Flail buffs/new ability?

• Well I believe H E X E N said it best in his flail tactics video “this weapon sucks” and he’s right don’t get me wrong that feeling of being the idiot charging into a fight with a mini wreaking ball is fun.

Its damage actual isn’t that bad you can 3 shot knights and 2 shot ever thing else. (depending where you hit them)
    But in terms of speed and reach your the definition of a whale. I can understand the reach of the weapon flails weren’t know for there reach but the speed could definitely use a buff. I mean its a stick a metal chain and a steel ball im pretty sure you could swing something like that around pretty fast. (don’t quote me on that)

The flail NEEDS the heater shield even if the buckler worked you still feel less protected then if you just didn’t carry a shield. (besides the knight is the shield expert he should be able to use all the shields in game) It feels like when ever I see a buckler knight first I laugh a bit and say “this is going to be easy”

New flail ability? (bear with me here)

Well you’ve got a weapon that gains momentum as it swings…. why not give the player the option to “charge up the momentum in the swings” just like the sling animations and “charge meter” you could hold LMB and the player would start swinging the flail above his head like the sling to gain power. Then let go of LMB to deliver a stronger version of the over head putting more force behind your hit.

Powering up the attacked like the sling would be easy to interrupt to prevent “spamming” this ability would be great as an opener to a fight or letting a teammate hold an enemy in place while you charge up the attack as a finisher putting more emphasis on the flail being a support weapon. (which is kind of what it is now)

Well that’s the brunt of my idea but maybe we could also give the flails to MAA. (I might be wrong)
    But historically weren’t flail men or mace men what ever they were called were light armored and fast moving to be skirmishers

If you’ve got a better idea id love to hear it.

• Personally I love the flail. The buckler just needs to be more like the MAA and archer buckler.

They actually block things.

Offensively its not a bad weapon.

• when hexen made the video, it was before the flail got buffed.

it’s actually quite good, and a big drawback is the buckler shield. It’s actually decenlty useful, not as much against archers but for blocking you just have to aim like you’re parrying like most shields. Now that there’s more less stam drain for shield users, it’s certainly a viable weapon. Have you seen the speed of the shield bash?

• Flail shield bash is ridonk

• Still want to see a flail with a heater and something to discern it as different. The saving grace of the flail atm is a relatively hard to see combo animation, low combo times, and it’s underused so generally players don’t know how to react to it and what strategies you might attempt with it.

• HEXENs video was made when the Flails were utterly shit - but they got buffed to “usable” (but not “viable”) in the summer patch. And with the Buckler changes the Flail seems to be pretty decent right now. It still has the tendency of dodging your enemy or running into badly aimed defenses because of the odd hit tracers and its attack values are still sub-par when compared with other weapons.

BUT: It has two advantages:
    (A) You use both hands for attacking. This makes defending against a flail much harder in close quarters because you have to keep track of that metal ball on a chain and the Buckler. If you concentrate too much on the former you will be bashed to death and if you concentrate too much on the latter you will receive heavy blows (it is one of the harder hitting onehanded weapons after all).
    (B) The attacks are very different. You got those close to mid ranged sweeping strikes and the fast shield stab. This gives the wielder a lot of options. So if the Flail was to come with a different shield it should still have the stab ability.

Before buffing a weapon that was quite underused and just received a recent buff I would rather see how it perform now. If it does need a buff I think a speed increase (combo times) would be the most sensible approach.

• I think flails should work completely different then normal weapons

i think you should be able to hold the attack and keep flailin around until you release left mouse button, when you attack

and i think the buckler should be changed into a small steel buckler, that you cant hold but RMB and works like normal parrys :)

then i would use it. the reason i dont use flail is because of the shitty buckler

• Maybe add this little Buckler as an additional option (making it the “shieldless” option for flails).

But just holding lmb is too easy and onesided for me. Better cut down the combo times by a lot - the effect is similar but you have more control and it uses already existing mechanics.

• @Evil:

Maybe add this little Buckler as an additional option (making it the “shieldless” option for flails).

But just holding lmb is too easy and onesided for me. Better cut down the combo times by a lot - the effect is similar but you have more control and it uses already existing mechanics.

And parry things with your fist?

The handle on the flail isn’t very big you realise.

better of to redo the flail buckler a bit so it works more like the other bucklers. I play javelin and that buckler is fine.

• @lemonater47:

And parry things with your fist?

Technically - yes

I was talking about CRUSHEDs tiny Buckler that works almost like parry not about a flail setup without defense item.

• ^thats a real buckler ( in the picture )

not the round shield we call “buckler” atm

it should work 100% like a parry

the buckler is only there so it makes sense and you dont parry with your arms

• I would love that tbh. I think the flail could be a cool weapon if done right

• I’ve heard a lot of interest from Torn Banner to give flails heater shields because they were able to give knight heater shields in DW, something about making it easier to copy the animations over. I think that’s really all they would need, and honestly the shield stab is just way too powerful and needs toning down.

• I miss the AOC special 360 flail attack :l

• Flail will never be good as long as you have that shield. Doesnt matter if heater shield or the round shield.

• @CRUSHED:

i think the buckler should be changed into a small steel buckler, that you cant hold but RMB and works like normal parry’s

Ill be honest that sounds awesome but how would that effect the other classes like Maa it doesn’t really seem liked you’d gain anything from equipping that shield. If they gave the “steel buckler” a parry wouldn’t that be the same as just parrying with your weapon? Its a buckler they could give it a faster riposte like how real buckler actual worked (don’t quote me on that) but with weapons like the broadsword and norse sword wouldn’t that just make the riposte even more lighting fast than they already are?

Since its a parry though I could see how feints and drags would be extremely important in fighting against a “steel buckler” user.

• @CRUSHED:

Flail will never be good as long as you have that shield. Doesnt matter if heater shield or the round shield.

Have you heard of the word “buff”? Yes its the opposite of the word “nerf”.

• @CRUSHED:

Flail will never be good as long as you have that shield. Doesnt matter if heater shield or the round shield.

No weapon is used best with a shield, it’s always a disadvantage

• What about adding it as an option instead of replacing the current buckler? This would give the Flail Knight some tertiary choices (Small Buckler, Buckler and Heater Shield).

What about doing something similar to Javelineers but replacing the Heater Shield with the Tower Shield to go Legionary style?

• If the flail would be super strong that weapon could even work without the ability to block maybe… You would have to rely a lot on your footwork then though