BETA - Chivalry: Medieval Warfare CU 2 Patch 4 Hotfix 1

• Developer

Coming soon to a Beta near you. Any help testing will be appreciated. Of particular concern are transitions between maps, both Workshop and vanilla, because of SDK-related changes.

Changes

• Potential protection against spawning “ghosts” when players are undergoing seamless transition between Workshop maps
    • Fix loading screen jamming up on the screen when timing out between Workshop map transitions
    • Fix customization not working from frontend
    • Add changelist number to main menu
    • Fix issues where users would all be found to be “beginners” and all get the beginner servers at the top of their browser
    • Fixed sublevel issues causing duplicate meshes in FFA-Moor
    • Because we still don’t have maxsoundnodechildren exposed in GUI: ease GPU memory requirements even more, CPU slightly (3GB users get thrown into bucket 2 instead of bucket 1)
    • Fix crash when trying to extract an empty .cmwsdk file
    • New error message in the WorkshopUploadTool if missing a GUID

Servers

• Start the server with, e.g.

• -sdkfileid=202422398(add as many as you need); when the server starts, it will auto-download the files specified
    • All .cmwsdk files, whether specified with that command line switch or not, are checked for updates (and updated if necessary) when starting the server

• Server valid file verification improved, should automatically delete and bypass invalid .cmwsdk files

• When this goes live - can you please not reset any settings?

• Have not heard of anyone else that has had this problem so far, but on live version I cannot seem to join any servers unless I create my own game. I have to repeat the process if I want to join a different server.

• Developer

@UncleA:

Have not heard of anyone else that has had this problem so far, but on live version I cannot seem to join any servers unless I create my own game. I have to repeat the process if I want to join a different server.

What happens when you try to join a server exactly?

• @CrustaceanSoup:

What happens when you try to join a server exactly?

Either 1 of 2 things, It says you have failed to join the server or it just loads forever

• Given that I don’t use the workshop, the above doesn’t really get me excited… but what does get me excited is the constant patch work that TB is doing. I haven’t found one bug in the last patch. Keep up the good work. Now that the development of DW is out of the way, you guys have been able to focus on improvements - which is awesome. Keep it up.

@Evil - this isn’t the only game that has trouble with patches resetting controls. Games using the unreal engine tend to have this issue. But I agree, it would be nice to see this stop happening. Gosh I was scrimming F last night and I couldn’t throw a firepot (because I hadn’t bound it correctly!)

• Yeah I’m getting you have failed to join the server too. Custom or norm. But joining a second time it works.

Very strange thing when changing maps from a normal map to a custom map is suddenly the massive ping spike. But this ping spike doesn’t happen to everyone. Most people go up to 300 ping while a small few stay down at a normal ping.

And yes people who don’t have the map seem to join the server somehow get assigned a team and spawn. I thought that was the problem then being still connected and all 16 of them downloading the map. But the fact that some people have normal pings is strange and restarting the map as admin fixes that issue.

Thats if you don’t get kicked by the auto ping kick first.

• @Mystikkal:

Given that I don’t use the workshop, the above doesn’t really get me excited… but what does get me excited is the constant patch work that TB is doing. I haven’t found one bug in the last patch. Keep up the good work. Now that the development of DW is out of the way, you guys have been able to focus on improvements - which is awesome. Keep it up.

Lol I know of 3 gamebreaking ones and 2 or 3 hilarious ones all of which are new (I think) :P But regardless, fantastic work by TBS. Makes me really excited about the future.

• 237mb patch just hit the beta. Changelog?

• Developer

@Albert!:

237mb patch just hit the beta. Changelog?

It’s a few fixes to the Workshop downloading/updating, and various level collision fixes. We’ll get a proper changelog before the hotfix goes out. We have an SDK map server up right now and have been cycling maps, restarting it, and doing other things to try to break it. So far we haven’t hit any issues with this build, though there’s one map we found to be a little messed up (we’re talking with the author about it)

• Crusty, when the server changes to a map most people dont have and most people start downloading it slowly, everyone on the server gets 400 ping and leaves

never was this way with the old system

• @CRUSHED:

Crusty, when the server changes to a map most people don’t have and most people start downloading it slowly, everyone on the server gets 400 ping and leaves

Yes this happens even though they all download from steam itself and not through the server.

Also can this patch NOT come out Friday Toronto time. I have the suspicion it will. As everywhere else it tends to be Saturday. Updating servers becomes an issue Saturday not being a work day. That’s the problem with valve. They ALWAYS release big patches for all their bloody games on a Friday.

• Developer

@CRUSHED:

Crusty, when the server changes to a map most people dont have and most people start downloading it slowly, everyone on the server gets 400 ping and leaves

Looking into it. The download itself comes from the Workshop and wouldn’t drag the server down, but there are other things happening around it.

• Developer

@CrustaceanSoup:

Looking into it. The download itself comes from the Workshop and wouldn’t drag the server down, but there are other things happening around it.

Can you log in as an admin, then do showdebug in the console? Then read off the ‘server tick ms’ number that’s displayed. That should not be any higher when people are downloading maps, but if it is then that indicates a CPU bottleneck. Otherwise, if this is happening it may be a network thing.

• Developer

T-T-T-T-T-TRIPLE POST

Also, just for clarity, this is happening to clients who are in the game and have already downloaded the map? Is the game running noticeably worse for them too, not just showing a higher number in the scoreboard?

• Banned for triple posting.

• @CrustaceanSoup:

T-T-T-T-T-TRIPLE POST

Also, just for clarity, this is happening to clients who are in the game and have already downloaded the map? Is the game running noticeably worse for them too, not just showing a higher number in the scoreboard?

Yep. Considering the ones who have downloaded the map already are the only ones playing.

By the way this doesn’t always happen 100% of the time. Sometimes everyone’s ping is normal.

• Developer

I asked that question because players still exist while they’re transitioning and may show on the scoreboard (and in some game modes are spawning “ghosts” right now, which we’ve likely resolved per the hotfix’s patch notes)

• Theres also that bug where you don’t download the map but stick on the blue loading screen for ever.

• @lemonater47:

Theres also that bug where you don’t download the map but stick on the blue loading screen for ever.

Gah, it’s the worst one, so annoying.