Autobalance

• I think most people know this: You join a TO game and complete an objective, cut through your enemies with the help of your team, do the next objective and charge for the final one. Then an Archer shoots your head - and you wake up in the enemy teams spawn just as your remaining mates complete the objective.

This autobalance is annyoing - and for some reason it loves to balance those guys who did the most objectives. Time to change that! I suggest the following:

(1) Upon joining a team each player gets 100 “balance points” (BP).
    (2) For each minute in game a player gets -1 BP.
    (3) For each kill or assist a player gets -1 BP.
    (4) For each teamkill a player gets +2 BP.
    (5) For completing an objective a player gets -20 BP.
    (6) For each steam friend in the own team a player gets -10 BP.
    (7) For each steam friend in the enemy team a player gets +10 BP.
    (8) When a player gets score for helping to complete an objective he gets -1 BP.
    (9) Minimum BP are 0 (there are no negative values).

So what happens when the teams get unbalanced? The player with the highest amount of BP gets switched.

This can be expanded by adding an option for players to select:
    (a) “Mason supporter”: +20 BP when playing for Agatha, -20 BP when playing for Mason
    (b) “Agatha Knight”: the other way around
    © “Mercenary”: always +20 BP but steam friends give double BP (positive and negative)
    (d) “Loyalist”: -20 BP and steam friends don’t give any BP
    and the standard version from above of course.

• This just happened to me yesterday. Stoneshill. 3 archers on Mason. We’re picking off all the filthy peasants with heavy crossbows and I run in to start chucking torches. After some successful raping and pillaging, I got spamgaurded and suddenly I’m on Agatha.

Played some DW.

• It was much simpler when it would switch the last person to join the server on a particular team. Made a post about this about a week ago. I think they wanted to get rid of being switched while alive. All they did was make everyone upset as a result.

• It happens to me all the time as I have always been an objective whore. I have been balanced 3 times in a single map on many occasions. Yeah it gets old. But the OP has put an over complicated math problem into what should be a more simple solution.

I believe the devs simply coded auto balance to kick over the highest score player. I believe that the reason seems pretty simple. It is because if a team is getting their ass handed to them and players are rage quitting, the best way for balance is to move the best player over. While it annoys the shit out of me specially after doing most of the work it kind of makes sense to move the strongest player over to give the shorter team a chance.

• @sharkh20:

It was much simpler when it would switch the last person to join the server on a particular team. Made a post about this about a week ago. I think they wanted to get rid of being switched while alive. All they did was make everyone upset as a result.

yeah they could still do something like switch the last person to join, but just do it on death.

• @Retsnom:

It happens to me all the time as I have always been an objective whore. I have been balanced 3 times in a single map on many occasions. Yeah it gets old. But the OP has put an over complicated math problem into what should be a more simple solution.

Same Thing Happened me also. I had that 4 times in a single map. I’d understand if it’s dynamic game difficulty balancing but this is a simple thing. I don’t know what kind of algorithm they’re using for balancing. This needs to be fixed for sure.

• Their algorithm is completely fucked. If I get moved over when I am doing all the objectives for my team, I move back right away. Completely unfair and stupid.

• The person who gets moved is the first one to die. . . Lets say that agatha got 12 people meanwhile mason got 10, the first agathian that dies gets balanced to mason, doesn’t matter if he’s new or not. This is stupid and sometimes you can get balanced 4-5 times because of this, if you try to switch teams it counts as a death and you might be balanced back to the team you tried to switch from.

Minions suggestion is great appart from the friend thingy, sometimes I want to play against my friends becaue the teams would be to unbalanced, not the amount of people, but the amountof good people. Sometimes like this friday I had 8 friends on the same server and I can hardly be on the same team as all of them. I do get the point though, obviously if you only got one friend on you might want to be on the same team as them.

• @Retsnom:

But the OP has put an over complicated math problem into what should be a more simple solution.

This isn’t really complicated (let alone “overcomplicated”). Its a simple scoring system thats works like a modified LIFO queue (last in first out - which would be one of the simplest solutions).

The idea is to switch people depending on their readiness to get switched. Somebody who did a lot of work for his team should have a lower probability of getting autobalanced while one who has all of his friends on the other side might be a good candidate.

The options I listed below would help with the issue Xylvion brought up. You want to play with your friends the side being secondary? Select “Mercenary”. You don’t want your friends to get you switched? Select “Loyalist”.

• Or TBS could just take a look at what NS2 does for team balance. It’s probably the best system I’ve seen. Well, I like it a lot at least.

The basic idea is that nobody gets team swapped if they don’t want to, but the game will make them sit around for longer until somebody on their team dies so they can take their place. Eventually somebody who doesn’t really mind will swap teams so he can get straight back in the game.

• With the new addition of ping kicks autobalance isn’t as much of a problem. A problem was all the high ping players joined one team and when they all got kicked of with votekicks and admins the game would auto balance.

Now they only et to play for a few seconds before they get kicked so the teams are more Balanced.

• Not sure why the topic is suddenly derailing because IMO this idea for autobalance is pretty damn good.
    Especially the -20 points for doing an objective.

• Last team joiner swapped would be simple and easy.

And with the ping kick autobalance happens less often. And they don’t stay in the game for ages so they don’t get votekicked part way through which could unbalance the teams. I really hate it when you are up against team Lagatha. But if you kick all of them people are gonna get auto balanced and complain. Now with the ping kick no one has to deal with that.

• @lemonater47:

Last team joiner swapped would be simple and easy.

And it doesn’t take into account a lot of things a marginally more complex system does.

Lets say 20 people play on a server. When the game starts Pete joins Agatha while his buddies end up as Masons. John is happy to be able to play with his friends - also as a member of Agatha. Together they are quite effective at pushing the objective. Too bad after 10 minutes two Mason guys leave - an opportunity Pete has waited for. But autobalance kicks in - and switches John who just happened to join last.

• Autobalance has some weird switcheroos going on. I am playing against some high rank players when suddenly: “You will be switched to the other team.” What does a loyal teammate do? Not switching of course.

But for some reason the guys I just played against are now in my team (I prevented getting switched). It also seems like the probability of getting switched increases when doing well. And especially if you don’t want to get switched (preventing a previous switch seems to make you prime target for the next).

• ^Nope, jsut the person on a team that dies first when autobalance is needed, that’s why if you try to switch team you might get balanced back right after, causing you to lose 10 points for “suiciding” still being stuck on the same team.

• To clarify: I did indeed prevent the switch from happening or at least switched back - I ended up in my previous team. But the guys I were fighting at the objectives before were also there.

• Playing any map where last objective is Defend the King. Am 40-11. Have 500+ points. Best player on attacking team has 700 points because he’s doing so many objectives. Three minutes left, looks like attackers will smash the gate/doors in and I’ll be king. Best opposing player switches to my team because of his obj points he can be king. I get switched to his old team because I’m the highest on my team and that’s who always gets switched. So much rage. OP has good solution. Also, DO NOT LET PEOPLE SWITCH if it will make an imbalance happen. If it’s 12v12, just don’t allow team switches, it’s that simple. If 11v10, don’t allow joining players to join the team that has more. Red Orchestra figured that out, it shouldn’t be too hard.

• @Oy:

Played some DW.

huehuehuehue