 1v1 expecially with his best moved being nerfed the dodge attack.

• Everybody sucks 1vN now.

• MAA isn’t exactly the best at doing the objective. They are probably better off to play whole defending. Less archers aiming at them and no objective to complete.

Other than that they are still good against line targets and many fights you get into are 1v1. Also a very good scavenger class.

• Just run around the enemies and strike them from behind, hit people once or twice making them group up and follow you, throw a firepot, profit. in 1vN situations it’s all about positioning, unless you face noobs that lmb through their team mates, then you’re pretty screwed.

• I disagree completely. MaAs are still the best at doing TO and pub stomping as they are at dueling. Just put on broad sword or hatchet or holy water sprinkler and kill all the noobs who always suck at parrying. With their OP footwork and dodge you’ll never die, so you can easily go 55-0 as opposed to vanguard or knight who will eventually die since “the patch.” MaAs thrive on “the patch” so you never have to worry about dying to 1vs2+. You even get a shield that vanguards don’t. You can do almost every objective with impunity as you run and run and run and break their chasing dot and constantly avoid all hits. Then when things get too hairy, just run back to your team until you can flank again.

I find it far easier pub stomping as MaA than knight or vanguard.

• @SOC:

you can easily go 55-0

uwotm8
    /10chars

• I’m with SOC, the move speed alone makes you nearly invincible. The only things really impeding most MaA’s dominating streaks in pub TO are the flying vanguards and constant risk of team damage.

• @LTTLWLF:

I’m with SOC, the move speed alone makes you nearly invincible. The only things really impeding most MaA’s dominating streaks in pub TO are the flying vanguards and constant risk of team damage.

I would say archers.

• @SOC:

I disagree completely. MaAs are still the best at doing TO and pub stomping as they are at dueling. Just put on broad sword or hatchet or holy water sprinkler and kill all the noobs who always suck at parrying. With their OP footwork and dodge you’ll never die, so you can easily go 55-0 as opposed to vanguard or knight who will eventually die since “the patch.” MaAs thrive on “the patch” so you never have to worry about dying to 1vs2+. You even get a shield that vanguards don’t. You can do almost every objective with impunity as you run and run and run and break their chasing dot and constantly avoid all hits. Then when things get too hairy, just run back to your team until you can flank again.

I find it far easier pub stomping as MaA than knight or vanguard.

^This

I dont play MAA, They are second in my hate list. First is Archers. But SOC is correct. A good MAA is the fastest and can get to the objects first. This has always been the case since AOC. But in additon to this, in chiv, a good MAA can dance on the outskirts of fights and pick people off with the retardedly long range and damage amount of the morning star and short sword. Add in the foot speed, weapon speed, feint speed, stam/health regen speed and dodge a skilled MAA are virtually impossible to defeat. Shiled MAA are even worse.

Dancing around your teammates and picking off the weak and injured MAA can and do rack up serious kills. Fighting 2 or more is almost a battle in futility as they stab you into the flinch of infinity. If you havent experienced that yet where you cannot move or do anything because you are caught between being flinched and blowback loop, you are in for a treat!

• In a competitive setting top-tier MAA are extremely strong. Tempest has some of the best Men at Arms in the NA comp scene, discounting Kwazi who’s in Faucheur.

Really good MAA can absolutely wreck in comp play, same in pubs.

• A good MAA absolutely dominates team fights. They are essentially built for 1vNs given dodge and their run speed. Good MAA simply bounce from one opponent to the next in team modes. Add in 1h feints, the ridiculous range of some of their stabs, and their seemingly never ending supply of stamina and they are quite powerful.

• yep maa is great in 1v1 and in team fighting. foot speed and dodge coupled with amazing flinching attack speeds and you have yourself a killing machine. 1vmany in this game sucks with any class these days so you might as well use maa. Pick maa with a heater shield and you’re almost unstoppable.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

uwotm8
    /10chars

E said eed wrek u an yuh mum

@ OP

MAA’s main strength in TO is movement speed and harassment (obviously), you can get to an objective faster on the first push, or push a location faster, putting pressure in places that the enemy has to react to. Since you move faster, you can get into flanking positions faster.

MAA’s are more equipped to 1v2. Even if you don’t win the engagement or kill anyone in that 1v2, you are doing your job. If there is a second person fighting you, that means there is 1 less person that your frontline is fighting, which generally helps snowball the situation for your team.

Last but not least, fire-pots, fire-pots, fire-pots. Don’t ever spawn with anything else but one or you are pretty useless. Often times I will purposefully engage in a 1v3 or more, do a lot of damage (and cause them to do a good amount of team damage), possibly get a kill (and most likely die afterwards), just to get that firepot back. Remember, even if you don’t win the engagement, you are lightening the load on your front line for them to be able to push in faster (and you are also weakening their players for yours to clean up).

As far as TO is concerned, MAA is stronger on defending than attacking. See 1v2 explanation above. The enemy is on a time-limit, not you. Stalling long enough for reinforcements to spawn ftw. An impatient MAA is easier to exploit.

Since MAA also are generally on the outskirts of a fight, they most likely have more time to devote to for giving vision / calling things out for your frontline to be aware of.

• @NoVaLombardia:

E said eed wrek u an yuh mum

55-0 easily

• MAA’s are definitely not bad in a team situation, and, like others have said, can even play the biggest role if used properly. Just like all the other classes, it takes a different mindset to play well in a team situation than that of a 1v1, and with the maa’s low health and range this is a very big factor in success. The maa is probably the most situational of all the classes, with many different offensive and defensive tactics and styles to implement that can be combined with loadouts to do a wide variety of tasks on the battlefield. This is true to a certain extent with every other class, but unlike the others a maa needs to be adaptable in order to succeed.
    Most players see the maa only from a dueling standpoint: they can use the dodge to get away from strikes and punish the opponent in recovery. Because this system is easy for players to learn and implement, and usually works against lower levels, Maas in the 20-40ish rank range don’t go beyond the bounds of what they know to be successful in a 1v1 situation. Then they go and try to use this system in a team game or against a knowledgeable player, and their rigidity gets punished. This only strengthens the idea that maas are a dueling class only, and perpetuates the whole “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it” mindset.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

55-0 easily

Maybe I exaggerated some. It’s only mostly easy for decent MaAs to go 55-0 in pubs. The average MaA can easily go 40-1.

• @SOC:

Maybe I exaggerated some. It’s only mostly easy for decent MaAs to go 55-0 in pubs. The average MaA can easily go 40-1.

I’m below average then…random swings tend to get me pretty damn often. ;)

MaA is a “glass cannon” of some sort. You can do amazing things with his speed, dodge and fast weapons. You can die easily too. Pure idea of being alive is based on footwork skills and sensible use of dodge. If you can’t do it cause you are not skilled enough, or if you are distracted, or if you have no room to run around or dodge, or there is just to many swings going at you, you will die. One mistake = 50%+ chunk of HP missing in most cases and for a brief second you can’t use your speed at all. So IMHO what you can do is balanced due to a fact that it is not that easy to do it constantly. If there are some guys that CAN do it, let them…they are elite, no need to nerf out of jealousy.

All that said, MaA in team modes are super effective, easily conterable with archers though…or another MaA.

• “The Jaz” who hardly ever comes on here is pretty epic. He carries bad LTS teams even during 1 v 5. He’s easily woth 5 men.