PLEASE: Remove aiming time limit with bows already!

• All 3 bows for the archer have that annoying nuisance that’s just guaranteed to screw up a lot of ‘perfect’ opportunities.

To me at least, it happens far too often that RIGHT when you want to fire a perfect shot with the Warbow, the bow just drops down and I have to redraw the whole arrow again with my enemy probably already being out of the line of fire in the meantime.

Why do the bows even have this? There’s no stamina drain indicating the pressure of the bow’s weight on your arms. It’s not like holding a bow fully drawn is that much heavier than holding a heavy crossbow up. Why is this even in the game? To me, this feels like that ONE thing that, if removed, makes bows perfectly balanced in comparison to the crossbows again. Or at least makes the Warbow a viable option over the Heavy Xbow again.

Poll included, so go nuts.

Edit: Most of you probably already “hate”(although hate is a big word) archers but I don’t feel like this gives them a major buff.
    It just removes the unnecessary ‘feature’ of aiming time limits.
    Archer melee is an entirely different discussion so let’s try to keep this topic focused on the 3 bows as much as possible.

• But…Warbow is much more viable than xbows to the point that it’s absurd.

• @Karasu:

But…Warbow is much more viable than xbows to the point that it’s absurd.

Why would you think so?
    Crossbow can be “drawn” whenever you’re in a safe place, can be held up for unlimited durations and can carry more ammo.

(BTW: damn, you’re quick.)

• No.
    /10chars

• If it’s warbow vs. xbow then the xbow wins. But warbow is the better choice overall because of the rate of fire. You can just do much more damage. There’s a reason why it’s 95 percent of all competitive archers’ first choice (I can only speak for NA).

Edit: I’m just burning time until breakfast opens up in 20 minutes :P

• definitely NOT.

I like the suggestion of each arrow being drawn to drain stamina, and keep the current drawtime as is. Unlimited hold on bows would be silly and buff archers even further which they DO NOT NEED. They need to be hit with a nerf bazooka.

http://citizenthymes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/nerf-bazooka.jpg

• Hmmm, I’m still really liking that suggestion about drawing bows costing stamina.

If you made the values different for the three bows too, it might help things like longbow and shortbow be more viable in certain situations and definitely might help even out the DPS.

• But then again archering is already easy. Imo it’s a skill to know how long you can aim until your bow drops down.

• Well why not have both? Make it a little like shield block, where you can raise for a quick block, or hold it indefinitely whilst your stamina whittles away. Just make the drain kick in faster, so the longer you hold it the more stamina you lose, but you can still hold your shot. Also, i like nabsters idea of making the drain different for the varying bows, but what about adding varying cooldown phases to stamina regen kicking in too? Bring back increased reload times, with drain for extended holds for crossbows again and it should balance things out.

• A different level of stamina drain for each bow would be a good idea. Make it so the Warbow, because it’s so much harder to pull, costs more stamina to pull and hold. But since the Shortbow would be rather easy to pull and maintain, make it cost a minimal amount of stamina. Same goes for all the Xbows.

• I’d be for stamina also affecting archering.

• Yeah so if you are aiming for 2-3 seconds it starts draining stamina.

Though it wouldn’t make sense for crossbows. Only bows.

• @lemonater47:

Yeah so if you are aiming for 2-3 seconds it starts draining stamina.

Though it wouldn’t make sense for crossbows. Only bows.

Why is that? You think crossbows weigh as little as a desktop mouse? Think WAY heavier.

• Lol, you should not be able to draw your bow for as long as you want. Archers don’t need anymore buffs.

• @Chimpanzer:

Lol, you should not be able to draw your bow for as long as you want. Archers don’t need anymore buffs.

If they’ve been holding it with the stamina drain active though then all you have to do is force them to choose whether or not they want to die in 1-2 hits, or be stamina stunned and then die in 1-2 hits because they wasted all their stamina trying to get shots off (provided you don’t get shot before closing the distance.)

• @Chimpanzer:

Lol, you should not be able to draw your bow for as long as you want. Archers don’t need anymore buffs.

inb4 archer buffs in the next patch beta.

But no, seriously, archers went from balanced melee support back in 2012 to disgustingly powerful, team-carrying assholes. Imo, no bow should be able to one shot any melee class except for Warbow one shotting MaA to the head and the Heavy Crossbow should only go as far as one shotting Vanguards. Archers should be long range meat tenderizers, not snipers.

• @Rickvs:

It’s not like holding a bow fully drawn is that much heavier than holding a heavy crossbow up.

If you are talking about real life then actually holding the bow back full drawn is difficult and bad technique at least for traditional high poundage bows. A hunting bow (for anything other than birds and rabbits) would be at least 50 pounds if not more and a war bow could be over 100 pounds. Good technique is to draw the bow and shoot all in one movement because if you hold the bow back fully drawn your arm will start to shake the longer you hold it, ruining your aim.

As far as the game goes I suggested stamina drain for bows over a year ago and still think it’s a good idea, just like holding up a shield gives you a few seconds of free time and then the drain starts. More powerful bows would drain stamina more quickly than lighter ones.

Crossbows obviously wouldn’t have that problem but should probably have their reload times increased.

• holy shit another thread turned into realism discussion

• @rumpelstiltskin:

holy shit another thread turned into realism discussion

In the fucking balance section. Hold me Rump

• @rumpelstiltskin:

holy shit another thread turned into realism discussion@Karasu:

In the fucking balance section. Hold me Rump

Can you guys even fucking read?

I replied to the OP who made a comment about realism and then proceeded to talk about gameplay. Next time read the bloody post instead of just spam reply with two comments that add nothing to the conversation.