Chivalry server on a NUC?

• Hello!

Since I will soon be accessing an fiber connection (200/50M), I’m seriously thinking about assembling a little home chiv server for my team. (one of the most loved french team, you probably heard of them :apthy: )

I can have a quite pretty nice price on a not-so-old Intel NUC (having a sandy bridge 2core/4threads core i3 @ 1.8GHz) (around 150€).

With a decent amount of RAM, how many players do you think it could hold before breaking down, if it is a decent option at all?

• @nightbringer57:

Hello!

Since I will soon be accessing an fiber connection (200/50M), I’m seriously thinking about assembling a little home chiv server for my team. (one of the most loved french team, you probably heard of them :apthy: )

I can have a quite pretty nice price on a not-so-old Intel NUC (having a sandy bridge 2core/4threads core i3 @ 1.8GHz) (around 150€).

With a decent amount of RAM, how many players do you think it could hold before breaking down, if it is a decent option at all?

I fear the 1.8ghz won’t be nearly enough. Chiv is singlethreaded so it requires a high clock. I tried running it on a slightly older quadcore 2.6-2.8ghz and it buckled at 12-16 slots. and Chiv server hardly uses RAM, it does not go over 200mb, usually hangs somewhere between 120-150

• OK.

Do you know if the perf is CPU cache-dependant ?

• I haven’t checked on cache actually. I only really checked clockspeed. I will see if I can check cache n whatnot.

• A perf trace seemed to imply that it was the clock cycles rather than cpu cache size that makes the difference. caveat: Although I’ve only a few physical cpu’s of different types/cache sizes to play with and checking against tinkered with VM’s I suspect is misleading