Attack on Gauntlet

• This mod was a lot of fun, but there are several things you should change about this mod: the winner should be decided by who had the longest kill streak (became the largest titan) and NOT who has the most kills such as the ffa format.

Archer should probably be locked. When you get big, archers completely devastate you and there is nothing you can do to stop it.

Small players should move slower, the stupidly fast warping movement speed isn’t fun to fight against when you’re little, or trying to hit them when you’ve achieved massive size. It benefits lmb spamming zweiguards who just want to kill you then die immediately afterwards.

Killing enough players (say 5 in a row) should instantly boost your hp back to full, allowing massive kill streaks to be rewarded further. This is to help aid you as when you’ve become bigger, players will target you specifically, ignoring everyone else.

By the end of it all, I was so massive I could see over the hill as players flooded towards me to slay the giant. But my massive collision radius prevented anyone from touching me :P

• Probably you know this game Gauntlet, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1q5n-nofxA

• Developer

It definitely turned out a lot better than anyone was expecting.

the winner should be decided by who had the longest kill streak (became the largest titan) and NOT who has the most kills such as the ffa format.

Yeah, Steve was saying the same thing last night. It makes sense. We’re also trying to think of ways to apply it to TD.

Archer should probably be locked. When you get big, archers completely devastate you and there is nothing you can do to stop it.

z4z4z4z4z4z4

Yes, not sure exactly what to do about them, but the archers are pretty ridiculous. Maybe scaling projectile damage? Taking them out altogether is kind of a last resort thing but maybe.

Small players should move slower, the stupidly fast warping movement speed isn’t fun to fight against when you’re little, or trying to hit them when you’ve achieved massive size. It benefits lmb spamming zweiguards who just want to kill you then die immediately afterwards.

Not sure about that yet. I thought the little mini dudes running around was hilarious.

Killing enough players (say 5 in a row) should instantly boost your hp back to full, allowing massive kill streaks to be rewarded further. This is to help aid you as when you’ve become bigger, players will target you specifically, ignoring everyone else.

We decided that we need to heal players a bit after every kill last night too. There’s also the ‘falling through terrain’ issue that happens occasionally when you score kills, especially on Moor. And the problem with the UTWaterVolume on Cistern (i.e. your pawn is so small that it starts ‘swimming’).

Not that much effort was put into it, because we had no idea it would even be this playable. No one else on the team knew it was implemented until the conversation somehow turned to it last night and I brought it up to show it off (did it a couple weeks ago for this modding tutorial; not my idea, someone else (Steve? Rich? Sly?) came up with it, I just figured it would be nice for an example mod). It’s definitely going to get some more love now though

• Developer

@loomerama:

Probably you know this game Gauntlet, right?

Oooooooooo

• All I know is, this mod has potential. It was really a lot of fun, being the super massive titan fighting the little monsters below my feet. I kinda wish I could stomp on them :P

Kick also ceases to function when you’ve gotten big enough, and hitting players directly at your feet becomes near impossible because your weapon will likely hit something else on the way down and prevent them from being hit. I found the spear was probably the best weapon for being giant, since you could stab straight down with it and hit feet huggers.

Spear reach also becomes massive.

As far as this mod goes, I’d love to see functionality improved on, for example, in my screenshots above, I couldn’t move anymore. I was completely stuck there until the end of round, getting only occasional kills from players who wanted to see the jötnar and came too close to my war axe.

Does your damage scale as you increase in size? A player said my war axe one shot him. I know your health goes up, but you can’t actually achieve the next milestone of your maximum hp until you’ve gotten hit again (then you’ll fully regenerate to the new maximum hp)

I’d love to see archer damage scale as you increase in size. Starting out, your projectiles should only effect players of similar size. Once you’ve become giant, I want to see super massive arrows and pebbles (because giant archers are a rarity anyway… they die too fast on 32 player ffa servers). Similarly, a tiny archer shouldn’t even make a giant flinch from his tiny arrows.

And please, keep supporting this mod! This fills a certain power hungry desire of being a super massive giant and slaughtering the peasants below.

• @loomerama:

Probably you know this game Gauntlet, right?

Yeah, I’ve seen that one. Never played it though. Looks like a lot of fun

• Developer

@Gauntlet:

Does your damage scale as you increase in size?

Nah, only the size and health are scaling right now. You also start at 100% health despite being 60% of normal size.

@Gauntlet:

And please, keep supporting this mod! This fills a certain power hungry desire of being a super massive giant and slaughtering the peasants below.

;D

• This screenshot is priceless, it looks like the knight was crushed by my giant severed leg. Also probably the biggest I have ever gotten. ~18 kills in a row

• Developer

Love this mod as well, turned out way more fun than expected. Should giants falling kill people they land on? Agree that TD and giant archer tweaks could be very interesting.

• Hilarious mod.

• @Tibberius:

Should giants falling kill people they land on? Agree that TD and giant archer tweaks could be very interesting.

Giants falling killing tiny men below ? Sure! Just make it for the super giants only, I don’t want to be crushed by someone whose only a few scaled sizes bigger than myself. Though it sounds like a coding nightmare because the ragdolls are handled client sided, and to other players you would just appear to die randomly if the ragdoll appeared differently for them. Not sure what you mean by TD.

Functionality was greatly improved with your recent update to this mod, I haven’t fallen through the ground once today. I’d like to see giants being able to step over smaller players. At the moment, if you get mobbed by a bunch of tiny men, you either jump and crowd surf on their heads or get completely stuck in place with no way out. Collision will be the hardest aspect of this mod to tackle, but it’s very important to be done right.

Everyone loves getting huge, and there are some things that won’t be completely fixable (getting stuck or locked out of smaller areas), but if you can at least make fighting as a giant more feasible than I would consider this a great success.

• @Gauntlet:

Everyone loves getting huge, and there are some things that won’t be completely fixable (getting stuck or locked out of smaller areas), but if you can at least make fighting as a giant more feasible than I would consider this a great success.

I believe Crustacean said that damage and stamina would also be scaled in a later iteration. He also said something about trying to make it easier for giants to hit people.

• Developer

Steve suggested we move this out of off-topic to get a little more attention on the thread:

• Sounds like a plan. I originally threw this in off-topic because I didn’t want to make a thread for you guys about your own mod. It would feel weird