What causes/caused this?(VG sword swing question)

• Even though I’ve played since launch(on and off, major hiatus due to loss of interest after “the patch”), I still instinctively frequent these forums “as a lurker”, just reading the numerous threads on balance and mechanic issues and even though I’m nowhere near as knowledgeable about the intricacies of this game as majority of people on this forum, I feel at ease knowing there’s so many knowledgeable people here with their best interest in returning the game to it’s former glory.

Anyways, my question(which I’m not sure how much it’s dependent on individual weapon stats) is why are vanguards swings so seemingly misleading? Not so much the Zwei, moreso the claymore(which I’m already aware of it’s obnoxious speed), and the overall great GS. But just in combat(I mained SoW knight before the patch, LS Knight now after) it seems reacting to them is harder than it should be. I’ll see a low level vanguard that I’ve previously seen across the map LMB spamming, and so he comes at me LMB spamming away, and so I pay close attention. I see the sword windup, see that he’s about to begin his LMB release, and feel at ease thinking to myself that I have more time to react to it, but then out of nowhere it’s like I’m sucker punched with his attack, as his animation went from behind his back windup, to full on rocket propelled LMB that hits past me, and so he continues his LMB spam, and again, I try to wait for the right timing, but it just seems like the visuals cues aren’t there anymore, and blocking his attack is more anticipatory, as the animation just skips from one end of the spectrum to another.

So, pardon my memory fading, but when exactly did this happen? I only notice it with Vanguards, it just seems like their animations as a whole are just choppier and are misleading with what the character is actually doing. Is this just me? Is TB aware of this? Just curious as to what the veterans have to say on the matter. Also, in these situations I always monitor ping, and both myself and the VG in question would have low ping(~50-70)

• Their animations are quite choppy, but I’m not sure if there’s anything they can do about them. They’re even choppy at 120 fps.

• @Flippy:

Their animations are quite choppy, but I’m not sure if there’s anything they can do about them. They’re even choppy at 120 fps.

Damn…. I dunno bout you Flippy, but I honestly don’t remember them being like this. I’m kind of figuring I remember the change happening was when that one patch that was supposed to fix desyncs and networking code was optimized was released. Then I start noticed choppy VG overheads hitting/killing me in windup, like so

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJnCpidFVmU

• I looks to me like you might have just been touched by the knight behind the VG???

• Haha, Giantyak is right. There was a knight behind the vanguard who LMB’ed through his teammate. That’s hilarious.

• Hm, idk bout that. The Knight was on my team I’m pretty sure, and I was looking right at the VG and his name tag said David D. Davidson and that’s who killed me according to the feed.

But here’s another that just screamed bs to me, knight this time
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=FDGTqK1ycRc

Ever since one of the latest patches, to this day I notice an incredulous amount of VG hitting me in windup, happens more for VG than any other class, way more.

• Even if it was the Knight who killed him, the Van’s animation is whack. It looks like it gets stuck in windup, so something’s wrong there. Do you know your ping and the ping of the opponents?

• @Dr:

Even if it was the Knight who killed him, the Van’s animation is whack. It looks like it gets stuck in windup, so something’s wrong there. Do you know your ping and the ping of the opponents?

Each time these events occur, I make sure to monitor pings, and they’re never abnormally high. Mostly ~ the 50-70 mark. It’s just one day after one of the latest patches, I notice Vanguard animations being choppier and just overall more visually misleading compared to how they used to be

• I noticed weird swing behavior in the latest patch but I felt it might have been a placebo effect from me being in a slump. I have noticed since the change to CMW.exe it crashes in the web browser where it didn’t before.

• the vanguards just look choppy as hell. Even looking at them when they run around is totally whacked.

Idk about those videos, but i mean i’m pretty sure we all know vanguard animations are the worst. Their spring animations, swing animations, just horrid. I pretty much have to guess where they’re hitting me from. Overheads and stabs and such get around my parries all the time even though i think they’re aimed properly so who knows.

• I’ve only got probs with the choppy GS overhead, other than that it seems to work fine.

• @Xylvion:

I’ve only got probs with the choppy GS overhead, other than that it seems to work fine.

I heard something about them removing frames from the overhead when they gimped shields recently, don’t know if its true though.

Also, in that first clip theres no tk in the feed, looks like it was the van that hit. Happens far too often these days.

• @50ShadesofClay:

the vanguards just look choppy as hell. Even looking at them when they run around is totally whacked.

Idk about those videos, but i mean i’m pretty sure we all know vanguard animations are the worst. Their spring animations, swing animations, just horrid. I pretty much have to guess where they’re hitting me from. Overheads and stabs and such get around my parries all the time even though i think they’re aimed properly so who knows.

Haha, for some reason I thought I was the only one that that believes Vans are a big ol’ pile o’ shit most of the time… :-/ I kept thinking to myself, it’s only because that is what MOST people play, so I notice more of the inconsistencies in their swings, or constantly unreadable swings, etc. Then I’ll go and play them for a few minutes (personally don’t like to because of the brokenness I perceive) and then I get accused of “having something fishy about the way I’m swinging” and “I’m watching you Ravnos, this guy could be cheating” and I’m like, dude, I’m not cheating, I’m playing a goddamn vanguard pos. . . frustrating.

I wonder how TB would even address these issues?

• yeah the greatsword and some of the polearms are the worst at animating, and playing with them you kind of understand why. They’re long weapons with short windups on the single overheads, but then the combo times are slowed down so it goes from getting smacked almost instantly to hanging up in the air for an eternity. Can really throw off timing. Furthermore, if you’re one of the guys like myself and many others which can drag weapons over to the opposite side of the one you’re dragging on, (much harder to do with knight weapons and pretty much impossible with most 1 handers because of release time) you can easily drag the strikes on either side, but mostly the complicated ones that become easy are the ones where you go over top of the head to the other side, not sure what to call that kind of drag but most of you will know.

Like i said, the running is very choppy looking and vanguards are by far the most slithery creatures when kiting. Their footspeed seems a little too fast for what they do as i can hardly tell the difference between their running speed vs. maa. I’ve also seen how choppy an overhead swing is but just doing an up down up drag on the mouse, the sword basically just looks like it skips frames when you do these moves which NO other weapons in the game do. It’s like when the chick from ‘The Ring’ comes out of the television and skips toward you (obviously not THAT bad but that kind of skipping). The van swords are the biggest culrpit of this horrid animation.

Footspeed + range + damage + charge attacks + choppy animations (running and swinging) + knockback + stam drain = one hell of a class.