New parry system is broken

• I try to be brief. I am 47 vanguard player, playing chivalry medieval warfare only. It was pretty good game until latest patch came out.

Before the patch you could block instantly if u missed a blow. But despite seeming ease, it costed you much. For example you play vanguard vs maa 1v1. If you missed a blow- it costed you stamina. if you instablocked - it costed you stamina aswell. And if during the process your opponent landed blow on your block - it costed you stamina third time! It means you have triple stamina loss for one successful instant block. It was rly good penalty system and it could save you life if u went 1 vs 2/3/4.

but these were great days.

Now we have that new-added parry block. Honestly, as a semi-pro player, i dont understand why it was invented into game. Lets look into typical 1v1 scenario (again vanguard vs maa)

What was before patch? Before patch you could hit your opponent’s block and he could hit you back instantly. But in this counter-attack moment you could block aswell. so it looked like :hit-block-counter-attack-block.

What do we have now? 100% save thing. You dont need combo parry. There is absolutely no reason why you want to use combo parry during combat. It does not give you a tactical edge. If you hit and combo parry - you will ruin your own timing. Opponent whether will counter attack you, or will block with same success. You cannot actually continue your attack as a COMBO after that combo block - it puts an end to your combo (for bug or evil purpose). So even if opponent responded to your combo parry with premature block, you still will not be able to hit him, because all weapons have SAME block speed and he has plenty of time to block second time. You will not be able to hit him except having rly fast weapon in your hand like nordswoud, shortsword, some kind of dagger etc. But that is ridiculous. It is already hard to fight vs good maa, not its just impossible.

It is ok if you decided to put that combo block, tho it is useless. But please bring back instant block again. Because without it gameplay is ruined. If you go vs maa, you simply wont be able to kill him. If u miss a hit, he will just hit you. If you have zweihander with you - it will take AGES to regain that ability to block again (during to slow animation). It takes us to a situation when level 10 maa player can easely outplay skilled player just because he dodges and attacks you pretty easely having that ultra wide time span.

I hope to get official response on this message. And i hope i am not the one who has noticed that.

• CF2P can be done just as fast as the panic parry, it just makes it harder to screw up.

• You’re straight up wrong OP. CftP can be performed as fast as a panic parry. Instead of swinging and missing the MaA why not use a feint? A kick? Fancy footwork? Jump to seem like you’re attacking? Spin? Switch to a faster weapon designed to duel the quick classes? You have many options. We are also getting parry to parry which will increase survivability in a fight where you are outnumbered. Get used to it. It isn’t going anywhere.

• Learn how to CFTP. It’s still possible to do what panic parry did for you, it just takes a little more effort.

• @fuda:

but these were great days.

No they were not - the insta-block you mentioned made combat far too forgiving as you could just parry almost all the time even if you just missed an attack. It also made new players run out of stamina in seconds as they would attack then miss then panic parry. Pretty unfun for almost everyone.

@fuda:

There is absolutely no reason why you want to use combo parry during combat. It does not give you a tactical edge.

Hit trading and delayed strikes. With proper timing (and probably footwork) you can use combo parry to deliver a swift blow and parry the slower attack just in time - which is very hard but feels pretty awesome if you make it. Its basically a reverse riposte - hit first parry second.

Then you can use combo block with shields. As you can hold it is works almost as the old panic parry - but it requires a shield, costs less stamina, is a little harder to do and somewhat more vulnerable to kicks (but in return less vulnerable to feints). If you want it the “old way” just try a shield setup.

But what you are probably looking for is CFtP (Combo-Feint to Parry). Its very simple: Instead of performing a single strike you start a combo. If in need of defense feint the combo and block. It also costs some stamina (all three parts have a cost attached to it) but it is a little harder to perform (a good thing because you won’t waste stamina by accident) and builds up a threat for your opponent (the combo strike).

Its also less forgiving as going into combo might cost additional stamina if you miss again up to the point where you enter recovery, feint or use combo parry. This way unaimed strikes an clueless slashing around won’t go unpunished as easily as before.

• lol parry block? Just pls stop. Such semi-pro player. wow

• semi pro my ass

• I have found the game is desyncing a lot more when it comes to CftP, several times in a row it happened to me today when I was fighting, got my parry up, I didn’t animate, nor did they and the parry noise happened as expected. But no visual stuff. There have also been a marked increase in instances where swing don’t animate at all.

• I never liked panic parry. I have found as an archer I did use it often. It feels good to be punished for missing a swing now though. I’ll have to play a little more strategically now.

• this is how the game was before, it isnt something newly invented. the game before actually required you to know the range of not only your weapon but also your opponents. you shouldn’t be swinging out of range anyhow unless you want to bait someone or keep them out of range. as other said, cftp works the same, but without the panic parry, you need to be sure to draw a parry or land a successful strike and not just swing and miss because you can, there is punishment for missing, as there should be.

• Is CFTP really as fast as panic parry? I main MAA so I don’t really use it much, but from my recollection, it comes out a few frames later than a panic parry did. I just know that it was easier to hit someone doing a CFTP than it was someone doing a panic parry. Of course, the slight delay is easily mitigated with footwork so it doesn’t matter too much, but I thought that there was in fact a delay.

• If it is perfectly done there is no delay. But yeah most people will get a slight delay (the time it takes to press parry after pressing feint is the delay).

• @DemonicChocobo:

Is CFTP really as fast as panic parry? I main MAA so I don’t really use it much, but from my recollection, it comes out a few frames later than a panic parry did. I just know that it was easier to hit someone doing a CFTP than it was someone doing a panic parry. Of course, the slight delay is easily mitigated with footwork so it doesn’t matter too much, but I thought that there was in fact a delay.

Yes, that is true. It will be even more challenging to play vs faster class now. If we are talking about CFTP, you will notice that you cant block during rest 20% of ending animation. And that triple stamina penalty remains same. For missing strikes you had triple penalty stamina and you would be quite dead all the same except being able to fight back. In this situation if your opponent is good, it does not matter whether there is instant block or not. He will kill you all the same. But in general slower classes with shorter weapons have less opportunity to fight even vs one opponent. Ofc that could mean that game is now depend on better teamplaying, but practically it inclines balance towards fast classes.

• @DemonicChocobo:

Is CFTP really as fast as panic parry?

Potentially yes - but there is the delay that is your reaction time. Twice: Once when combo-feinting and once when parrying. If you manage to combo-feint instantly (which can be done with training as you get used to your weapons timings) you can make it work just like panic parry. Then you could also practice the whole move and reduce the delay to <your reaction="" time="">+<tiny error="" after="" release="">+<time between="" clicks="">. Which should be just enough to avoid getting feinted for your trouble.

The difference is that you pay a great part of the stamina cost in advance and in exchange you are not limited to parrying only. And panic parry had the problem of being too easy to trigger which resulted in additional stamina loss for defenders and a too small window of opportunity for attackers.</time></tiny></your>

• Ah yeah, just tried it out and you really can get rid of those delays. Come to think of it, didn’t a few people mess around with the keybinds a long time ago to make it so they could consistently be done instantly without any chance of the button press delays occuring?

• @DemonicChocobo:

Ah yeah, just tried it out and you really can get rid of those delays. Come to think of it, didn’t a few people mess around with the keybinds a long time ago to make it so they could consistently be done instantly without any chance of the button press delays occuring?

Yep some lazy bastards decided to exploit the game with a simple ini edit which meant that right click feinted and parried at the same time.

• I still find the idea to keep attacking to be able to block stupid. But it sure as hell is easier to play MAA now.

• @lemonater47:

Yep some lazy bastards decided to exploit the game with a simple ini edit which meant that right click feinted and parried at the same time.

Actually, you can do that in-game without .ini edits.

• Bindings=(Name=“key name goes here”,Command=“GBA_Fire | OnRelease GBA_Feint | OnRelease DoParry”)

im a bad person