Please, optimise the graphics better.

• During any fight on any server, my framerate will half. I will run in with 100fps, and fight with 50fps. That must be a bug of some kind, something that has been overlooked. It always happens, no matter how many people I fight at once, be it 1, 2 or a clusterf**k of 10, my FPS will always half. Despite whether my graphics settings are high, low or heavily customised, this will happen without fail. Any ideas on what the problem could be? Here are my specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-UD4H
    CPU: i7-3770k @ 3.5GHz
    GPU: MSI R9 290 minimal overclock
    SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB
    HDD: None
    Ram: 4GB Corsair Vengeance (I know this is pretty small, but will 8GB boost performance significantly?)
    PSU: NZXT 850w Hale90 V2
    CPU Cooler: NZXT Havik 140
    Case: CM Storm Stryker

• This can be drivers, recent or not, maybe some works better than other, or a bad power saving configuration by mistake idk, i got no probs with a 7870 and a i5 lol.

(I know this is pretty small, but will 8GB boost performance significantly?)

Unless you run big program in the backround while playing, no.

• I would absolutely recommend getting 8GB of RAM minimum. There may be services running in the background that you don’t know are eating resources. (I’m looking at you Norton)
    Also, try turning Ragdoll down to see if performance increases.

• In the mean time so you don’t get such drastic drops I would limit your FPS back down to 62 again. It will still drop but it won’t half.

• 4GB of ram is enough for gaming actually, providing that you close all the background applications, especially net browsers, as they are ram hogs usually. The only game that could choke on 4GB is maxed out BF4.

You won’t notice any difference in Chivalry with 8GB, it takes around 1.5GB.
    RAM is cheap though, 8GB is a reasonable choice now, you’ll notice a general performance improvement in Windows.

One more thing - do you have a vertical sync enabled in chiv? If yes, turn it off.

• Yeah they will only drop by 12… But it could help to make for a more fluent experience.

Did you disable the steam community?

• One of the problems is bad map design and optimizations. One of the worst map is Arena. For such a small map, a full server of 24+ = horrible FPS. One of the reasons for this is that many of the static meshes are not fully sealed thus making the light maps far more complex than they need to be. Just look up in the tunnels on the LTS version and you will see sky through the misalignment. The same is true if you no clip around the map and see the bleacher seating not being sealed correctly. Visual map holes and all the peasant animations kill the FPS.

Another reason of course is FPS will decrease the more players are added. This adds more information to the netcode. There is a relationship between net traffic and FPS since the processor has to process both the graphics and what the net code tells it to render. Thus the more players the lower the FPS.

Most players with average PCs cannot play on servers greater than 24 players without it lagging FPS wise which can come across as lag. So stay away from servers with large player counts and high pings as that also effects your overall performance.

24 or less + 50 or less ping = best experience

Also try my INI and game tweaks, links found in my signature below.

• HALVE not HALF

• One more thing - do you have a vertical sync enabled in chiv? If yes, turn it off.

Your FPS should be capped to the refresh rate of your monitor going above this is a waste, if your monitor is 60hz, then cap it at 62 or there abouts and keep vsync on.

You need to type this in your console:

stat unitgraph

Then look at the numbers and graph. This will show you if your CPU or GPU is causing a problem. If you don’t know how to read it then take a screen shot of it when you are playing and your FPS dips. Then post it here and we can comment for you.

• Your FPS should be capped to the refresh rate of your monitor going above this is a waste, if your monitor is 60hz, then cap it at 62 or there abouts and keep vsync on.

Sarcasm ? v-sync = input lag, if i use it my movement aren’t sharp at all, you should never use it, for any reason especially if you want to play “competitive”.

• @Toll:

Your FPS should be capped to the refresh rate of your monitor going above this is a waste, if your monitor is 60hz, then cap it at 62 or there abouts and keep vsync on.

You need to type this in your console:

stat unitgraph

Then look at the numbers and graph. This will show you if your CPU or GPU is causing a problem. If you don’t know how to read it then take a screen shot of it when you are playing and your FPS dips. Then post it here and we can comment for you.

Sorry Toll but the more FPS the better as long as it is fairly smooth.

Here is why you want to set your FPS higher as quoted from the Chivalry Forums

A quick bit of maths with a Knights Sword War stab. Assuming a continues animation display (infinitely divisible).
    0.5 0.65 0.6 0.7 1.8 1.75

At 60 FPS:

30 FPS = 0.03 Frames per millisecond.
    60 FPS = 0.06 Frames per millisecond.
    120 FPS = .12 Frames per millisecond.

The windup for the stab is 0.5seconds
    @30FPS 15 frames of animation
    @60FPS 30 frames of animation
    @120FPS 60 frames of animation

Now if you look that a feint can happen within the first .3seconds of the windup you have:

@30FPS you have 9 frames maximum to read a feint.
    @60FPS you have 18 frames
    @120FPS you have 36 frames.

Now we can all probably agree that at 30FPS having only 9 frames to read a feint would suck ass, and that is the longest possible feint, if the feint was a flash feint you may not even perceive the 3 frames it happened in.

18 Frames at 60 FPS is a different story, that is more than enough to pick up a slight change.

36 frames at 120FPS is more than ample. Your mind would get plenty of warning about that feint.

Your mind doesn’t work simply by ‘we only see 40FPS or whatever so anything above is wasted’ It doesn’t work that way. Having 120FPS will always be perceived as smoother and gives more visual information in the same amount of time. The brain will adapt more to use this extra information if it is trained to do so.
    For example Air force fighter pilots undergo training where they are given about 3 frames of an image of an aircraft at 60fps. They are then required to identify the make and model of this aircraft. (Actual numbers are different, but similar) Most start off pretty crap at this, then get better with training.

• I’ve noticed my framerate will sometimes drop to about 50 fps from 120 when there’s a lot going on close together in TO. I never noticed on my previous 6 year old LCD, but on 120hz with lightboost it’s an extremely noticeable drop.

• Retsnom, whilst the maths is good you are missing an entire factor. The refresh rate of the monitor.

A 60hz monitor will only ever update the screen every 60ms, no more, no less. If your video card punches out 2 frames within 60ms, the monitor will only display 1 of those frames, or if vsync is turned off it could display 1/2 of one frame and 1/2 of the other, ie tearing.

You will get a slightly better feeling though with high fps in that each and every frame will be as up-to-date as possible (minus hardware processing delays) for each refresh of the monitor’s image.

This is why 120hz monitors are great, it means that the monitor will display all 120 rendered frames each second, were has a 60hz monitor will only display, at best 60 frames. This is the prime reason why game engines have their fps capped by default to 62fps, as the vast majority of monitors are 60hz.

Plus you will see, if you do a lengthy search, that I performed those very calculations you showed many, many, many months ago for some argument or other hehe

• LOL, I can see that you copied and pasted some of your own argument for something else from 2013. I used a very, very similar argument, complete with fighter pilot reference as well. Haha Great minds think alike.

• I do have a 120hz monitor, and vsync is off. Anything under 90fps looks like 30 which also induces input lag. Any ideas?

• To be fair, Vsync only adds noticable amounts of input lag when various conditions are met. To get the best out of it you want your FPS output within 1-3 frames of your refresh rate. So running 120fps on a 60hz monitor with vysnc enabled is a bad idea. Cap your fps to 60-63fps so that vysnc doesn’t introduce input lag.
    Also it isn’t technically ‘input lag’ as the the input is being accepted by the game quite quickly, the display you are seeing is what it delayed, not the input.

From what I understand depending on the monitors hardware if you don’t closely match your FPS with the monitors refresh rate it can introduce extra delay.

Try switching your monitor to 60hz, capping the engine to 62fps and enabling vsync and see if that makes things smoother and feel more responsive.

• Well if you have an Nvidia card there are different levels of VSync that are available in the current drivers. You can always test those settings. I usually have my Stats FPS running every time I play and the online cap is 90 FPS but I can notice a difference from 90 to 60 and 60 to 30. It is all about smoothness and more updated info.

You can also adjust network card settings as well to get more packets up and down as well as other settings on most nic cards which can help or hurt your FPS depending on those settings if your nic card is doing some processing or your CPU is

• However if you need those trifling tiny bits of extra performance granted from fiddling with NIC settings you probably need to rethink your strategy.

The perceived smoothness increase very likely comes from less blur by having the same frame displayed twice or more on 120hz monitors.

You can’t really say if you really truly do notice a measurable difference between 90-60fps on a 60hz monitor unless you’ve done blind (preferably double blind) tests, which really who gives a shit on that level for this. We’d prefer to spend that time just hacking peoples heads off.

<60 fps on a 60hz monitor however counts big time.

• @Retsnom:

Well if you have an Nvidia card there are different levels of VSync that are available in the current drivers. You can always test those settings. I usually have my Stats FPS running every time I play and the online cap is 90 FPS but I can notice a difference from 90 to 60 and 60 to 30. It is all about smoothness and more updated info.

You can also adjust network card settings as well to get more packets up and down as well as other settings on most nic cards which can help or hurt your FPS depending on those settings if your nic card is doing some processing or your CPU is

The online cap is only 90fps if you have bSmoothFrameRate=FALSE. Turn it to bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE, then bump up the maximum FPS cap for 120 fps.

• One problem I used to encounter was serious framerate drops at any time. I thought an update may’ve reset my graphics or something odd, but it turned out to be that running a Dual-monitor setup was causing the lag.

I didn’t see anywhere in the thread that you run one or more monitors. If you do run more than one, try disconnecting the extras.