Recovery Time

• I’ve noticed that when people swing their weapon and whiff, there is no way to really rush in and punish them anymore. Spam RMB and you are unhittable unless someone uses a jump stab or gets on your side. (I don’t mean literally unhittable, just hard as hell to hit) Why isn’t there any drawback to spamming attacks aside from being instantly counter attacked from a parry? I’m all about the maul, but I feel like if I miss with it, I should have a penalty to my parrying ability for a short time.

• @Slaughtervomit:

I’ve noticed that when people swing their weapon and whiff, there is no way to really rush in and punish them anymore. Spam RMB and you are unhittable unless someone uses a jump stab or gets on your side. (I don’t mean literally unhittable, just hard as hell to hit) Why isn’t there any drawback to spamming attacks aside from being instantly counter attacked from a parry? I’m all about the maul, but I feel like if I miss with it, I should have a penalty to my parrying ability for a short time.

Have you played the latest beta build? Pretty sure parry in recovery is gone, with CFtP and PiP in its place. So yeah, missing swings is punishable again.

• What you’re describing is called “panic parry” and is being removed and replaced with CFtP in the latest beta patch.

• Not sure how long you’ve been away SlaughterVomit but in the current version of Chivalry there is something called “parry in recovery”.

It’s soon to be removed however.

• I’ve been gone for quite some time. Recently been playing and noticed this. So that is “panic parry”? Yeah it’s crap. Thanks for the replies!

(Maybe I should play the beta once in a while)

• Panic parry allows you to parry in recovery costing 25 stamina.

• Cant wait to start punishing whiffs on the average joes again. Dunno if it equates to a ‘style’ but, I remember I always used to be trying to land hits that way, then I had to completely change up my approach. Cannot wait for this new patch to go through.

• I’m so glad you haven’t had to spend the past half year dealing with recovery parry.

• ‘panic parry’ is not fully removed. You guys have to understand that there were 2 things added to the game.

1.) combo parry
    2.) recovery parry

RECOVERY parry portion is being removed, however combo parry is still in. Combo parry is the more used parry where it still looks like someone is swinging when they parry. It’s effectively the ‘new’ combo feint to parry in the LIVE version. Unless someone does a single strike and waits until the recovery portion, they can still do that fast parry when you’re attempting to punish them. Only people that don’t know to parry quickly will get punished, which is practically no one.

And in between actual combos, you can certainly hit them, but it depends on the weapon and how they swing it. Flinch during release is a big problem with this too, because ordinarily a lot of those attacks SHOULD at least hit trade, but they don’t and you end up getting flinched out by their combo’d attack.

Most 1 handers will get the flinch, daggars CERTAINLY will (and another issue with daggars is their reach now seems a little stupid for what they are)

• I hate that they aren’t removing combo parry. It’s so easily abused with fast weapons to avoid hit trade.

• Thats not easy (tried and failed most of the time) but it gives some additional value to shields (combo block can be quite effective but its not that easy to perform right). But in theory it could perform well against delayed strikes.

The downside is being at the mercy of your enemy - combo parry is very vulnerable to feints. I think* it adds some interesting options.

*Since beta testing. I really disliked combo parry before but also having CFtP for more reliable but expensive combat helps.

• combo parry is just stupid because the animation still shows the swing half the time when the parry comes up instantly. It also removes the whole punishment still for missing strikes so it seems like the whole range game will still not be as good.

I’ll make that compromise though as long as CFTP comes back ;)

PiP will be a good addition too, maybe you’ll actually be able to do something against the double maa poke flurry.

• The problem with punishing a wiff is that there are so many ghost swings and stabs so not only do you get punished for the “wiff” if it is indeed a ghost attack then you get punished by a hit.

They really need to be working on fully improving this problem with the hit detection. I blame Obama, then the bubble. But I am sure the net code could still use more pruning. OF course fixing the high ping kicker would also do wonders. I have been called the Ping police because I vote kick anyone with 110 ping or higher. Sadly too many noobs just don understand how horrible this game deals with high ping.

• people that want others punished in a game should be punished in real life.

one day you will realize free hits wont make you any better of players but just an exploiter of a faulty combat system to begin with.

you wanna punish me?

kill me in the game that’s your reward, geez.

• @WARSAW:

people that want others punished in a game should be punished in real life.

one day you will realize free hits wont make you any better of players but just an exploiter of a faulty combat system to begin with.

you wanna punish me?

kill me in the game that’s your reward, geez.

• WARSAW SO CLEVAR. PUNISHING WHIFFS IS EXPLOIT.

Why do you even post about gameplay and balance mechanics, you just disappear into your sweaty, casual MMM server and never come out. Its not like you play the live build of the game to even have an opinion on it.

And you’re dumb. Exceptionally dumb.

• says the guy named turd and a server named the toilet and you know what for brains.

and the only thing casual is what you guys have gotten done to the base game, is about as casual as it gets with all the nerfs you people whine for.

one day when you’ve killed the game you will look back and go dam,
    warsaw was right we ruined what little epicness was left in chivalry with all our uncompetitive, exploitable nerfs.

you are all still blind to the fact that the flinch was the main problem 8 months ago, and almost nothing else.
    but you got the entire game ruined because your too blind to see that it was the flinch and dam near nothing else.

its ok though we shall be modding that to what it should be very soon, so have fun with what your left with.

• I am assure you that I and everyone else, will never be in the position that we look back on these times and say “WARSAW was right”.

On anything.

Ever.

• WARSAW is the equivalent of a really, really dumb elitist pubber.

• Yes, one day I will look back and say: “Oh boy, I really wish archers could dodge, have even more backstab damage, more armor and 100 ammo with faster firing rate. I also wish that vanguard swords were smaller so that these high skill class player can shoot in peace. Why did we not listen to the prophet WARSAW from the holy land of Nunya? Epic hardcore action, that’s what it is called. Knights sure need some nerfing.”

I am sure it will happen one day. No doubt.