Chivalry: Combat Tutorial #2 - Advanced Combat

• Hello everyone,
    today we want to show you our advanced combat tutorial by Noxian and me.

We’ve summarized most of our tactics and tricks.

In the video you will find how to feint, use your movement, combos and make use of several bypasses to make your hit connect. Some more intermediate knowledge is also in the video.
    This time we have lots of examples and real combat situations and explain why this works and what to avoid when performing certain tricks.
    Of course we have saved the best for the end, you will find out how fast and intense combat gets when combining ALL of these.

I hope you will enjoy watching your second tutorial video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llnRxtazljg

If you have any suggestions, let us know!
    Also let us know what you want to see in one of the upcoming videos.

Our next project will feature team tactics and how to stay alive against more than one opponent.

Best Regards,
    -Shara

• Combat in servers has just been raised several bars higher. I’d imagine people are going to use combos, feints and mouse delaying a lot more now, if they’ve watched this video.

+1 once again. :)

• Keep up with the good work lads !

Edit: I still do not like your dancing sprint attacks, they feel ugly and buggy… it contrasts with the rest of the video.

• Great video, first post here is to tell you how great that was. I shall use this video to promote the game to my friends! I have 6 potential guys willing to buy!

• Omg please delete this video…now everyone will be playing with my secrets ;)

p.s. I really mean it, delete it or we gonna have a hard time playing haha

• Developer

This is the greatest video ever. Thank you so much for this Shara! LOVE what you are doing for the community.

• Next video should be:

Chivalry : Combat Tutorial #3 - We use everything that we learned in Combat Tutorial #2 on the games Lead Developer.

• Great tips!

• A very good tutorial video! It’s both entertaining and informative for new players; well done!

• Amazing tutorial, I really hope to see a MAA specific video in the future. Keep up the good work!

• But slash spam is the key to victory!

• @Andrew:

But slash spam is the key to victory!

I heard scoring a quad-decap-feed with a slash will unlock a golden helmet.
    Just a rumor, can you confirm? :P

• LOL.

• Awesome video, most of it i already knew, even the dancing part haha, i would do that myself.

Next video i think you should focus on ranged stuff, i think it will really help, i have a few friends including myself who have a hard time with ranged and get so mad at it and a buddy of mine rage quits a lot now cause he loves ranged weapons more than melee but sucks in this game.

Keep it up man, i subbed too :)

• @Heinrich6745:

Awesome video, most of it i already knew, even the dancing part haha, i would do that myself.

Next video i think you should focus on ranged stuff, i think it will really help, i have a few friends including myself who have a hard time with ranged and get so mad at it and a buddy of mine rage quits a lot now cause he loves ranged weapons more than melee but sucks in this game.

Keep it up man, i subbed too :)

“Oh the bravery of being out of range… KILL THE ARCHERS!”

NONONONONO, I won’t help archers!
    Melee combat is too amazing to promote range combat!

I’m just kidding. :P

I don’t know what to say about archery, I mean it’s all about getting used to “bullet traveltime” and “bullet drop”, that’s paired with prediction and I mean there’s nothing I could explain in depth except getting used to how the arrows fly.
    Sure I can talk about techniques how I “teach” aiming, like using your wrists for fine movement and arm for “hard-aiming”. If that’s what you mean, I can do that. But I can’t really tell how to use archery, since it all depends on distance and if the target is standing still or moving, if it’s moving, how fast is it moving?!

If your friend is playing as a crossbow archer (even regular bow-archers) you might want to support him and see if you can help him out as he reloads, cover him and maybe call out a target to focus fire. There’s a video of Noxian and me playing a 2vX on a pretty empty server, you can see how effective it is, when calling targets and protecting the crossbow man. Crossbows can oneshot or weaken significantly, so you might want to try sticking together and “block” their movement, by standing in their way. You will get your share of melee combat when protecting an archer, they draw alot of aggro.

Here’s the video I was talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIHdE7_jnAs
    But it’s in German, maybe we’ll record some more gameplay/teamplay with english voice-overs and probably lots of trash-talk. :D

My impression of archery in Chivalry is to be as annoying as you can possibly be. You don’t really score alot of kills, all you do is farm assists, weaken opponents as they try to get in melee range and have a MaA, Knight or Vanguard finish them off. Often it’s enough to get hit during a fight by an archer to interrupt one attack, that opens you up and gets you killed.

Other than that, I think the only reason to really make an archery / range combat video is to talk about different strategies when being engaged, like how to disengage properly or stay alive, or overcome and enemy with a simple dagger.

But #3 will be about team tactics and if Chivalry has the duel mode going and supports 2v2 / 3v3 we will be making tactics for it and explain what and why we use this approach rather than sprinting in and go for 1v1 - 1v1. We’ve already come up with great ideas that we’re trying to improve on right now and we try to put them into use on larger battles, like fighting 2v4+ I think that will be interesting. Another thing we want to include in our next video would be “how to stay alive (1vX)”.

Best Regards,
    -Shara

• Developer

I have some ideas for an archer video, might do one myself once I return to a sane level of busyiness, or we could talk later on it Shara :).

• @Tibberius:

I have some ideas for an archer video, might do one myself once I return to a sane level of busyiness, or we could talk later on it Shara :).

Sounds good! Anytime, hit me up on steam or via PM. :)

On a side note, I think this game should have golden helmets!

• This was an awesome vid, I feel like tutorial #3 should be on 'fighting in groups without taking out your entire team". :D More people need to see how to make precise attacks, or alter a swing when need be, when you have a teammate around.

But, again great vid, I think it will definitely interest a lot of people in this game.