Balancing The Knight

• Alright, so these are my thoughts balancing the Knight. This post is mainly going to be geared toward the Knight swords, in particular, the Sword of War and the Longsword.

First of all, these swords got nerfed to hell and back, to the point of them almost not being able to 3 shot their own class unless a hit to the head. The SoW currently can do this with its stabs, doing 34 damage to the chest of the knight, a reliable 3 shot. The Longsword however, MUST get a head hit with one of its attacks to 3 shot, considering the overhand damage to the chest is 33. You know what else does 33? A damn Holy Water Sprinkler. These swords also do about the same against Vanguards, with the SoW possessing a 54 damage chest stab, while the Longsword has a 49 chest overhand.

My take on balancing these would be this. The SoW remains as is, but a buff to the overhand damage up to 30 from 28 to give the SoW more ability to combo into swings while being able to achieve respectable damage. Also, an increase to damage in the stab up to 35 from 34

Now for the Longsword, It NEEDS to have the overhand be 34 damage, able to 3 shot Knights to the chest, but keep its current speed. Also add an extra 1 damage on its stab making it deal 32 damage.

I believe this setup gives both swords a fair chance at dealing damage, with one being a bit slower and draggable, and one being quicker and shorter, while both keeping the same times on their swings.

What are your thoughts?

• +1

I agree with everything

• Came in here expecting swing time changes, didn’t expect this.

Makes sense I suppose, HtK remain relatively the same for the lighter classes (Archer,MaA) so this would only really effect Knight vs Knight/Vanguard which is okay.

• Seems like good ideas to me. I just don’t want the meta to be 50% knights again. :P

• @Flippy:

Seems like good ideas to me. I just don’t want the meta to be 50% knights again. :P

Hopefully that wont happen, especially since these are only minor changes and now knights actually have a reliable counter: the Maul.

@DokB:

Came in here expecting swing time changes, didn’t expect this.

Makes sense I suppose, HtK remain relatively the same for the lighter classes (Archer,MaA) so this would only really effect Knight vs Knight/Vanguard which is okay.

The thing is, if you make them faster, imagine the LS OH drags coming off of a fake accell. That’s a scary thought.

• @Nohbdy111:

Hopefully that wont happen, especially since these are only minor changes and now knights actually have a reliable counter: the Maul.

There’s a lot of weapons that reliably **** the knight. Grand Mace, Maul, Zweihander, Greatsword, Bardiche, Holy Water Sprinkler, Flanged Mace, I mean any blunt weapon or high damage weapon can 2-shot a knight.

• Yeah that would be pretty scary, it would feel like fighting a sluggish greatsword almost. Whenever I see Knight balance threads though I always come in here expecting the nightmare fuel of the old old SoW.

• @Flippy:

There’s a lot of weapons that reliably **** the knight. Grand Mace, Maul, Zweihander, Greatsword, Bardiche, Holy Water Sprinkler, Flanged Mace, I mean any blunt weapon or high damage weapon can 2-shot a knight.

Poor word choice, sorry. I meant a pure knight counter.

• @DokB:

Yeah that would be pretty scary, it would feel like fighting a sluggish greatsword almost. Whenever I see Knight balance threads though I always come in here expecting the nightmare fuel of the old old SoW.

Mike and I don’t want the old ones, just a slight buff. The old ones were just too good at everything, especially wen backed by the knight’s armour.

• @Nohbdy111:

Poor word choice, sorry. I meant a pure knight counter.

Well, as long as it 2-shots it I think it can be considered a knight counter.

• I like those ideas. Gets the swords to be a bit more viable while not being ridiculous.

On a side note, the holy water shouldn’t do that much damage to a knight, 25 for a torso poke is pretty stupid.

• This is a great idea.
    -I’d like to see the SoW be much more effective at stabbing knights, if you look a the model this is its intended purpose!!! (historically). I’m happy for its other attacks to be less effective against all classes, but its stab should be severe.
    -I’d like to see LS be more effective against other classes, they should shit themselves when they see a knight coming with a LS IMO. LS should be brought inline with the crapper weapons in the game so that it doesn’t require so many HtK…

• +1. LS stab needs maybe 3-4 extra points across all the classes, the fact that the messer stab is nearly identical in damage is just stupid.

1H bastards swords could use some love too.

• @LTTLWLF:

……
    1H bastards swords could use some love too.

:sorrow::sorrow::nightmare::nightmare::hororr::hororr::hororr::hopelessness::hopelessness::hopelessness::dispirited::dispirited::dispirited::neglected::neglected::neglected::livid::livid::livid::livid::sulkiness::sulkiness::sulkiness::grumpy::grumpy::grumpy::boxing::boxing::grief::grief::grief::grief::concern::concern::concern::concern:

YES!!! Pleeeeeassse…… They need to be better than beating another player off with a wet noodle.

• Why don’t you just swap to your secondaries if you want a good 1 hander?

• I think these are good changes, but make sure the only way SoW can 2 shot vanguards is with 2 torso stabs and not overhead into stab. Those were the only changes they needed, if any.

• @DokB:

Why don’t you just swap to your secondaries if you want a good 1 hander?

Why should the maa have dodge? Why should the vanguard have a charge attack? I’ll use my class ability if I want to, even if it means I gimp myself in the process. Besides, the fact that the secondary swords are superior to the primaries is why they need a buff in the first place.

• That’s the funny thing, it’s not even really an ability, it’s just a gimmick attached to the weapons available to the Knight.

Was trying to come across as sarcastic FYI.

• @SOC:

I think these are good changes, but make sure the only way SoW can 2 shot vanguards is with 2 torso stabs and not overhead into stab. Those were the only changes they needed, if any.

^ This.

/10chars

• @SOC:

I think these are good changes, but make sure the only way SoW can 2 shot vanguards is with 2 torso stabs and not overhead into stab. Those were the only changes they needed, if any.

I messed around with some calcs and there isn’t a way to do this without making any special exceptions.