Lightning problem (everything dark but terrain)

• So yeah me and some others noticed that on max graphics everything gets dark but the terrain (on my recent map)

no clue which graphic option does it though

global illumination is already on and i dont know what to change in the lightmass settings tbh, anyone got a tip?

any help is appreciated

• Not too sure what could be causing this. What kind of lights do you have in the scene? Are there any significant errors popping up when you build lighting? Have you changed anything in your dominant directional light? Possibly compare your light settings to that of one of the cooked maps.

• Did you actually put any lights in the map? You also have to build the light maps before you cook it or make sure that it is set to build the light map.

• If all else fails. Copy everything except your lights into a default/example map, then tweak from there.

• @Andrew:

If all else fails. Copy everything except your lights into a default/example map, then tweak from there.

I tried doing this but when i tried to save it gave me the error “graph linked to external map packages could not save” :/

Ill try to copy everything into a new map and take the settings from the example map

• @CRUSHED:

I tried doing this but when i tried to save it gave me the error “graph linked to external map packages could not save” :/

Ill try to copy everything into a new map and take the settings from the example map

Usually that error means you just have to build geometry.

• I looked at some official maps and got the lightning settings from there

theres much, much less “pitch black” spots now in corners, but im not sure if the bug described in op is fixed, ill test it now

• Andrew do you know where i can find settings for grass (put with the vegetation tool)?

I cant find the option where you can select for it to recieve shadows.

• Alright the thing described in the OP is still there

but now its different, it doesnt affect everything like before, just some cliffs and the castle are affected, not the trees? I dont get it

I dont know how to fix it since i used settings from a official map

• Okay found the problem, the bug happens when i put textures from low to high

any idea?

• Do you have a lightmass importance volume?

Foliage just uses static meshes. So the grass settings would be the static mesh of the grass. It is more likely something in your lighting setup causing that, but it couldn’t hurt to try a different grass mesh and see if you get the same thing.

• Yeah i have a huge lightmass importance volume box over my whole map

do i need to set something in it? Like i said, with textures on low / medium it works fine

only high makes trouble (black objects)

• I linked some of the art guys to this.

• I tried rebuilding the lighting, changing lightning settings, shadow settings etc. Nothing helped unfortunately :/

• hmm tried many things and it works but only uncooked

once i cook the map it looks like this on high settings

http://i.imgur.com/j3g45Gs.jpg

seriously frustrating

• its fixed now was doing something wrong while cooking

• ^ignore that

Basically my map works fine until i cook it. Uncooked everything works, once i cook it and you have textures set to high, everything becomes black.

Whats wrong? When a friend of mine cooks it for me it works fine. I dont get it

while cooking i get this one warning

“Forcing UseTextureFileCache to FALSE for CookedPC”

maybe it has something to do with that?

• How are you cooking it? The built in tool?

• I tried the sdk frontend tool and the bat

both dont work for me.

When my friend cooks it, it works fine. Its really frustrating because i have a huge update ready for my map thats raises the quality significantly but i cant upload it. :/

I thought maybe my files or configs were outdated or something, so i removed them and verified the game cache, sadly it didnt help.

• On of the SDK developers suggest deleting the ini from my Documents, if you have not already. If your friend is cooking it fine, it is definitely something system specific.