What is a combo block? (shields)

• With the new patch ive been hearing people talk about a mechanic called combo blocking, exclusive to shield type setups? Also that its difficult to perform. I’ve never heard of this until recently, not even back before the june patch. Can somebody help me out here and explain this mechanic to me in detail?

• I think they are referring to comboing into parry, which is not new but was bugged and was registering most times as a panic parry.
    It is not reserved to the shields though.

To do it, press block during and attack release, like you would do with an attack input to combo into another attack.

• huh? thats not how you combo feint to parry. and its not that anyways

• blocking during an attacks release is how a panic parry worked, not cftp

EDIT: nevermind? i just tried exactly what you said and it basically did a cftp for me by pressing one button…wtf, is this a bug? did not mention this in the patch notes

• @Psyfon:

With the new patch ive been hearing people talk about a mechanic called combo blocking, exclusive to shield type setups?

Its combo parry with a shield. You press and hold parry (RMB) during release. This way instead of going to combo windup or recovery after your strike you go straight into a block. As you are holding the button and the shield block can be held you are protected (if aimed right).

Think of: Strike with one arm then raise the shield with another (not much choice here if you are a tetrapod) to protect from counter attacks or other incoming bad things.

• @Psyfon:

huh? thats not how you combo feint to parry. and its not that anyways

It’s not what I said. Combo into parry / combo parry whatever it’s not new, but it has been fixed, this + panic parry were the replacement to cftp. They removed panic parry, but they kept, and fixed combo parry.

• Panic parry - press parry/block in recovery. This no longer works.
    Combo Parry - press parry during RELEASE. This still works.
    CFTP - Combo, feint, then parry. This also works now.

• @Babar:

I think they are referring to comboing into parry, which is not new but was bugged and was registering most times as a panic parry.

Not quite.

Most people who used shields, used much faster weapons with shorter release times, so by the time they actually pressed their block button, they were already in recovery.

Anyway @ OP

Yes, combo-blocking is the same as combo-parrying… they say block for shields. Pressing parry/block during the release of your attack (NOT RECOVERY) will queue up a parry/block. With shields, you’d have to hold it afterwards. Costs 10 stamina.

• Yes, to clarify for everyone you parry with a weapon and you block with a shield….zzzzz…

• @giantyak:

Yes, to clarify for everyone you parry with a weapon and you block with a shield….zzzzz…

Which is not nitpicking because the mechnics work differently even though they use the same restraints and hitbox. Combo block is one of the most significant differences (its a solid defensive option while combo parry is more on an gimmick).