Should I bother trying to get my friends to play?

• I bought the game at the infamous steam summer sale and have about 170 hours in so far. I’ve reached a weird point where it’s like I hit a wall on trying to get better and in fact I feel like I’m backsliding a bit. I’ve mostly played on TO or Classic rotation but it seems like the best way to build up on the melee fundamentals is dueling. Team based modes tend to lead to more kill stealing which gives a false impression on progression and FFA is too chaotic and has the same problem. I’d rather duel people I know both to avoid all the silly secret rules that so many people seem to have and to do more organized practice and experimentation for things like ducking and matrixing and feint reading.

So here are my questions:

1. How long did it take ya’ll to get good by whatever metric you can consider “good” to be so I can have some perspective on how far along I am.

2. I’ve heard rumors that Torn Banner may be prepping up a Chiv 2 or at least re-implementing pre-summer patch changes for things like CFtP. How much will the game change at this point? Will it be like having to learn everything all over? So is it worth trying now or should I wait until further news drops?

3. How much life do you think Chivalry has left in it, honestly? I’m getting some Monday Night combat style vibes but it’s just a feeling and not anything I can articulate definitely.

4. What’s the best way to try to ease them in? To be honest I think they are scared poopless because of how much I tease them on other games like TF2 and I have such an advantage over them in man on man action here. Something like Spear Vanguard in TO? Or try teaching them in an empty server?

Thanks in advance.

• Probably not, they’d need a large time investment to play decently and chiv really doesn’t have much life left, like maybe there might be some new TO in the next 6 months

• 1. It took a long time for me. A few months maybe. And during that whole time I was dueling in Classic Duel servers and I constantly got my ass kicked.

2. First of all, I haven’t heard anything about a Chiv 2 and I doubt that will happen. But, it’s true, CFtP is returning and a new mechanic, PiP (parry into parry) is also making an appearance. You can test how this will affect your playstyle on Chivalry Beta. Definitely keep playing.

3. Honestly, I don’t feel an end coming, at least not as dramatically as a lot of people seem to think. Of course at some point, Chvialry will die, but really, the way I keep it going on for me is by sticking to what I like best (dueling people I like in classic duel servers).

4. If you’re inviting a group of friends, I would bring them to a normal official TDM or TO server. Suggest the Vanguard class along with a polearm or something where they can keep their distance and not die immediately.

Good luck!

• 1. How long did it take ya’ll to get good by whatever metric you can consider “good” to be so I can have some perspective on how far along I am.

It depends on what you spend your time doing. If you spend 10,000 hours doing nothing but pub server TO games, even with that many hours you’ll not even be close to the level of skill of some players.

The best places to get better at the game are FFA duel servers, not the Duel Mode servers. If you live in NA those would be Lg Duels and Interitus Duels. If you live in EU or AUS I’m not sure. The best players in the game congregate on these FFA duels servers. Dueling them and watching them play is the best way to get better. If you happen to want to get into the competitive scene and join a clan, just ask people. Most competitive players are happy to teach new players as long as you don’t whine about feints or drags. ^_^

2. I’ve heard rumors that Torn Banner may be prepping up a Chiv 2 or at least re-implementing pre-summer patch changes for things like CFtP. How much will the game change at this point? Will it be like having to learn everything all over? So is it worth trying now or should I wait until further news drops?

I don’t know where those Chiv 2 rumors started, but if they were true, Chiv 2 wouldn’t be around for at least another year. And yes they are making some drastic changes in an upcoming patch that will change the game a lot. But you won’t have to learn anything all over, but you will need to adapt and pick up some new playstyles. Read everything in this thread. http://forums.tornbanner.com/showthread.php/18447-BETA-Chivalry-Medieval-Warfare-CU-2-Patch-4 That’ll give you all the information you need on the upcoming patch.

3. How much life do you think Chivalry has left in it, honestly? I’m getting some Monday Night combat style vibes but it’s just a feeling and not anything I can articulate definitely.

If TB keep it up with the awesome communication, and listening to their GOOD playerbase, and not random pubbers with 10 hours in the game, then the game will have a lot of life left in it. This new patch is a very good start, but if they can’t keep it up then it is possible the game could die. But I have faith in them, and for now the game has plenty of life.

4. What’s the best way to try to ease them in? To be honest I think they are scared poopless because of how much I tease them on other games like TF2 and I have such an advantage over them in man on man action here. Something like Spear Vanguard in TO? Or try teaching them in an empty server?

Well it depends on how your friends want to play the game. If they just want to waste 20 hours spamming LMB in TO servers then there’s no point in really easing them in. But if they actually want to get better at the game, and try to reach a level like mine, then they’ll have to spend a lot of time dueling against the top players in the FFA duel servers.

I wouldn’t recommend “easing” them in. Just tell them to hop in the FFA duel servers with you and duel the good players. It’ll be rough at first, but it’ll pay off in the long run.

• @UseSwordOnMan:

1. How long did it take ya’ll to get good by whatever metric you can consider “good” to be so I can have some perspective on how far along I am.

It’s a hard question to ask many of us, because we’ve been around since the closed beta. We spent thousands of hours discovering the stuff you learned to do in 5 minutes.

@UseSwordOnMan:

There’s been no talk of Chiv 2. Yes, the next patch will completely change the game and you’ll have to re-learn everything all over. It would be best to have them wait for that patch, so they don’t learn bad habits like getting comfortable with recovery parry.

@UseSwordOnMan:

It has a ton of life left in it, especially with the next patch going back to making the game better and with them talking about adding more official content, and official custom map servers. The huge discussions about balance are going to keep the game moving in a better direction too, since Torn Banner is now communicating and listening to us. They’re also doing very well at patching without breaking more things, and are actually fixing really bad bugs. The game will be in a better spot than it ever has been, soon. The Steam sales will hold on to a lot of new blood unlike many of the previous ones because things like ranking up and weapon unlocks actually work now.

@UseSwordOnMan:

Just pubbing TO is the most fun way to get them interested. Have them do the tutorial, and tell them how it looks easy on the surface but the game is full of huge depth and they’ll get wrecked for a long time as they learn. It’s normal to get stomped when you’re new, make sure they know that. I went 3-35 all my first matches of the game, and I was proud of those 3 kills. Watch how they fight, have them ask questions and give them tips. Encourage their good plays and encourage them to try many classes and weapons. Vanguard greatsword is a perfect brand new starting class IMO, and teach them not to LMB in team fights. Consider the rank 0-25 servers, too. But it’s best to have them join during a sale so they can play alongside of other new players instead of against many rank 30s-50s that are mostly playing right now.

• Game still has life in it at peak times you can still find many full servers.

Again vanguard class is easy. Though one of my friends picked up MAA, jumped into an FFA game that was a minute through and wins ranking up twice first go. Before MAA was OP.

TO is probably the best way to go for easing them in FFA can be very hostile with votekicks flying around and views of hax. LTS can be boring for new players and TDM can confuse some. Capture the flag is often unbalanced and king of the hill is LMB spamming madness.

Though the community varies region to region. NA is apparently the most hostile and horrible according to the stories. Stuff like that never happens in oceanic servers. I don’t know about EU.

Best wait for a steam sale. Ther will be a bunch of other new players for them To murder instead of doing 3-24. Though some people when they start aren’t bad.

FFA duels and even normal FFA servers are great places to get better.

• agree with SOC, won’t take nearly as long as it took a lot of the veteran players because most things have been done and figured out, more tutorials on how all this works and is implemented are done. There are still a lot of footwork and dragging techniques and uses of weapons that vets know though i guess that keep them ahead of the curve because it just comes down to experience there and quick reaction.

Definitely get your friends in, I’m still hoping the game gets patched soon bringing back some of the more competitive higher skill ceiling gameplay that we once had a lot more of.

• Thank you all for the responses.

I got one to promise to install it. His tryhard 6v6 demoman is over at the moment so we’ll see if he follows through. Over 30 of the buggers bought it but I’m the only one still on.

I had good ping at the Interitus place but no one was there while I was playing. How tolerant is that kind of place for people who are new/terrible? I don’t mind the ritualistic post mortem desecration and t-bagging that can occur on the official Torn Banner duel servers, although it is kind of annoying to have been killed by someone being particularly immature (spamming slurs in chat or whatever), but this guy can get really butthurt with his pride.

• @UseSwordOnMan:

Thank you all for the responses.

I got one to promise to install it. His tryhard 6v6 demoman is over at the moment so we’ll see if he follows through. Over 30 of the buggers bought it but I’m the only one still on.

I had good ping at the Interitus place but no one was there while I was playing. How tolerant is that kind of place for people who are new/terrible? I don’t mind the ritualistic post mortem desecration and t-bagging that can occur on the official Torn Banner duel servers, although it is kind of annoying to have been killed by someone being particularly immature (spamming slurs in chat or whatever), but this guy can get really butthurt with his pride.

Yeah, Interitus Duels wasn’t populated at all today. People seem to go back and forth between there and Lg Duels, which is the same thing, just on a custom map instead of Moor.

As long as you don’t random people, and don’t whine about anything in chat the players will treat you fine, especially if you actively try to get better.

• still an amazing game, so definetly

• Im rediscovering my like for this game again in anticipation of upcoming changes for sure.

• @lemonater47:

Before MAA was OP.

Is this from a parallel timeline or something?

• As others have stated, classic duels servers are your best bet to getting good. I’ve played over a thousand hours but almost all of that was in official TO servers. I recently started joining classic duels (and also did a little while ago, for a short time) and there are people with much lower rank better than me, or at least even.