Expanding upon alternative attacks

• Here is something I suggested during the time of the balance council. I posted a big post in the private forums but since everything got deleted there I can’t bring it back. So here’s a part of what I suggested back then and even got the approval from Tibberius from.

I think we can add more meaning and uses to the alternative attacks by:

-Counter with an alternative attack.

For example you parry an attack and you counter immediatly with an alternative slash or overhead. This would make combat more varied and open new ways to get a hit in on your opponent.

-Making it able to combo into alternative swings.

For example you stab, a centralized attack, and then you combo into an alternative slash or overhead. I don’t see harm with doing this, only benefits.

You can also think of other combinations that should make sense if you consider the motion of the arms.

–> A normal slash should be able to combo into an alternative overhead.

Your arms go from right to left and the alternative overhead starts from your left.

I don’t see any direct problem when it comes to gameplay. Neither do I see a direct problem when it comes to the reasonability of asking and writing a few lines of codes.

The animations already exsist you just need to make the able to link together when you use a normal attack ( input A) or an alternative attack (input B).

I think if there is enough demand for this then it should make it into the game.

• It would be a complete bitch trying to read ripostes from fast weapons. Imagine HWS riposte going back and forth between regular LMB and alt LMB.

• @Flippy:

It would be a complete bitch trying to read ripostes from fast weapons. Imagine HWS riposte going back and forth between regular LMB and alt LMB.

Not something that is impossible or super hard to do. They can’t realy feint on the riposte so it comes down to getting down the timings which are pretty much always instant on a riposte with a 1h.

• I would like that. And what I want do add: Feinting a counter-attack.

• I think it would make the combat more interesting and challenging and diverse. I can’t see any negatives about having this implemented. My only concern is would it make desyncs occur more frequently than they do now?

• I support this. Especially the riposte part but I also think ripostes should cost some stamina as they are essentially a special move.

Comboing into alternate swings was suggested before. I like it but it might need some additional animations because comboing from a regular to a regular attack (and from an alternate to an alternate) requires you to move your arm to the other side. For this there might be need of some additional combo windup (similar to simple windup for alternate attacks). Also this should only apply to switching attack. Sequences of one attack should only depend on the first strike (as it is now).

• @afiNity:

I would like that. And what I want do add: Feinting a counter-attack.

Nooo afi… noooo. That would be beyond broken for most weapons. Riposte is good how it is - a risky move than might net you a hit if you’ve surprised the enemy. Despite it’s super easy counter of simply parrying people still miss it often, so I think it’s good right now.

As for the OP, I agree. I would love to be able to riposte a slash from left to right.

• @NabsterHax:

Nooo afi… noooo. That would be beyond broken for most weapons. Riposte is good how it is - a risky move than might net you a hit if you’ve surprised the enemy. Despite it’s super easy counter of simply parrying people still miss it often, so I think it’s good right now.

Well this was the one thing that I always missed since I’ve started playing this game :P

• @afiNity:

Well this was the one thing that I always missed since I’ve started playing this game :P

That’s because you play brandi, where you can’t really parry someone when they aren’t expecting it, so you can’t surprise riposte either. :D

• Ripostes should never be feintable.

I think being able to alt-riposte would be okay, but only as long as the timing is the same, and only the direction needed to block is changed. I think if you started adding alternate timings for riposte, it would be pushing the human limits of reaction time a little too far to be fun with many of the fast weapons. The point of riposte is that it is faster, but un-feintable so you can react fast to parry it. I think the direction needed to block shouldn’t be too much either, trying to parry things mentioned earlier like the HWS or hatchet in face hug range would be a nightmare with alt ripostes.

Comboing into alt swings is something that I think would need to be tested. It sounds cool and good on paper, but it might not look as sweet in the game. I think it would look a little ridiculous at times, especially when feints are involved. But then again I guess if it increases wind up time, it would make it less readable to parry but leave you open for longer… there’s more depth added there. I’d like to see it tested.

• this would be sick, i’ve wanted to have this for a while man. would be str8 legit

• @50ShadesofClay:

this would be sick, i’ve wanted to have this for a while man. would be str8 legit

Too bad it probably won’t make it in the game. The developers or the company’s lead is/are trying to minimize the amount of effort(usage of resources) they have do when it comes to pleasing their fan base at the moment and since this isn’t something a lot of people are asking for its not getting on their radar any time soon.

I kind of understand them though, they can’t wait to start working on their new title full time after trying to leave this mess in a respectable state. In their eyes it sold more copies than they ever expected so they kind of fur filled their goals when it comes to sales.

What they need to work on now is to actually try to mold a game and a state of mind that keeps players playing and supporting you as a company. If you don’t have that you will remain a one hit wonder so I’m curious to see what they’re going to pull of for Chivalry 2.

Its either going to something strange like DW ( although it has some good aspects in my opinion) or its going to be something worthwhile.

Either way I don’t think they can use the exact same formula or at least expect the same amount of success UNLESS they innovate and present their product in a new way.

You could bring up the example of Call of Duty, they do the same thing over and over again without innovating as a counter argument. But the thing is, in contrast to Chivalry, CoD actually has some more player retention than Chivalry. Not necessarily because the game is realy “good” but probably because of the “hype” effect that surrounds it.

We humans are very strange.

• i think they should just do REAL expansion to chivalry including more maps, maybe even a new class, but still keep everything the way it is and add things to it and make it paid. I would SO pay for that. Some more TO maps, and i’d pay for them to keep working on chiv to be honest.

Hell i’ll buy all the helmets right now to help fund the effort a bit more. Torn banner, people will pay for a map pack and shit man, DO IT! Helmets are cool and all but i swear i would pay for maps.

• Feinting a riposte would break the game considerably.

• @50ShadesofClay:

i think they should just do REAL expansion to chivalry including more maps, maybe even a new class, but still keep everything the way it is and add things to it and make it paid. I would SO pay for that. Some more TO maps, and i’d pay for them to keep working on chiv to be honest.

Hell i’ll buy all the helmets right now to help fund the effort a bit more. Torn banner, people will pay for a map pack and shit man, DO IT! Helmets are cool and all but i swear i would pay for maps.

+1

wouldpayformaps/10

• Riposte is good how it is - a risky move

How is it risky lol
    it’s like the safest move ever atleast in 1v1

• @Pungvarg:

How is it risky lol
    it’s like the safest move ever atleast in 1v1

If you just want to give the other guy a free parry so he can feint you again, sure.

• Wasn’t there a bug which made alternative attacks that were combo’d come out from opposite directions?

So if someone combo’d into an alt slash, it visually displayed it coming out from the alternative side, but the tracers actually came from the regular slash side?

• Yes and it was as annoying as hell…especially as a shield user because back then you had to block so far to the sides…

So switching more then 180degrees to the sides to make multiple blocks only to have the swing traces come from the opposite side of the graphic was as annoying as fuck.

• @giantyak:

Yes and it was as annoying as hell…especially as a shield user because back then you had to block so far to the sides…

So switching more then 180degrees to the sides to make multiple blocks only to have the swing traces come from the opposite side of the graphic was as annoying as fuck.

Shield users only had to turn as much as someone who parries had to…

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.