A concern for spear class users

• I am making this post in response to the latest patch in the beta. One of the two main items introduced in the beta where the introduction of parry into parry and the re-introduction of Combo feint to parry. While these two mechanics offer benefit to many classes, spear class users seem to not receiving these benefits. First CFtP. Combo feint to parry offers a significant advantage to all classes of weapons except the spear, fork, and brandistock. As a result spear users are receiving a massive indirect nerf here in 1v1 situations. Secondly the PiP mechanic. The spear class of weapons serve mainly as support weapons in competitive matches and by adding this new mechanic the spears are also nerfed in the aspect of assists. I am aware that spears are not a common weapon in competitive matches, and as such they are not well represented in these forums. As one of the few competitive spear class users I feel that I need to voice my concern that if this patch is implemented in its current state use of the spears in the competitive community may no longer be viable.

Any discussion/solutions/concern with this topic would be appreciated, especially those of other spear users.

• Spears were fine before and they gonna be fine now.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

Spears were fine before and they gonna be fine now.

He may have a point with the PiP mechanic, as that’s new. It would take some fairly extensive testing to see if it caused problems, however.

• Rumple, while the spears have been pretty unchanching in respects to their stats and mechanics of play I feel that the other classes of weapons have been given a chance to improve the skill and depth of their engagementsand by not being given the same chance to improve their combat that spears may fall behind

• @Cerebral:

Rumple, while the spears have been pretty unchanching in respects to their stats and mechanics of play I feel that the other classes of weapons have been given a chance to improve the skill and depth of their engagementsand by not being given the same chance to improve their combat that spears may fall behind

Yes, but you do realise that spear weapons were always a very big part of competitive play, even when CFTP was in the game and spears could not recovery parry. They obviously play very differently to other weapons in chivalry, but have always been effective. With increased knockback, they may even be more effective than they were before.

• I could easily use pre-buff brandi against people back before CFtP was removed. I don’t think it’ll be a problem once people adjust.

• I agree that by adding more knockback it would reinforce the range fighting of spears and take advantage of their biggest strength. I am wondering if it would be possible to reinforce the concept or edge range fighting further.

• @Cerebral:

I agree that by adding more knockback it would reinforce the range fighting of spears while taking advantage of their biggest strength, the range of their attacks. I am wondering if it would be possible to reinforce the concept or edge range fighting further.

No, I don’t think they need more knockback. They already have way more knockback than they used to when CFTP was last in the game, and as I and others have said they were already very effective without it.

• @NabsterHax:

No, I don’t think they need more knockback. They already have way more knockback than they used to when CFTP was last in the game, and as I and others have said they were already very effective without it.

I apologize for misuderstanding, but I am still wodering if there is a way to reinforce the edged range fighting currently found in the spear , or if such reinforcement is neccecary. In any case I feel a refocusing of that concept might be benificial.

• I played in a couple beta matches today and I saw a few people using spears. They were doing quite well with them. I think spears will be fine, but we’ll see how it goes.

• spears will still be the best vanguard weapon in the game

• Even if they will still be fine, or in Crushed’s opinion, “spears will still be the best vanguard weapon in the game,” I still think that spears should have to ability to combo. It would make the balance of spears much better and clear-cut if done correctly and it would give them CFTP. Although this beta is not supposed to include balance changes quite yet and allowing the current spears to combo would require a ton of rebalancing and animation work, I think that we should at least try it in a future beta.

• @Nohbdy111:

Even if they will still be fine, or in Crushed’s opinion, “spears will still be the best vanguard weapon in the game,” I still think that spears should have to ability to combo. It would make the balance of spears much better and clear-cut if done correctly and it would give them CFTP. Although this beta is not supposed to include balance changes quite yet and allowing the current spears to combo would require a ton of rebalancing and animation work, I think that we should at least try it in a future beta.

I agree with at least testing the addition of combos to spears, even if it would take quite a bit of time and effort to make it work, or at least realize that it cannot be done.

Additionally perhaps spears should be able to parry before their strike is completed, similar to the way other weapons do so.

• No comboing for spears, please. That is their only weakness currently (and not being able to parry in recovery in future).

They already have longest melee range in the game and great flincher in LMB. Comboing would just make them too damn powerful. Just look at Deadliest Warrior where spears can combo, it’s ridiculous.

• i agree too about testing combo for spears.
    it’s not as ridiculous as you think when you see polearms or all others weapons comboing. Maybe spears will need some adjustements.
    TBS never communicated why there is no ability to combo spears and there is no reason why spears can’t combo in CMW when you can do it in CDW.
    Like for CFtP,do we really need a lobby to be understood or get our wishes?
    Need a poll and a word from TBS for that.
    Sorry my bad english.

• @CRUSHED:

spears will still be the best vanguard weapon in the game

I always thought polearms were the best vanguard weapons :P
    I don’t really have time atm to test the beta but I hope it will be alright. One thing is true though. Spears don’t benefit from CFTP which gives every weapon except for the spears a big buff. It wasn’t a problem in pre-patch/chiv+ though so I guess it won’t be a problem here either and afaik people complain a lot about spears/brandi being OP so it should be okay in the end…

Edit: Please no combos for spears. I don’t want to relearn a weapon that I’ve played since release, you don’t know what you’re asking for. Also it will cause big balancing issues.

• @donibane:

i agree too about testing combo for spears.
    it’s not as ridiculous as you think when you see polearms or all others weapons comboing.

I agree, currently I am seeing all other weapons using combos almost constantly, and with the current mechanics there is very little reason for them not to.

@donibane:

TBS never communicated why there is no ability to combo spears

Similarly what is the reasoning behind the fact that spears cannot move from their strike to a parry like other weapons can?

• Spear combos would change the game wildly and in an unpredictable way. They have never required the ability to combo to be effective, not even in 1v1. What you are asking for will be more trouble than it’s worth.

• Nah leave spears alone, and if they were given combos something would have to go down like speed or damage.

• Perhaps giving spears the ability to combo is too hard to test right now, though I don’t feel that testing it is impossible. What about the idea of allowing them to move quickly into a parry, like other classes can. Due to the uniqe lack of this ability spears seem to be the only class of weapon that can be punished for a missing a strike, with other weapons being able to almost instantaneously parry after a failed attack.