Rapier

• I’m curious if TB has any plans on making more weapons, and yeah yeah “we need to balance the current ones first”. I’m just hoping for something more and throwing an idea out there even though rapiers have been brought up before. I also haven’t really thought this through extensively haha. I’ve been burned out on Chiv lately and would love some new content, but most people would rather have new maps than weapons, I think…

This https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r7VWIQCHvM inspired me to make this thread.

The rapier would be a primary for maa and secondary for knight(maybe vanguard too), and it would act like a vanguard spear(could even use spear animations* if you wanted I suppose, like halfswording in the Mana Warfare mod). So, it would have a quick high stab, slow powerful thrust, and a very quick, weak slash. It should be the maa’s longest weapon being somewhere between broadsword and longsword/sow. I’m not sure if it should combo, since stab combos are pretty crazy as evidenced by DW… My version of the rapier wouldn’t combo, and to make up for that it would do a lot of piercing damage, which would make it a great weapon against vanguards.

Anyways…here’s some very limited stats for it:
    Slash = .3-.35 windup, 20-30 cut damage(cut is the weakest, right?)
    Thrust(overhead) = .45-.5 windup, 65-70 pierce damage
    Stab = .35-.4 windup, 45-50 pierce damage

*while removing the 2handing in the animation haha

I’d love to hear more ideas. I’m gonna regret this.

Edit: It would be awesome if it had a unique parry animation!

• Wasn’t a medieval sword. And wasn’t used for battle for a reason.

Its far outclassed by every other weapon. In every way. Not to mention it would snap.

• Why do people keep arguing for realism in this game? “Wasn’t a medieval sword.” Haven’t people already said this game combines stuff from many different periods? I know it’s a dueling weapon, why should we exclude it simply because of that? “Its far outclassed by every other weapon.” In the video, the longsword seems to be having quite a bit a trouble against the rapier. “Not to mention it would snap.” It’s more likely to bend a lot.

• And if it would still bent useless.

It was also used more for show than for dueling. Those stats are too good for what it is. They make it better than the short sword and sabre.

• I’ve suggested this before, but the majority of the people in this community value real authentic medieval weapons, so I can respect that.

• @lemonater47:

Those stats are too good for what it is. They make it better than the short sword and sabre.

That’s why I wanted to see more ideas. I came up with those stats purely on memory of maa 1h windups and damage. I certainly hope it’s better than the short sword and sabre, since those are secondaries and this is a primary.

• @SOC:

I’ve suggested this before, but the majority of the people in this community value real authentic medieval weapons, so I can respect that.

Any other ideas for new weapons, then? :o

• Two handed flail, Two handed sling, Svärdstav, Voulge, spiked staff, heavy staff.

• @lemonater47:

Two handed flail, Two handed sling, spiked staff, heavy staff.

Instead of the spiked staff, why not a short spear for maa like Sharantil suggested a really long time ago? I’d be down for 2h flail and sling. I didn’t realize 2h sling was a thing though. I’m worried those polearms would be too similar to the current spears and polearms though.

• tl;dr: Rapier would break when parrying big weps and is very weak overall

• Any other ideas for new weapons, then? :o

Harquebus.

• @lemonater47:

Two handed flail … Voulge

Yes please

• @Ranulf:

Instead of the spiked staff, why not a short spear for maa like Sharantil suggested a really long time ago? I’d be down for 2h flail and sling. I didn’t realize 2h sling was a thing though. I’m worried those polearms would be too similar to the current spears and polearms though.

Two handed sling is a thing and its awesome. One of the longest ranged infantry weapons of the time easily firing up to 500m. Very accurate in trained hands as well. Originally a peasant weapon. In fact most polearms and the flail were originally peasant weapons. The two handed flail was a peasant weapon that allowed generally weaker and low or no armoured peasants to kill heavy armoured and stronger (better diet and stuff) knights. Early polearms were peasant weapons used for taking down horsemen or taking the limbs off anyone who didn’t have armour there which at the time of the tie of polearms most people didn’t. Like the Dacians falx against the Romans. Romans didn’t have arm or leg armour and the falx was brilliant at claiming limbs even going right through their plate armour. It caused the Romans to wear greaves like the Greeks and adopt the Manica which was arm armour used by gladiators to protect their sword arm. Their other arm being behind a shield.

I’m also a little worried about polearms being too similar. But you can always play around with the length of the weapon as well as the damage and speed.

I was also thinking of the Polehammer but using the other side. Its a big pick. The Polehammer is actually the Bec du cobain (think that’s the spelling I think). It was used both ways using the pick and the hammer side. They could make a pole pick sorta thing. Military fighting picks were often one handed and used by horses. Two handed picks usually had a blunt or sharp bit as well.

I saw a spiked staff at a reenactment I went to. This guy had a collection of staff weapons and this spiked one is actually a modification of his own. But who’s to say they didn’t do that back in the medieval period. He also had one with two mace heads on either end. The problem wit a staff weapon is that its difficult to parry attacks and can be chopped on half because of the way its fought with though the fighting style is very effective on the attack.

• @Pungvarg:

tl;dr: Rapier would break when parrying big weps and is very weak overall

Well, what would happen if a thrusting dagger blocks a maul hit?

• @Stuffy:

The maul user gets shanked to death. Duh.

• @Stuffy:

It’s not a block. It’s a parry.

Inb4 lemon.

• A keyblade.

• scimitar > rapier

• Rapiers aren’t weak!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6r7VWIQCHvM

Not useful against a knight, and only really a stab against vanguards would have any use, but they’d be devastating with their range and speed against man at arms and archers.

They were renaissance weapons anyway, and wouldn’t fit in chivalry.

• An estoc could be used similarly to a rapier, and it would be more fitting for this game.