Just some stats before the patch

• Here are some stats that I’ve been collecting from my servers since 2014-02-09 22:37:57.
    Let’s see how this patch affects that.

EDIT: http://www.chartgo.com/share.do?id=f6ec26dcaa Kills/TK Chart

• People seem to love the Greatsword. Also buff torch!

Can you do <total kills="">/<teamkills>? Should be a better estimate for weapon performance.</teamkills></total>

• Interesting. InB4 chivalry hipsters all go dane axe ;)

A couple of these surprise me, I’d have thought the 1 hand axes and HWS to be higher, I still see quite a lot of them :/

• There’s a bug in chivalry RCON that kills with Sword+shield and Enviromentals (Catapult, Balista, etc) does not report the weapon that was used to kill the opponent.

• Remember this is only from his servers.

• It looks like fists aren’t on your list?

• Lol at Sword of War being less for kills than firepots on that server.

• @Toll:

Lol at Sword of War being less for kills than firepots on that server.

As I said, that’s probably the RCON bug, don’t really expect it to be fixed since the RCON is not really a popular item. (It was really badly implemented IMHO, the protocol breaks completely in some cases (packet > MTU) , only one connection allowed and no query command to get the actual stats in case you connect after the start of the map).

And the Sword of War is near the halberd in the graph, that at the bottom is a weird outlier that happened once.

• Ahh , so I see now. That is a shame it would have been quite the spectacle.

• Nerf everything on top, buff everything at the bottom.

Torch to deal splash damage with the effect similar to tar, direct hit to cause instant death.
    HWS +800% size increase
    Flail to have alternate stab that tosses the buckler forth, just like in DW except now you have 9 extras.

• Now seriously, how exactly does a torch set a man on fire? They say man is 70% water, were medieval men 70% ethanol or what?

• @Martys:

Now seriously, how exactly does a torch set a man on fire? They say man is 70% water, were medieval men 70% ethanol or what?

The top of the torch is covered in oil… throw it at someone, it sticks and burnnnnnssssss them :D Plus all those medieval polyester fibers used to create those hot pink MAA’s running round these days…

• @Martys:

Nerf everything on top, buff everything at the bottom.

Those statistics merely show the popularity of the weapons. The server was probably a pub - here you can only say that unpopular weapons might need a buff.

Thats why I asked for Kills/TK - its a bit better as an estimate for weapon strength because weapons picked more often also tend to tk more often. Thats still not quite a good one because some weapons (e.g. Bardiche) just naturally teamkill more often than others (e.g. Thrusting Dagger).

For true weapon performance you need competitive picked/won stats - and even those tend to be noisy.

• @Evil:

Those statistics merely show the popularity of the weapons. The server was probably a pub - here you can only say that unpopular weapons might need a buff.

Thats why I asked for Kills/TK - its a bit better as an estimate for weapon strength because weapons picked more often also tend to tk more often. Thats still not quite a good one because some weapons (e.g. Bardiche) just naturally teamkill more often than others (e.g. Thrusting Dagger).

For true weapon performance you need competitive picked/won stats - and even those tend to be noisy.

Yeah It’s a pub server. These numbers are merely to see if the recent patch changes might change the general weapon choices, not really a statistical source for balancing purposes.

Will post an update after the same period has passed to see if something changes. (My guess: it won’t)

• @Evil:

This is also a pretty bad judgement of weapon strength. While getting better, plenty of players choose similar setups to those that are already better. So what you see is a trend of everyone using similar weapons, because at least that way they can never feel like they’re at a disadvantage, even if they wouldn’t be picking another setup.

For example, when duelling and learning to play knight, I chose SoW because because it seemed to work very well for people like crushed (it’s just an example, put your dick back) and I could easily copy and relate to behaviour with the SoW to learn it much more quickly than I could have by venturing into unknown territories and coming up with an entirely new playstyle of my own with a different weapon.

Does no one play dub-axe because it’s really that terrible, or because no one wants to risk wasting their time and their team’s patience by training a weapon that might not have a place in the meta? Unfortunately, Chiv’s competitive scene is nowhere near big enough, with nowhere near enough of a power struggle to force people to experiment and come up with new things.

• I don’t follow anyone else when picking weapons and loadouts, never have for any game. Half the fun is learning it all yourself, to me anyway. I tend to simply pick weapons that work for me for the particular time I’m playing.

Generally I use:

Norse Sword (I find it better than broadsword, the speed, the feints, so lovely).
    SoW if I’m playing knight vs lots of vanguards, longsword if I want more versatility and Messar if I want brute strengthy goodness.
    Greatsword for versatility, claymore if I’m versing lots of vanguards, zeiw if I’m up against lots of noobs (that is like Zombie hoard mode haha).
    When Archer it’s always Short sword.

I ocasioanlly use the other weapons for something different or if a niche strategy is needed.