FOV Bugs

• So, first thing ive noticed is that with a higher field of view the character arms are bugged. You can see inside of them. Especially with vanguard.

Have not tried it with knight yet.

• Ok as well as this my FPS has dropped to like 11 max when I had 60+ on a GTX 580. Settings don’t seem to matter.

• Ya it’s too bad they didn’t use the whole body for the 1h animations or just attack the camera to the head of the third person animations.

• It was said in one of the early developer videos that the player rig is the same for first and third person views. I’m in no way an expert in the UDK, but from my tests with wire-frame view in the game, I think that the viewing port in first person is limited by a box in front of the player’s model. Every part of the model that is in that box is visible in first person; all the rest is culled. So, if this is true, the issue may be caused by the fact that the view-port box is not adjusted when the fov setting changes.

• The model for first person is different from the one than what you see in third (and on everyone else), it is essentially the front of the body, so I can see why increasing the FOV might do this. The same animations are applied to both the 1st and 3rd person models with the odd exception here and there to make it look better in 1st person view without hugely impacting on 3rd - for example, 2h sword idle animation, in 1st, it’s in front of you, in 3rd, it’s behind you.

• @Martin:

The model for first person is different from the one than what you see in third (and on everyone else), it is essentially the front of the body, so I can see why increasing the FOV might do this. The same animations are applied to both the 1st and 3rd person models with the odd exception here and there to make it look better in 1st person view without hugely impacting on 3rd - for example, 2h sword idle animation, in 1st, it’s in front of you, in 3rd, it’s behind you.

Anyway we can force 3rd person animations/character model in 1st person?

• To be honest, I don’t think forcing the 3p models in 1st would fix the issue, this is honestly an area I know nothing a great deal about, but if I recall correctly (which is still probably wrong, lol), the 1p models were culled down because the complete arms/shoulders/head were clipping with the player camera.

• I realize this thread is 2 months old but I have this same exact issue and I can´t find anything else on the subject.

Whenever I set my FOV to some value which actually allows me to see a good amount of what is going on around me I can see inside the arms of my character. It looks really bad.
    It also happens at lower FOVs but it´s only rarely noticeable then.

Will this ever be fixed?! :?

Edit: screens:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f … =113383378
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f … =113383388

• It’s unlikely as they would have to re-cull the models to cater for larger fovs; the game was made for 95 fov and I don’t even like the idea some people can have a larger degree of view than others, situational awareness at any given point in time means a lot and third person is just as bad as an extra ~20% viewing angle.

• @Martin:

It’s unlikely as they would have to re-cull the models to cater for larger fovs; the game was made for 95 fov and I don’t even like the idea some people can have a larger degree of view than others, situational awareness at any given point in time means a lot and third person is just as bad as an extra ~20% viewing angle.

+This

• It happens even at 95 fov.

€: And frankly it doesn´t matter whether you “like” the idea or not, it is an ingame option which is bugged.

This screenshot was taken at 95 fov:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f … =113399056

• @Martin:

It’s unlikely as they would have to re-cull the models to cater for larger fovs; the game was made for 95 fov and I don’t even like the idea some people can have a larger degree of view than others, situational awareness at any given point in time means a lot and third person is just as bad as an extra ~20% viewing angle.

No. It is a feature in the game. It’s not like hacking camera distance in DotA or something. If the game was intended to be played at exactly 95 fov then there would not be an in-game setting for it. Should CS players only use the default crosshair to then? Third person is a bit different. It’s a feature put in place entirely to attract casual or newer players. It’s like playing EM in DotA for example. It is not meant to be a competitive part of Chivalry.

• I have to agree completely with Martin. I wish the FoV was capped at 100. Past 100 player models get distorted. It’s stupid that people are willing to detriment their gaming experience in order to have a competitive edge.
    This is why I hate “competitive” and “professional” gaming. They’re detrimental to video games when they cross a certain line.
    I’ll give you the example of Quake 3. The “pro-gamer” norm was to turn off all textures and shadows and force character model as Keel (huge and neon green guy), as well of course as to turn the FoV to the max (I was guilty of playing at quakepro levels). The result was that the game looked absolutely terrible, and you had to play like that if you wanted to be on a level playing field with everyone else.

Increasing the FoV past 100 on Chivalry makes the game look bad. So I’m not willing to take it past 100, because I value fun over competition. But in the back of my mind I know that I’m not on a level playing field, and that bothers me.
    This is why most modern multiplayer games have a FoV cap at a reasonable level. BF3 is capped at a max of 90, for example.

I think the developers have a responsibility to create a level playing field at a suitable mark. At the point where player models begin to get distorted, and the experience suffers, that’s where the FoV should be capped.

I know I’m going to get a lot of flame for this from people who feel they should be able to play the game however they see fit. But where do you draw the line? Most people already turn bloom off, music off and set the FoV to the max. Where next? How important can winning be for you?

• uh did you ever think they turn all that stuff off because they don’t like it? i have bloom & all that shit off because my computer can’t actually handle those things and i prefer to have all that bloom garbage off anyway. how is it detrimental to their gaming experience if they have fun/like their settings? i don’t think anyone would actually play as long as they have if they didn’t like how the game looked. most of the textures in newer games are seriously garish and gets in the way of actually playing the damn thing. (chiv’s textures are pretty good though, i haven’t had any problems with it)

i have fun being effective. i have fun being able to play the game in a way that needless visual things don’t get in my way.

the viewmodels honestly aren’t a big deal, you can still see your swings and everything you need to do and saying that 120fov is as bad as 3rd person is fucking hilarious.

and pro gaming detrimental? it introduces people to the game and people get attached to them, keeping them in the game longer even if they don’t necessarily play the game anymore.

why not just put fov at 120, put your mind at ease and deal with the very minor viewmodel issues? or better yet, just stick with 100 and deal with the very minor advantage 120 has over 100. honestly, you don’t even need more than 100 because the maps are simple, you don’t need teammates to watch over 3/4 spots.

if it’s your preference then go play at whatever setting you want to. i know people playing 75FOV in TF2 and they’re still pretty damn good but unlike you they accept the fact that their preference is waaay worse than 90 (compared to 120 vs 100) and they deal with it.

but of course torn banner can either have their own agenda about fov or can listen to whiny babies and change it for no good reason when most players wouldn’t even notice.

• I repeat that screenshot I took at 95 FOV

It also happens at even LOWER fov. Should I take screenshots of that too? :x

There was zero whining in this thread, only constructive things, up and including my first post.
    Sadly, a moderator, of all people, then opened the troll gates to insanity and out came abominations like you.

Anyway, I understand now this won´t be resolved. You will continue to spurt out your ramblings and I will stay the hell away from torn banner games in the future. Win-win I guess.
    You´re not doing the developer a favor with your die-hard fanboy act and “I-don´t-even-care”-attitude.

• I play at 110 field of view and never notice this (it is noticeable at 120 though) - it was only until I saw that screenshot that I realized it was screen resolutions causing the issue more so than field of view.

Here’s 110 FoV at 16:9

Here it is at 5:4

Non-widescreen resolution hasn’t been standard in a long time, so it’s not a huge surprise that this was overlooked when the FoV slider was added.

By the way I am of the exact opposite opinion on the field of view issue as most people seem to be. I feel like Chivalry’s original low field of view was a relic of the FPS engines it and its predecessor were based on - Chivalry is not a shooter, and 95 field of view is about the field of view a person has with one eye closed. Which is about what you want when you’re shooting people, but not in a melee game. If it were really that much of an advantage I would crank my FoV up the extra 10.

• @VViking:

I repeat that screenshot I took at 95 FOV

It also happens at even LOWER fov. Should I take screenshots of that too? :x

There was zero whining in this thread, only constructive things, up and including my first post.
    Sadly, a moderator, of all people, then opened the troll gates to insanity and out came abominations like you.

Anyway, I understand now this won´t be resolved. You will continue to spurt out your ramblings and I will stay the hell away from torn banner games in the future. Win-win I guess.
    You´re not doing the developer a favor with your die-hard fanboy act and “I-don´t-even-care”-attitude.

Bear in mind you have posted this in the General Discussion board. As such, a discussion will develop.

If you don’t want that, I suggest you try moving to the support board.

Anyway, I would love to use 120+ FoV if the distortion wasn’t so bad. As SlyGoat said, 95 is the FoV of a single eye.

• Wow my post was rude. I guess I vented some anger there and for that I apologize.

• @PedroFromHell:

But where do you draw the line? Most people already turn bloom off, music off and set the FoV to the max. Where next? How important can winning be for you?

Why don’t we just force everybody to play with the exact same settings? People have preferences—just because you like the default settings of music on, a moderate FOV, and bloom doesn’t mean everybody else does, and just because somebody turns off music or raises the FOV doesn’t mean that they want to win at the expense of fun. Hell, I personally prefer a FOV around 115 or 120, because I like and am familiar with the screen’s distortion.

I wouldn’t even care if the FOV slider went up to 180 or 360 degrees. I’d just laugh if somebody was playing with that much of a distorted screen; no monitor/resolution in the world would make it look normal enough to be playable. The lower end of the slider, of course, must be no less than the FOV when zoomed in with ranged weapons, but that can be set somewhat arbitrarily.

• I have max fov and I could not see myself play with less, I do not experience these issues though as severe anyway, in my eyes it looks great. Maybe because I do not play with 2handed swords? :)