Clientside customization option please?

• Please don’t list which colors are for which team, I know. I can easily identify single players. The problem is in crowds where you have to identify every single player instead of having the teams clearly separated into two blobs of red/blue. If you’re worried about people using the least visible customization and setting everyone else to red/blue then why not make it use the local player’s customization.

Noone loses with an option.

• When you place your cross hair dot on players it turns red or blue to signify teammate or foe. That should help

• @Retsnom:

When you place your cross hair dot on players it turns red or blue to signify teammate or foe. That should help

I’m aware. It’s still a pain in the ass with crowds.

• @Altimor:

Noone loses with an option.

If you make it possible to turn off customization clientside everybody loses a lot of options.

Because you can not use it for any other purposes than looking at it yourself as you can’t be sure how you are seen by the enemy. The best thing about customization is being able to decide how you are seen. If every player could turn it off for himself you would never know how you appear to your enemy - which is stupid and makes customization options a “fake feature”.

Just think about Team Fortress with clientside hat disabling or Legue of Legends with clientside skin disabling.

Having a serverside option would be okay - as everyone who know that he now appears as generic blue/red mook to everyone else.

• @Evil:

If you make it possible to turn off customization clientside everybody loses a lot of options.

Because you can not use it for any other purposes than looking at it yourself as you can’t be sure how you are seen by the enemy. The best thing about customization is being able to decide how you are seen. If every player could turn it off for himself you would never know how you appear to your enemy - which is stupid and makes customization options a “fake feature”.

Just think about Team Fortress with clientside hat disabling or Legue of Legends with clientside skin disabling.

Having a serverside option would be okay - as everyone who know that he now appears as generic blue/red mook to everyone else.

Why do you need to know how other people see you? TF2 has also had clientside hat disabling on sv_pure 0 servers for a while. It used to be possible on all servers but it broke with server->client items_game.txt sync.

• This is a feature that is available in Chiv+ and will soon be available without balance changes.

I plan to make it so that it can be disabled by server operators, though (i.e. Admins can force you to use customization, if they want).

• The character models look different anyway. Even the helmets.

Identifying targets is part of the game.

• @Evil:

what the fuck?

• Well what evil minion is saying makes a lot of sense especially on first person only servers.

• Except that customization doesnt make a difference and it doesnt matter “how you are seen by the enemy” lol

• @CRUSHED:

Except that customization doesnt make a difference and it doesnt matter “how you are seen by the enemy” lol

Yeah it does. I know who to avoid in Combat running away screaming RETREAT.

• @lemonater47:

Yeah it does. I know who to avoid in Combat running away screaming RETREAT.

Then turning off customization would only put you at a disadvantage.

The idea that customization is useless because people on the server MIGHT not be able to see is silly.

• There should always have been a client side and server side ability to disable customization but it seems unlikely considering TB sells helmets

The amount of team killing wars I’ve seen break out over mistaken team identity is ridiculous and can only be solved by making this game once again red vs blue

• People are blind. I have no trouble in identifying who’s who even when its dark. Most team killing wars happen with children after a careless action. Mistaken identity usually comes with an apology.

Hell even the the vanguard models of each are different. Their helmets. As if a blue dot and a name at the bottom of the screen aren’t enough.

More people forget what team they are on.

Target identification is part of the game I like games like that.

• More people forget to do anything but LMB.

I see very few cases of mistaken identities nowadays.

• @lemonater47:

People are blind. I have no trouble in identifying who’s who even when its dark. Most team killing wars happen with children after a careless action. Mistaken identity usually comes with an apology.

Hell even the the vanguard models of each are different. Their helmets. As if a blue dot and a name at the bottom of the screen aren’t enough.

More people forget what team they are on.

Target identification is part of the game I like games like that.

The dot requires you to mouse over everyone in a crowd. At release you could look at a crowd and instantly know who was on what team.

• You don’t rely solely on the dot. Character model, colours and name are the other things. Model and colours give it away pretty damn quickly.

Think and swing later. Parry if you have to. Or just get good at identifying people.

• @lemonater47:

People are blind

Great so these people you perceive as “blind” will need an option to disable customization

@lemonater47:

I have no trouble in identifying who’s who even when its dark.

Congratulations you can tick or untick the button depending on how it’s implemented to keep customization on

@lemonater47:

Most team killing wars happen with children after a careless action.

Some, not most. So basically because an option wont eliminate 100% of the TK problem we shouldn’t fix some of it? clever

@lemonater47:

Hell even the the vanguard models of each are different.

Yay 25% of the classes have a minor difference, that should put us well on our way to solving this…

@lemonater47:

As if a blue dot and a name at the bottom of the screen aren’t enough.

A very weak attempt to fix the problem that clearly hasn’t worked

@lemonater47:

Target identification is part of the game

A very poor inclusion in an online game

There are very few valid points that can be made against having the option to disable customization and they’re along the lines of

• TB makes money out of it
    • TB are unable to code this in
    • TB has no time to do this

Since NabsterHax is creating/has created something that disables customization most points have been overcome, TB could adapt something that lets custom helmets remain but colours be fixed.

• Meh its not torn banners job to cater for children who retaliate for an accidental hit for what ever reason. Mis identification almost never happens nowadays. Last time I remember it happening was with a player who was actually physically colourblind. And that was ages ago. Doesn’t really happen anymore. Hell many of my colours I use are white, gold and black. I don’t get someone walking up to me and hitting me.

Play red orchestra 2 then complain about teamkilling due to mis identification for this game.

• @lemonater47:

Meh its not torn banners job to cater for children who retaliate for an accidental hit for what ever reason. Mis identification almost never happens nowadays. Last time I remember it happening was with a player who was actually physically colourblind. And that was ages ago. Doesn’t really happen anymore. Hell many of my colours I use are white, gold and black. I don’t get someone walking up to me and hitting me.

Play red orchestra 2 then complain about teamkilling due to mis identification for this game.

I’ve also rarely had problems with team killing because of it. The problem is it slows down my decision making in crowded fights.