Terrain vs. Landscape

• Hello fellow Level Designers!

This is information to all of you out there who use the Terrain tool inside the UDK.

It really breaks my heart when I see that a lot of the current custom maps use Terrain instead of Landscape. The most tutorials out on the web are very dated and suggest you to use the Terrain tool to sculpt your Landscapes. Unfortunately Chivalry doesn’t support Terrain, and screws it up quite a bit. You probably noticed that when using Alt+Tab for example.

No reason to ragequit map making now though, because there is still the Landscape tool!
    It is a bit harder to use at first, but has a lot of advantages over the Terrain tool. Mainly the flexibility of editing your various Materials, but there’s much more!

Here’s a very good introduction to the Landscape tool and Texture Painting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kw3hPiDPWc

Oh and before I forget! Devs of Torn Banner, it would be really helpful if you could include something along the lines of this into your SDK Wiki, because most people will head there first when they start out. :)

EDIT: Probably should’ve posted that in the General Ideas & SDK Chat…sorry

• Good point. I will look into integrating that into the SDK documentation. It is something Epic kind of neglects to mention as well in the UDN documentation.

• I just converted my terrain to landscape and now the ground has no longer collision lol and no matter what i set the collision to it just wont apply :o

yeah this broke the ground for me completely, some spots have collisions and some dont wtf

• Converting it is wonky last time I checked. I would recommend creating a new landscape, as painful as that sounds. Terrain is something we can’t remove from the Engine unfortunately. One of the fun quirks of UDK legacy items.

Landscapes take more time to setup, but are much more versatile, and will give you better control on your foliage, likely fixing the “neon grass.”

• Yeah i will make a landscape from scratch as my very last update since it takes quite a while to do and some stuff need hotfixing

Can you recommend me some landscape sizes so everything will work well? ive heard some wierd storys about big landscapes not working properly

• Epic provides optimal sizes in their documentation:

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/LandscapeCreating.html

2017x2017 is a decent starting point. You can always add more components later.

• Converting wasn’t too hard for me, it took a few goes but it was a hell of a lot easier than rebuilding the ground from scratch.

The bit it messed up for me was materials, but deleting and re-adding them wasn’t too hard.

• Developer

@Andrew:

Terrain is something we can’t remove from the Engine unfortunately. One of the fun quirks of UDK legacy items.

We can disable the option to create a new terrain in the cooked editor though, to prevent this confusion from arising again. I’ll JIRA it.

• hell no, im too lazy to make a new landscape :D

• Converting worked for me but had some issues before though.

• @Andrew:

Converting it is wonky last time I checked. I would recommend creating a new landscape, as painful as that sounds. Terrain is something we can’t remove from the Engine unfortunately. One of the fun quirks of UDK legacy items.

Landscapes take more time to setup, but are much more versatile, and will give you better control on your foliage, likely fixing the “neon grass.”

AHHHHH

I converted… Materials… ok it took me a lot of effort… but ok I will do materials again

but 7000 things are aligned excatly to pixel somewhere no, NO WAY doing new landscape

colllsions are weird
    when I fall on really steep mounatin I “glue” sometimes to cliff liek spiderman :D
    and also when I go just with camera in spectator mode it’s just weird…

but what is real problem are quite significant lags / rather freezes
    which occured after conversion from terrain (I thought conversion will even enhance performance as it should be optimised better or whatnot)

yeah am the very sad guy who learnt from dated tutorial :(

@CrustaceanSoup:

We can disable the option to create a new terrain in the cooked editor though, to prevent this confusion from arising again. I’ll JIRA it.

I’ve added terrain to world via Content Browser-Actor Classes,
    if would be possible to disable also this
    future generations would be happy I think :)

omg I was so proud of me when I found a way how to add terrain cuz in menu options I could find it,
    now I see why and I see how dumb I was xD

my idea is to export and then import height map and pray to gods
    worst thing is that I can’t stick with old terain cuz copying doesnt work in terain (or at least I don’t know how)
    and I need Gizmo for copy pasting one part…
    even dat Gizmo is not 100% sadly, it copies just aproximetly ahh jaaaj :D

any good solution for terrain -> landscape issues ? (create new landscape is not good solution :p)