Server Mod Map Rotation with different gamemodes

• I cannot for the life of me get our server map rotation to work correctly. I can activate the mod and change maps but I cannot change the gamemode without getting the hybrid mode bug. I have tried every different line I can think of in the maplist section of the .ini file but have still had no luck. Does anyone know how to get the map rotation to switch between gamemodes and maps while running a mod?

For example here is my current file.

Maplist[1]=AOCTO-DarkForrest_p?modname=NoFeint
    Maplist[2]=AOCLTS-Moor_p?modname=NoFeint
    Maplist[3]=AOCTO-Stoneshill_p?modname=NoFeint
    Maplist[4]=AOCLTS-Arena3_p?modname=NoFeint
    Maplist[5]=AOCTO-Hillside_P?modname=NoFeint
    Maplist[6]=AOCLTS-Ruins_P?modname=NoFeint
    Maplist[7]=AOCTO-Battlegrounds_v3_P?modname=NoFeint
    Maplist[8]=AOCLTS-ArgonsWall_p?modname=NoFeint
    Maplist[9]=AOCTO-Citadel_p?modname=NoFeint
    Maplist[10]=AOCLTS-StoneshillVillage_P?modname=NoFeint
    Maplist[11]=AOCCTF-Ruins_Large_P.udk?modname=NoFeint

I have also tried

Maplist[1]=AOCTO-DarkForrest_p?game=NoFeint.nfTO
    Maplist[2]=AOCLTS-Moor_p?game=NoFeint.nfLTS
    etc

I’ve tried a couple of other variations as well but I still get the hybrid bug.

• Developer

What’s a hybrid mode bug? Are you saying it’s not taking the ?modname into account at all? Or is it overlapping the ?modname in the maplist with the ?modname in the command line?

• Alright let me start by going over our mod. Our mod does very little to change base Chivalry but because of the rather silly way you have to make mods in Chiv we need a different gamemode for every Chivalry mode. So we have nfTO, nfLTS, nfCTF, nfTD, nfKOTH, and nfDuel. We just use base Chivalry maps with no custom ones or anything.

The hybrid bug occurs if you try to change maps with different modes with certain commands. For example…let’s say I start my server with this line

AOCTO-DarkForest_p?game=NoFeint.nfTO

. The server is then running with the NoFeint mod on Dark Forrest TO with the NoFeintTO gamemode. If I try to change the map and mode with a simple

adminchangemap aoclts-Moor-p

or allow the map rotation to change maps to a different mode it will switch to MoorLTS (or whatever map you specify) but the actual game mode the map will be running is TO. It will say you have an objective and the spawns could be very random. It’s possible to run a FFA-TO stoneshill with everyone killing eachother but still with objectives this way :p

Anyways the only method I have found so far to change maps and modes is to manually type in

admin servertravel AOCTO-DarkForest_p?game=NoFeint.nfTO

. This doesn’t work with the map rotation part of the .ini file so I am trying to find a way that does work with the server files. Nabster talked about a possible method in the Chiv+ threads but that process did not work when I tried it.

• Developer

Don’t use ?game, use ?modname.

I don’t think you can drop ?modname altogether during a transition (any ? URL option is going to carry between map transitions), but you could probably set it to something invalid like ?modname=none

Instagib and Giant Slayers use ?modname; Instagib can load different game modes (FFA, TD, …) and it handles transitions correctly, so look at that? If you start the server with ?modname and you want to stick with that mod, you don’t need to specify it ever again in the MapList, even for different game modes within the mod.

• I do use ?modname. Look at my first post. Here is my current rotation list

Maplist[1]=AOCTO-DarkForrest_p?modname=NoFeint
    Maplist[2]=AOCLTS-Moor_p?modname=NoFeint
    Maplist[3]=AOCTO-Stoneshill_p?modname=NoFeint
    Maplist[4]=AOCLTS-Arena3_p?modname=NoFeint
    Maplist[5]=AOCTO-Hillside_P?modname=NoFeint
    Maplist[6]=AOCLTS-Ruins_P?modname=NoFeint
    Maplist[7]=AOCTO-Battlegrounds_v3_P?modname=NoFeint
    Maplist[8]=AOCLTS-ArgonsWall_p?modname=NoFeint
    Maplist[9]=AOCTO-Citadel_p?modname=NoFeint
    Maplist[10]=AOCLTS-StoneshillVillage_P?modname=NoFeint
    Maplist[11]=AOCCTF-Ruins_Large_P.udk?modname=NoFeint

• Developer

How are you starting the server?

The example you gave in the second post was using ?game, and would cause this to happen (because, again, ? options are persisted between level transitions). If you’ve ever used ?game, you need to restart the server to drop it.

• Developer

Just downloaded NoFeint. Haven’t tried it yet, but I noticed it doesn’t have a DefaultNoFeint.ini. ?modname won’t do anything without that, so are you starting the server with ?game?

• @CrustaceanSoup:

How are you starting the server?

The example you gave in the second post was using ?game, and would cause this to happen (because, again, ? options are persisted between level transitions). If you’ve ever used ?game, you need to restart the server to drop it.

Alright I’ll give that a try when I get home :) Hopefully that will fix it but I may have tried that already. I can’t remember if I already tried that method or not since I experimented with so many different variables earlier. I guess we’ll find out whether you need a default.ini or not.

• Yes I am starting the server with ?game . I copied the starting line further up in the thread.

AOCTO-DarkForest_p?game=NoFeint.nfTO

• Developer

That’ll be the problem. The inflexibility of ?game is why we added ?modname and the mod config files (see Tutorial: Creating a new mod, starting with the Instagib example)

• Well we made the mod before Instagib came out or any good tutorial for that matter. We looked at the ExampleMod from Nabster but that doesn’t have any default.ini file either.

• While I have your attention how can we edit the fists weapon stats? xD They aren’t a weapon like the other types are so I’m having trouble figuring it out. I tried editing the class that spawn the player with fists but that just broke everything.

• Developer

Fists are totally a weapon. AOCWeapon_Fists and AOCWeaponAttachment_Fists (the latter has the damage). A general “replacing a class’s weapons” tutorial is on the list (it’s one of the placeholder tutorials on the SDK Wiki right now)

• Yes it’s a weapon but it doesn’t give you the weapon like the others…it’s very odd. We replaced all the other classes’ weapons so we know how to do that but fists are being problematic. I’m really tired so I’ll try to get Snoe to post the details.

• Developer

Mmm, they’re not exactly managed like other weapons (i.e. they’re granted automatically in AOCGame’s AddDefaultInventory and AddMinimalInventory, and AOCInventoryManager always switches to them when 4 is pressed), but they otherwise ought to behave like normal weapons. Maybe I’m just missing something.

• @Dr.Nick:

Well we made the mod before Instagib came out or any good tutorial for that matter. We looked at the ExampleMod from Nabster but that doesn’t have any default.ini file either.

Yeah, that was made before ?modname= existed. I’ve been meaning to look into making some more tutorials/tools to make basic modding a bit quicker and easier so you don’t have to worry about messing about with this stuff, but I have been lazy. Maybe I’d do it for another fake $200.

• wow, that was a low blow homie, in my post about the fire arrows is says for fire arrows that work my friend, the ones that you have created we are all very greatfull for brotha,
    but they are merely a cool tracer effect until they are made to proc 100% of the time.

I am a man of my word and I will gladly pay you the money for them when they work and you can kill some one with them Nabster.

as they are right now its merely chance if you even ignite them once with all 15 arrows, and that my friend is not fire arrows that work.
    I know a man with your skills doesn’t want to release stuff that isn’t finished or doesn’t work, we all have been down that road too many times this past year haven’t we.

and we still haven’t worked the freeze bug out yet either Nabster, its making people leave the server because they have no idea what happened and have to alt tab to close the game when it gets that random freeze on the map change.

lets work these kinks out and ill gladly send you your $200 money order!

• I played on WARSAW’s server before the Fire Arrows mod and I never had an issue with the freezing but now that we have gotten the mod I have frozen several times and not to mention the Fire Arrows having gotten peoples hopes up for an arrow that will not even work it just clears the server because everyone wanted a fire arrow that they can kill someone with.

I know WARSAW is a man of his word and if he said he would pay you for the mod, then he will do it. All hes asking is that it works fine and I can agree to that.

Anyways, thanks for what you have so far Nabster and WARSAW keep up the great work with the Server

• I’ve also been unable to get the server map rotation to work as soon as mods are involved.
    Basically, whether I add the ?modname=cpm to all or just one map in the rotation, the server will only proceed changing maps once, twice or never after the game ends. After that, it will just keep on rotating the same map over and over.